Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani_plus_2

Pod Hussies of 2012

dani_plus_2
11 years ago

Have we had this thread yet? If we did, ignore me! With the drought some of the ones that normally don't set for me are thriving. Most, though, wouldn't set at all or would start a pod and then abort a "chamber" of the pod and the rest would shrivel and fall off. Soooo frustrating, but for the better for me this year. I've got no room and need to make more beds AGAIN. PLEASE keep me away from the toothy seeds on the LA this year. Seriously.

Highland Pinched Fingers: The clear winner with 48 pods and counting. Never used this one before so I'm excited for the crosses. Bloomed a long time. Not sure what it took with or how many pods each. i gave up labeling everything this year since nothing was taking and it took too much time. I've put H. United We Stand, Cameroons, H. Dragonfire, Backberry Dragon, Forestlake Raggamuffin, Tetrina's Grand-daughter, Lemon Fringed Pastel, Moonlit Masquerade and Neon Flamingo on it. With that many pods I bet I'll get something good out of it.

Lavender Blue Baby: Always sets well for me with 16. I believe it took with Fancy Face and Pattern Maker. Give me some fancy babies!

Cameroons: Good overall setter...takes some difficult pollens. 18 I put everything brightly colored with it.

Janice Brown: This one never takes for me, but this year has 24. Took some difficult pollens, too (Pattern Maker)! Others I put on were Pink Stripes, Fizziwig, Stargate Portal, Lavender Blue Baby and Snake in the grass boo. We'll see what we get.

Trahlyta: On the low end, but still set in this heat. 7 took Heavenly Angel Ice and Pattern Maker

Bombay Silk: Same as Trahlyta, on the low end, but worth mentioning 6 Not sure what it took, but I tried mainly Heavenly Dragonfire, Blackberry Dragon and toothies with it.

Harvet Moth: A surprise for this year! It has never set pods so I'm thrilled with this year. 7 pods and the precise pollen I wanted it to take. I've bee trying for years to get these crosses so I'm crossing my fingers that they don't abort. So far so good. I've got pods set from Moonlit Masquerade, Wild Horses and Forestlake Raggamuffin on it. Woohoo!!!

Tetrinas Grand-daughter: Mentioning this one since it seems to take some difficult pollens for me. 7 pods off of 3 scapes but they were Klehm pollens. Notoriously hard. Angelique Fringes, Lemon Fringed Pastel and some Forestlake Raggamuffin thrown in.

Comments (7)

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sweet Butter Cream just started blooming so I'll those stats later. Haven't had much luck with her since she blooms so late, so this year might be the winner winner chicken dinner.

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I have lots of bee started pods in my yard each year. Honestly, I wish none of them would be there. They are a pain as I have to go and make sure I snap off all pods before they can get ripe.

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

SUNSHINE MELODY is the biggest hussy in our garden. It will take anything tet that you throw at it. I keep loading it with pods in the hope in I can get something very pretty with SM's vigor and constant bloom. It has no blooming season - just starts in and is one of the last to quit. Of course, BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS is a very willing mama, too. I'm finding she makes pretty babies, too. It's still putting out blooms now, when almost everything has stopped.

Nancy

• shive
    11 years ago

Dani - It sounds like you got some good crosses, even though so many would not set seed or aborted. I also had some that never set seed in the past that did well this year: Beyond the Sea and Frozen Margerita come to mind.

My top pod hussies were Westbourne Good Old Days, Wonder of It All, Texas Blue Eyes, Jitterbug Blues, Lexington Lace, Cary Grant, Extra Terrestrial, Mozambique Nights, Always Applique and Astral Voyager. My seedling "Rubber Maid" set with every pollen applied, even on 97 degree days. Shores of Time also would have been one of top pod hussies had it not gone dormant during the triple digit heat wave. I cut off all the scapes to allow it to preserve some energy.

Debra

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nancy- Sunshine Melody sounds like one I should look up!

Rita- The bee pods are a pain...but the bees were there first! ;op

Debra- Rubber Maid sdlg sounds like a winner for you! I'm glad you got some good seed. I'm not sure how the Westbournes would do for me, but I lik them! Rita always posts them so I've been keeping my eye out. Mozambique Nights: I always love it when you post than one. You'll surely get something good out of that one!

