Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Kicking Off the Season

maximus7116
9 years ago

A few established daylilies chose today for their debut.

FIESTA FLING is a fast increaser with a good bud count:

CHARMING CHARLIE couldn't quite open all the way and can be splotchy, but this bloom was pretty good for an FFO:

Paul Owen's FABER SABRE is a new UF I added this year and I'm going to love it. I ordered more yellows this year, which is unusual for me:

SAFE ISLAND is always perfect, never blotchy, has great scapes and tons of buds. Love this daylily:

Chris

Comments (13)

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Looking good Chris. :-)

Julia

• Nancy
    9 years ago

They are starting off right. Fiesta Fling is really pretty, love Safe Island. I have South Sea Serenade that reminds me a bit of it, & it is a great daylily here.

• shive
    9 years ago

Faber Sabre looks like a nice bright yellow to go with your purples and violets and make them pop. After seeing a planting of hot colored daylilies at a rest stop last month, I've been looking for some taller yellows. With all my pinks, lavenders, and creams, my gardens look too anemic as a whole. Safe Island is a beauty. I added that one last year, but lost it in a pot over the winter. Almost everything I added last year died whether in pots of in the ground. Fiesta Flight looks like it has nice plant habits, and I love the patterned eye!

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 19:46

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Safe Island is so reliable! Faber Sabre is my pick, as it looks dashing.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, all. I think Faber Sabre looks dashing, too.

Debra, I can probably send you some Safe Island at the end of the summer, if you still want it. It's a good sized clump. I agree that yellow tends to make the other colors look better. I tend to buy more pinks and purples, but this year I added FS and three or four other UF-type yellows.

• gonegardening
    9 years ago

Looking good! Glad your season is getting going, yay! Fabre Sabre has been good here, even though I should probably move it to more sun.

Safe Island looks like a pretty pink...and is posing perfectly in your picture. Kudos to the photographer!

I've always liked yellows...just think green and yellow is such a nice combination...plus, light colors do help the darker ones shine...and then, even more, you can do the whole hot thing with orange and yellow. So, yeah, get on the yellow bandwagon!

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

A very nice kick-off indeed. Paul's plants do well here, and I really like the Fabre Sabre. Safe Island is a lovely bloom and Fiesta fling is a cheerful one. Keep posting.
    kay

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Safe Island is gorgeous and right up my ally.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Katie, I'm with you on the yellows and, for anyone interested, Safe Island is a great daylily.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

They are all very pretty for the start of your season. hope to see lots more.

jean

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Great looking FFOs! I like yellows, and Faber Sabre is my favorite today. Looks big.
    I think I have enough yellows but what I would like to have is a tall big pale yellow.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Yellow is my favorite daylily color and Faber Sabre sure is yellow..... I also like Safe Island. Hadn't seen that one before.......Maryl

• deangreen
    9 years ago

I like fiesta fling, that little ring in the middle! ha

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths