Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Favorite Cascading Spiders/UFs?

maximus7116
14 years ago

I was never a big fan of the spidery form, but have suddenly found myself drawn to the curly, cascading spiders and UFs.

Any recommendations for some that would do well this far north? Any nothing too skinny, please!

Chris

Comments (22)

• gonegardening
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, okay...(Hi Chris)...I'll jump on this!

First off, you gotta check out what Jamie Gossard has. He is doing some wonderful things! I have a few of his (I wish I had more!), but given he is in Ohio, I would think they would do great for you. Just ask him, he'll tell you.

Polar Bear Express, for example, is still blooming with more buds to go (I checked...it started on 6/24) and I am beginning to think it might be a bud builder as I was looking at it today. It's tall with sturdy scapes (light yellowish white with a green throat)...and the blooms put on a show each day...very entertaining!

That's why I like the ufos/spideries...they just add an extra something to the garden with their movement...plus, they are great season extenders. Mascara Snake just had its first bloom open today...a big one!

So, Jamie Gossard (check), Dan Bachman is also in Ohio, near Cincinnati....I have several of his and a few of his seedlings. They're great, too! Suzy Cream Cheese is blooming now (a late) and is a much improved bloom from last year...much bigger and with that movement I like (last year, as a new arrival, it needed a bit more time show what it can do...true of many daylilies)...

Of course, of course, Margo Reed's and Jim Murphy's stuff...theirs should be hardy for you, too. I kept taking pictures of Margo's Crystalline Entity at two daylily shows...I just had to get it....and want, want, want Dances With Giraffes...very hard to acquire (now that I put it on here, I'll probably never find it or will get in outrageous bidding wars on the LA...IF if should ever come up!)

And, some of Jim's like Ocean Spirit...his new Pale Behemoth (I hope I spelled that right)...Incessant...I could go on...

Remember, though...I have found tall daylilies need a bit of time to reach their height and strut their stuff...

Oh yes...Don Herr has some and they are bred in cold PA...I have his Great View Up Here and I was blown away...I was sure it must be a tet on that sturdy scape and huge bloom.

I also cannot forget Michael Miller...he has some great spideries...but ask him which of his might be the hardiest for you....I saw Small World Twister as a new plant at a garden at our regional...and it was very impressive!

One of my very very favories this year has been Lovely Pink Lady. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the hybridizer (Harris), but I saw it growing in PA...a couple years ago and sought it out. It has not disappointed! Two scapes that just had their last blooms yesterday (starting on 6/23)...and today, the first blooms on its two rebloom scapes started...wow! I have tried to use its pollen all around!

Shoo-Fly Pie (another Bachman) started blooming on 6/29 and pumps out multiple blooms every day (still going strong).

Well, this is just a beginning...there are many people working on terrific ones...I think the one that really started me liking them was Velvet Ribbons (Stamile) and still remains a favorite. Such a great daylily! I think it was the only daylily I moved this spring that didn't show some signs of resenting the move...performed like a champ.

Oh yes (slapping forehead!), North Wind Dancer! That one would no doubt be hardy for you since it is out of MN. Beautiful, beautiful daylily...lovely cascades...you gotta have that one!

Okay, sorry, I gotta run...I could go on and on...I'll look for some pics later and try to remember to post a link or whatever....

Yea! I'm glad you're considering them...

• katlynn719
    14 years ago

Hey Chris, Have you tried SPIDER MIRACLE? It's a oldie...dormant and should do well for you. I love the way it looks....but the blooms are so large, the scapes do tend to lean. Mine is growing in a very bad spot, in a lot of shade, under an oak tree, in front of an azalea bush, and beside a hibiscus bush. The reason I haven't moved it is because I want a daylily to grow in that exact spot and I doubt any other daylily would put up with these poor conditions. I think SPIDER MIRACLE is doing more than it's fair share to keep me happy.
    {{gwi:839025}}
    Kathy

• floota
    14 years ago

Chris,
    I'm getting ready to post some pics of some late bloomers here in VA. Many of them are cascades and twisted cascades, also my favorite form of the UFs. Many of those gonegardening mentions will be pictured. Be sure to check them out ! One thing for sure, if you add spiders and UFs to your garden, you can really extend your bloom season. There are so many EE-E's as well as L-VL bloomers in the spider -UF categories.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the input. Katie, it looks like you could write a book on this subject! You'll have to let me know what's impressed you in your garden so far.

I think I'll spend some time this winter poring over photos and descriptions and see what might work its way into the garden next spring.

• phaltyme21
    14 years ago

I'm not sure but, BRER RABBIT'S BABY might fit in for you.
    It was a bit slow to get established for me so I moved it to a damper, shadier place and WOW. It is a very dark red
    and this year has been very nice.

I live in southeastern Michigan.

Kay/phal

• Nancy Barginear
    14 years ago

FRILLY BLISS was an absolutely exquisite, angelic pink spider that bloomed here for the first time this year. I was very impressed with it.

Nancy

• shive
    14 years ago

My two favorite cascades are EMMAUS and LONE STAR WAGON WHEEL, but they are both evergreen and I don't know how hardy they are.