I'm not out of the woods yet. Even the bigger pods are losing their 3rd chamber and are just hanging on. A couple have been teasers since there is nothing inside them. Once again, probably for the better sine I have so much to plant already. LBB usually gives atleast 25 seeds per pod, so thats a ton of seeds without even getting too the big hussy, Highland Pinched Fingers! I don't know how many seeds she puts out, so it will be interesting.

• dementieva
    11 years ago

I was very selective in making seeds, mostly staying at 1 - 2 pods per scape max, and I didn't have any really difficult parents. BOLD MOVE and BODACIOUS BITE are always pretty good at making pods. MISSISSIPPI BLUES pods tended to shrivel and lose chambers more than others.

Here are some seed stats (I'm not counting seeds that seemed "bad" because they were shriveled or squishy):

Overall:

2011 TOTALS
    8 pods
    79 seeds
    9.9 seeds average per pod

2012 TOTALS
    33 pods
    233 seeds
    7.1 seeds average per pod

I only planned on planting about 100 seeds, so 233 was an excellent result. I planted 115.

Individual records:

Most efficient crosses:

BODACIOUS BITE X RED RAMPAGE
    2 pods
    32 seeds
    16 seeds average per pod

BOLD MOVE X RED RAMPAGE
    1 pod
    12 seeds
    12 seeds average per pod

Least efficient crosses:

SCREEN PATTERN X FIRE AGATE
    1 pod
    3 seeds
    3 seeds average per pod

RED RAMPAGE X SCREEN PATTERN
    1 pod
    4 seeds
    4 seeds average per pod

DARK REFLECTION X FIRE AGATE
    3 pods
    12 seeds
    4 seeds average per pod

MISSISSIPPI BLUES X RAY SOUTHWORTH
    2 pods
    8 seeds
    4 seeds average per pod

Best individual pod:

BODACIOUS BITE X RED RAMPAGE
    16 seeds (two pods each had 16)

Worst individual pod:
    DARK REFLECTION X FIRE AGATE
    1 seed

Nate

• lynxe
    11 years ago

Excellent ones = BEYOND THE SKY (Morss 08) and GASPING FOR BREATH (Niswonger 09). Neither has huge numbers of pods on it, but that's because I decided to leave them alone after a certain number, eg, GASPING has nine pods. I could very easily have kept using it until I exhausted the plant.

BTW I just love BEYOND THE SKY. One of my very favorite daylilies. Registered as an evergreen, but it has always performed admirably here. And with flawless flowers every time.

Another very good pod setter has been BLUES IN THE NIGHT, a Bud Bennett dip from 2010. Like the other two I mentioned, it has a decent number of pods, but not a huge number, but that was on purpose.

Also GREYWOODS GIDDY UP GIRL. What a beautiful flower! It's registered as a ML, but it started early and has kept chugging along. In fact, this thread reminded me to go check on it and, while I was out there, I stuck some pollen on one of the blooms.

Also good although most are bee pods = BROWN WITCH.

Would have been good every single time, and with any pollen I think = WAITING ON A CALL (Yost 03). Except that I purposefully avoided it this year. I have boatloads of seeds from last year that I never bothered to plant. I think every thing I used took. WOAC is very vigorous and, like every Yost daylily I grow, has great plant habit. But the flower would no longer be considered au courant.

"Haven't had much luck with her since she blooms so late"

Dani, it's very clearly past peak here, so choices with specific cultivars are obviously limited. But I still have lots of blooms to go. Partly it seems to be an extended bloom season, also MLs and lates, but I also have quite a bit of rebloom. Or did things bloom later, not earlier??? WHEN BEARS FLY, a midseason, has three scapes flowering merrily away. MY UTMOST FOR HIS HIGHEST has two scapes full of buds, but that one's a ML. I have VAMPIRE BAT, and I was just delighted when it put up an instant rebloom scape. It's in flower today in fact. SPARKLING CHAMPAGNE, another midseason daylily, is full of scapes still with a fair number of buds still to do. What's up with that one I wonder? Ditto RASPBERRY SUEDE.

Anyway, I am obviously on the verge of hijacking this thread, if not past it!

ROCK SOLID was a very good pod setter. Whether it'd be a great one I've no idea - like most things here, it got pollen haphazardly and because I happened to be standing near a bloom with pollen in my hand. (I'm clearly no hybridizer!) But it's still in bloom. Supposed to be a rebloomer, so I guess that's what it's doing.

Also quite good is SELF DETERMINATION, a ML.