Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
formerly_twixanddud

Some of my favorites from yesterday

There are advantages to growing dayliies in pots :o)

Last Snowflake, Aaron Brown and Black Falcon Ritual

Fear Not joins in the fun... Last Snowflake, Aaron Brown, Black Falcon Ritual and Fear Not

And I remembered to add in Michael Bennett later, mid afternoon... Last Snowflake, Aaron Brown, Black Falcon Ritual and Fear Not

Thanks for looking, Laura

Comments (14)

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Laura: Your absolutely right :-).
    Lovely photos and you must be happy with all those blooms. Fear Not looks exceptionally good.

Julia

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Love all those watermarks! You'll have to tell me how Last Snowflake does for you. I've been wanting to add it but was afraid it might be too tender. Michael Bennett is the other one I don't grow, but it looks like a beauty.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

They all look very lovely. Nice to be able to move them around. Thanks you for posting. I was impressed with your bloom on Black Falcon Ritual.
    kay

• shive
    10 years ago

The second photo is my favorite. I love how Last Snowflake, Aaron Brown, Black Falcon Ritual and Fear Not look together! Are those new ones for you?

Debra

• User
    10 years ago

They are all so beautiful! Is Black Falcon Ritual really that purple (vs red purple) off camera? If so, I will be very excited to say that mine just arrived and I can look forward to some great purple color next year....
    Robyn

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Absolutely wonderful pictures of absolutely wonderful daylilies. They are all my favorites!! Avedon

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I jus love that LAST SNOWFLAKE. its always a beauty.

jean

• deangreen
    10 years ago

very nice group of daylilies! pretty

• nat4b
    10 years ago

They are all so beautiful! I especially like Last Snowflake, perfect bloom.
    How do you overwinter them in pots?

• polymerous
    10 years ago

What a lovely collection of blooms! Thanks for showing it to us!

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Love those watermarks, some exceptional looking daylilies. I've always liked the looks of Black Falcon Ritual & it looks especially pretty here.

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

This is probably a dumb question, but what kind of soil do you use when growing in pots?

• flowergirl70ks
    10 years ago

This is probably a dumb question, but what kind of soil do you use when growing in pots?

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks again for looking and thank you all for the nice comments.

Chris, I've had Last Snowflake for 3 years, in a pot. Since I *think* I can keep some of my daylilies safe from the deer in the ground now, I am going to try planting 2 of the 4 fans in the ground in a couple of weeks and see how it does in the ground.

Debra, I've had Last Snowflake for three years, and the other three for two years. I just got Michael Bennett last August or September.

Robyn, it really is that purple or even a darker black/purple for me in the morning. All my daylilies get full afternoon sun, so BFR does change to more of a reddish purple after the hot sun is on it. Here's a picture taken late afternoon...

Nat, I put all my potted dayllies, clematis, hostas and heucheras in our attached unheated garage over the winter. I've been doing this for four or five years, and there have only been a couple that I have lost (that I can remember, Moonlit Masquerade, twice, and Desire of Nations - ouch). I usually put them in the garage sometime in December and leave them in until April or so, depending on weather. I usually give them a little water once during that time - but I forgot this past winter and didn't lose any plants.

Flowergirl, I don't know what other people do, but I make a mix of Miracle Grow potting mix and Fafard aged pine bark (soil conditioner). I usually throw some Osmocote in too when I plant them if I remember, but I am really bad about fertilizing after that. I really need to get into a routine of fertilizing, I'm sure the daylilies would perform better and be happier.