Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Round form tall white - Any you know of?

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

I think I will be looking for the impossible but thought to post and see if anyone has or knows of a tall (over 32 inches),round form, 5.5 inch or greater bloom, white and hardy in the north.

I know I can find spiders/ufs in white but haven't found a round form with the above specs. Impossible?

Julia

Comments (13)

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

I just happened to upload a photo of 'Royal Frosting' last night. It is listed as being 36" tall and 5.5 inches and is rock-hardy in the north (a dormant). Mine is not quite that tall but perhaps it's not in a prime spot where it grows. I love this flower. Mine is very white, no cream.

Celeste

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll check that one out. Thanks for posting.

Julia

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

August Frost is an older Trimmer (probably from his NY days). Blooms in July here making me always think it should be called July Frost (smile).

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Big Snowbird for me regularly grows taller than the registered 28".

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Julia, I checked on the ATP Daylily Database and August Frost will meet your criteria, also consider an oldie called Swan Pond. Royal Frosting will probably make it, too. I love RF, have it on my Lily Auction want list. One thing about the ATP DL database, there are usually a number of pictures posted so you can get an idea of how the flower looks in other areas. I just did that with Big Snowbird and there is a really pretty clump photo, the flowers look very white. Avedon

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

Oh Avedon, you must have read my mind, lol! I almost mentioned Swan Pond. Someone sent it to me as a bonus years ago and what a nice plant it turned out to be. Blooms and blooms. Definitely taller here than registered, but my hesitation was that the flowers are smaller (at least here)...I'm not even sure they're five inches. However, it's such a good daylily.

Porcelain Ruffles is another oldie that is nice. I'm a bit iffy on the height as mine is now in shade, but I think when it grew in sun it was also taller than registered.

And, it seems for some us, Mal is having quite the year. This year it is tall enough, but, for me, this is the first year I've thought 'wow, what a daylily'...but, then, it can be hard here.

Michael Miller and White Mountain both grow here...but, for me, Michael Miller (the plant, lol) is far superior. I love the blooms on White Mountain (and it is taller than registered, both of them...for me), but it just hasn't really performed as well as I had hoped.

I love whites! Arctic Lace is one of my very favorites, but it's not having quite the year it has in the past, so I hesitate to recommend it. Prior to this year, I thought it was a superstar. I've downgraded it to just star, ha.

Good luck! It's amazing how many there are when you start to dig around.

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Avedon....Julia... if you want some of my Royal Frosting let me know. I can spare a few fans.

Celeste

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all. I really want to get over that 32" height.
    I just saw on Maryotts about Michael Miller being rust prone and possibly not winter hardy so that one is out.

Still looking and I need to check on Big Snowbird .

Julia

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Julia, I forgot I bought Hazel Ballard this year from Blueridge. It doesn't have any scapes, so I won't see it bloom until next year, I hope, but it is listed at 30" inches so may not work. I find that sometimes DLS grow taller than the registered height, but I have a longer growing season, may be why. There is a good picture of this one on AHS database, no pics on ATP DL database and the one picture on Tinker's makes it look pale yellow. Also looked at Snowy Apparition from 1979, another 30" height, but I am not sure if any of these are round enough for you. I will keep looking, see if I can come up with more. Avedon

• Edward_Kimball
    10 years ago

Shirley's Shangri-la meets your requirements. I have only had it two years and the scapes are 28" in my garden. They may grow a bit more before it starts to bloom.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Royal Frosting never grows three feet tall here; it is usually under 30" It is very white, but on the small side. Swan Pond can vary a lot in height, but most of my plants do not reach 32". Big Snowbird does not exceed 32". You are asking a lot: in the past, most hybridizers didn't want a bagel to be that tall.

• Julia WV (6b)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the info. So far no winners in the 32 and above height. Time to check with some hybridizers.
    Yeah, I'm going to be picky on this one :-). Mission Impossible maybe.

Julia

• Forever_Lily11
    10 years ago

I live in Iowa and my big white one that I have is Nanuq; very hardy and beautiful, large blooms.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz