Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliany_gw

Japanese Beetles - Are you seeing many?

Julia WV (6b)
10 years ago

This year I've only seen a couple unlike last year. I was wondering if all the rain we've been having is delaying the appearance of them or is it something else.

Are you seeing a lot this year?

Julia

Comments (8)

• blue23rose
    10 years ago

I have had less Japanese beetles this year than any other year in the past 10. What a wonderful relief! I don't know why though. I thought it was because my husband was so diligent about grub control, even though I know the beetles can come from miles and miles around.

I hope they have really diminished and not just been delayed!

Vickie

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Unfortunately they arrived on schedule here and are abundant. So far not as many as in the past, but still in numbers enough to destroy all my rose blossoms. I was hoping the grubs would have drowned with all this rain but I think it's just that they don't seem to come out as much when it's raining. Yesterday we had one actual SUNNY day and the JB's were out in full force. I get so discouraged.

Celeste

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

They came here as usual (earlier than for you) and I may have had a few less, but they still decimated the roses and other foliage.

kay

• timhensley
    10 years ago

So far not as many as the last couple of years. Last fall I composted all of my cannas as they were a JB magnet. I've also resorted to using a grub control. This last week I also started pulling up all the Asiatic Lillies because of the little red bugs that have been decimating them. A couple of nurseries in the area have stopped selling the because of the invasion. I hate using poison so I've decided to just get rid of plants that attract the blasted things.

Tim

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Not quite as many as some years, last year was light with the beetles too. I started out with a lot then they disappeared. I think maybe one of the neighbors must put out beetle traps. Good for them! That or the moles are taking down their numbers. I've tried a trap & got rid of a few moles, but their trails are all over. I read somewhere that there will only be like 2 or 3 moles in an acre, but that surely can't be so. I caught that many last fall & there are more trails now than there were. Although I hate the beetles more thaN moles, so...

• User
    10 years ago

My Japanese beatles are all over the place. They seem worse than in the past. Every time I see one on one of my daylilies, I knock it off and there is a hole there! Little buggers....

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I am finding more than usual of those lighter colored Asian Beetles that eat the same things as the Japanese Beetles do.

• taurustendency
    10 years ago

they are terrible here in central missouri. our house and our neighbors are having a hard time with them.