Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remy_gw

Cottage Gardens Daylilies Trip

remy_gw
14 years ago

Hi All,

I made a trip again to Cottage Gardens Daylilies with a few friends yesterday. The weather started off really bad in the morning. It was pouring rain, but by the time we got there, it had slowed down, and then it rained lightly on and off while we were there. By the time we left the sun finally came, lol.

Brent, the owner, remembered us from last year. He still has not figured out which daylily bloomed.(If anyone remembers the post.) I think this year he will.

Here's a pic.

Anyway, we got to talk and he told me someone actually drove from Ohio because of my pics! I told him about my business and he asked for a card and we finished talking.

Here a pic of Brent.

He comes back a bit later and tells me what a great site I have. He went inside and looked it up, lol. We ended up talking a little more. This coming weekend is the big AHS trip and the buses will be coming. I think those coming will really love it. There were a ton of buds on everything and it should be the height of bloom for many varieties.

Here's one of his seedlings I bought named Debbie 4. Debbie is his wife.Oh, I told him Remy would be a good name for a variety, lol.

Here's a new intro of his.

I bought Watchyl Lavender Blue.

I also bought a few Munsons. I bought Sovereign Queen.

I also bought this NOID Munson. The whole clump looked so good.

There are a lot of photos on my photobucket album. The first pages 1-5 are of the main field. The next page is of the seedling area. Then the rest are of the newer cultivar and house garden area. I tried to take closeup and clumps and get names of most of them. It was a bit difficult at times when it started to rain to get good pics, but I hope you enjoy them.

Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Gardens Daylilies 09

Comments (10)

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Very nice! I love that first bloom. Thanks for posting.
    kay

• katlynn719
    14 years ago

Your first pic looks like MEXICAN MAGIC (Maryott) to me. I'm glad you had a fun trip!
    Kathy

• wren_garden
    14 years ago

Remy, Your photos are great. Some made be stop and say Hey! I don't think I saw that one,(the magic of your photography) I would have bought that one. lol. Oh well there is always next time. It was a lot of fun. Got all the babies potted up this morning. I did what you suggested and divided them into 2 fans each per pot, So I have one for me and one for Harpreet.Now I have my first pot getto lol. Thanks Elizabeth

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

OK Remy, great pics, yea, I was the person from Ohio who made the trip. It was great fun and quite the adventure. That DL is Mexican Magic for sure. Did Brent also tell you that the 'overly excited' people from Ohio left a big clump of seedlings behind.?? : (( Been kicking myself, cause can't exactly drive back to get it. So tommorrow I think I'll drive back to Daylilies by the Pond, it's a tad bit closer!!! Gonna do a head count or should I say a "hem count" from now on before I drive off.

Cindy

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I liked the pictures of the fields. Sort of made me feel like I could wander forever. Looks like you had a great time in spite of not the best of weather. Got some great daylilies too I see.

• njmomma
    14 years ago

Wow! Wished I lived close enough to visit too! Thanks for the pics -you picked out some really good ones!

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kay,
    I loved that bloom too.

Kathy,
    Seems you're correct : )

Elizabeth,
    Lol, about the pot ghetto. I'm already looking forward to us going next year. I know Hilde is. She already emailed me about how we should plan for late July next year.

Cindy,
    Lol, no, he only picked on me! Like lying that a $5 lily cost $200. He probably felt bad about the stray bag. Driving away without everything sounds like something I would do. I'm so glad you enjoyed your trip! : )
    Oh and I did something dumb. I found my NOID daylily from a post I made about a week ago. I had purchase what was suppose to be Storm of the Century in a plant coop. So going through the field, there it is. I forgot to take a pic of the tag!! Here's a pic.

Rita,
    It is not difficult to spend all day there even in less than ideal weather.

NJMomma,
    I'm glad you enjoyed them.
    Remy

• Julia WV (6b)
    14 years ago

I've bought several plants from Brent this year and am not disappointed. Wonderful person to meet in person and he is a member of the FieLDS (Finger Lakes Daylily Club) that I belong to.
    I plan to visit soon but not this week. With the AHS REGION 4 happening this coming weekend, it will be so crowded with the buses and I do hope they have wonderful weather. Our weather here has been really unusual for this time of year with ALOT of rain and cooler than normal temps so far.
    I have about 4 more daylily farms I must see this year including CG. Hope I can get to all of them ;-).
    Glad you found some bargains.

Julia

• remy_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Julia,
    I can't believe you haven't been there yet! (I of course still need to make it to the other area daylily gardens too like Pam's and the one in Penn Yan.) I know you will enjoy it when you do go. Brent talked about the weather. He was keeping a close eye on the upcoming week and was hoping for a good Sat.,and I think it will be. Last time they had the touring, 10 years ago, he was optional so it isn't the same as this time.
    Remy

• gottagarden
    14 years ago

Hey I'm glad you had a great time! Sorry I couldn't make it. On the Avon tour we got poured on as well, but it was still a great tour.

Some of DLs from Brent from previous years are blooming now and are wonderful. he has a great selection and good quality.