Do you have NORTH WIND DANCER? It's a great dormant cascade, and it's late.

ROMAN RULER has been a good cascade for me. It had immediate rebloom this year. A semievergreen, it has some dormant parents in its background.

JELLYFISH JEALOUSY, a dormant, sometimes is a cascade and other times a crispate here. It's always lovely though.

ORCHID CORSAGE is a great old cascade, if you don't already have it. It's wonderful in every way.

Debra

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Now we're talking about my favorite daylily form, these are last years pics as I haven't had a chence to upload any of this years pics yet.

Highland Pinched Fingers
    {{gwi:839030}}

Jan's Twister
    {{gwi:839031}}

Karen's Curls
    {{gwi:839032}}

Medicine Feather
    {{gwi:839034}}

Ostrich Plume
    {{gwi:839035}}

Platypus Pam
    {{gwi:839037}}

For ALgernon
    {{gwi:839039}}

Bark At Me
    {{gwi:839041}}

And I could go on and on ...

• shive
    14 years ago

Pam - Do go on and on. I'd love to see some more of yours.

Debra

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Debra, you twisted my arm ...

Dark Monkey
    {{gwi:839043}}

Gadsden Greensleeves
    {{gwi:839045}}

Helter Skelter
    {{gwi:839047}}

Jersey Spider
    {{gwi:663961}}

Mighty Highty Tighty
    {{gwi:839050}}

Quilt Patch
    {{gwi:839052}}

Primal Scream
    {{gwi:839054}}

Scrambled Legs
    {{gwi:839056}}

A small one, Tennessee Tan
    {{gwi:839058}}

Suzy Cream Cheese
    {{gwi:839060}}

When I go through the hundreds of photos I've taken this year, I'll post some of the new ones from rhis season.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for posting the photos and all your suggestions.

Would you believe what sent me on this new quest is the fact that one of the only spider-types in my garden was the first to bloom, and is still going strong? CANARY WINGS, although not the cascading type to which I'm really drawn, has really stood out this year. Plus I need a little more variety in the garden . . .

• Waitforspring
    14 years ago

Chris, that's exactly how I feel so I've just recently started adding some to my collection. This one is too new to know how it will perform, but so far I love it and it's a dormant.
    Val
    {{gwi:839062}}

• running_free
    14 years ago

Most of my favorites are in other people's gardens (like Pam's!) I have to agree that 'Spider Miracle' is a good choice, beautiful blooms for a low price.(these spiders can get really costly)

Pam, loved the pics in particular the shot of 'Bark at Me' with the Crocosmia as I added some to my primary daylily bed this year. Nice new addition to my reds and yellows! OT but do you dig your corms for winter? I'm in southern Ohio and for the cost I'm considering leaving mine in the ground but then again I'll be digging glads etc.

Loving 'Dark Monkey', a clump shot would be fantastic if you find one.

Wes

• shive
    14 years ago

My favorite cascading tet unusual forms are TURN TURN TURN and DIZZY MISS LIZZIE.

TURN TURN TURN
    {{gwi:662190}}

DIZZY MISS LIZZY

Not registered as a cascade, but one that certainly cascades in my garden is the Corchet dip:

PALE MOON WINDMILL

Debra

• pamghatten
    14 years ago

Oh ... I'll have to add Turn Turn Turn to my want list, added Dizzy Miss Lizzy this year.

Wes ... I don't dig the corms in the winter and until this past winter I had no issues. This past winter was very harsh and I lost a lot of corms.

No clump shot yet of Dark Monkey, it's too new so it's only a couple of fans.

No a cascade, but one of my seedlings I might register this year:
    {{gwi:839070}}

• gonegardening
    14 years ago

Well, Chris, I see you are well supplied with photos! I thought of a few more...Webster's Pink Wonder...a couple of Ned Roberts', Skinwalker and Desert Icicle...great daylilies.

Enjoyed the pictures! Needless to say, there are many choices for you out there!

• running_free
    14 years ago

Pam, thanks for the OT reply! Think I'll let these go Darwin and perhaps try some new varieties next year. FWIW the foliage blends very nicely with my daylily/iris theme (the blooms are nice too!).

Wes

• kimkats
    14 years ago

Here are afew of my favs.

{{gwi:670767}}

{{gwi:670769}}

Kim

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm bumping this forward a few years to see if anyone has any more recent recommendations. I'm still on the hunt.

Chris

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Chris: Have you gotten these? I'm still looking to see what UF/Spiders I have.

MAGIC OF OZ?

RAMBUNCTIOUS ROSIE

Julia

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, Julia, I still don't have many. I guess I've concentrated more on reducing the size of my gardens. I've got a few coming this year and would like a few more. Magic of Oz looks nice!

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

MOO did not need to be propped up when it bloomed. Good dormant. I do have mine in full sun if that makes a difference as to where you were thinking to plant in your garden. I got it from Partridge Hill Gardens/Ellen Laprise.
    I went to check to see when I planted it but I forgot to log it into PlantStep. Now I'll have to go hunt down the paperwork and get the data updated.

This post was edited by juliany on Fri, Apr 4, 14 at 14:47

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living