Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

A Deranged Duckling, a Surfin Dude and some Skullduggery

shive
10 years ago

My first photo is of one I thought I had lost since it hadn't bloomed since acquiring it two years ago. It turns out it had just snuggled up with its pot mate, Duck's Dark Side, and has been overshadowed by that plants tall fans.

DERANGED DUCKLING is the name hybridizer Don Eller's son picked for a daylily to honor him. When Eller told the story behind the name a few years ago at the Midwinter Symposium, everyone in the audience "quacked" up. Eller's nickname is Duck, and most of his daylilies have duck in the title.

SPANISH GLOW - I took this photo last night after a hot, very muggy day. This oldie looks best in the evening when the peach daylilies take on some pink highlights.

SURFIN DUDE is a late bloomer by Jim Murphy.

INIMITABLE

BAJA CALIFORNIA

WIZARD'S WISH ffo

TIPPED IN ROUGE

SKULLDUGGERY

Seedling Bali Watercolor X Electric Mist

ASTERISK - last one!

Debra

Comments (16)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Baja California looks good, and Skullduggery does too. Your seedling is very nice. I always like clump shots. I think I like Deranged Duckling.
    kay

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

SURFIN DUDE is a nice one, never seen it before. I do like INIMITABLE, I'm looking for a nice white to add to my garden. I've had Joan Senior for 7 years but she has never done well for me so this year if she doesn't perform well, I'll get rid of her. Your Bali Watercolor seedling looks great! Love the huge green throat. Marg

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marg and Kay - Thanks for the comments on the UF seedling. Very few seedlings turn out the way you hoped they would, but that one combines the parents just the way I hoped. After very cool nights, it displays an applique pattern. Unfortunately it still doesn't have the bud count I want (only 11-12 buds per scape now), but I'm gong to move a couple of fans to my new evaluation bed in full sun and hope for better branching and bud count next season.

Debra

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Debra, I really like the seedling - beautiful colors. Moving some of it to an optimum environment should help it to improve in bud count. Is it a fast increaser?

ASTERISK is really an interesting one I haven't seen before.

Nancy

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Your photo of Spanish Glow does indeed glow. I like your goals in the Electric Mist seedling.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy, the Electric Mist seedling has moderate increase where it now grows in the shade. It's a three year old seedling that went up to five fans last year. However, like most of my seedlings, it did not increase much after our severe drought and scalding temperatures last year. Now it's six fans. Asterisk is an old dip spatulate by Lambert. It has lots of neat descendants.

Mantis - I'm glad you liked Spanish Glow, and thanks for your comments about the seedling.

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I've always considered getting Asterisk. great photo! all

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dean - Asterisk is such a unique looking spider. I have gotten some seeds from it in the past.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

They are all beautiful! I am not much of a spidery or UF type, but they all have something interesting that I like. Of course love bicolor Wizard's Wish, so pretty. And my very favorite are Inimitable and Deranged Duckling :) What a gorgeous surprise. I like how you put two ducks in one pot.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, some beauties again. I thought picture number one
    DERANGED DUCKLING was going to be my very favorite bloom, but that was before I got to TIPPED IN ROUGE . That is my favorite one, but, I also like SPANISH GLOW a lot, too. and INIMITABLE is gorgeous. and also WIZARD'S WISH is a beauty.

jean

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Spanish Glow looks beautiful, and I love your seedling. Anything with a green throat is fine with me. Surfin Dude also looks good.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms as usual. SPANISH GLOW and BAJA CALIFORNIA are my favorites.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat - Wizard's Wish is wonderful bicolor. And it blooms until very late here.

Jean - I'm glad you liked Tipped In Rouge. It has been a joy this season. It's another one that didn't bloom for two years and I forgot I had.

Chris - The seedling got the big green throat, and the green on the sepals, from Electric Mist.

Rita - I was pleased to see Baja California showing its hot and spicy side the last could of days.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

BAJA CALIFORNIA is stunning Debra. WIZARDS WISH is a beautiful bicolor. Your first seedling is beautiful in color and form.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Julia! I've noticed Baja California's blooms have been melted by evening two days in a row. I guess I need to put it where it gets some afternoon shade.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I agree with Nat. I'm not much on UFs, but that green throat on your seedling takes this daylily into a whole new realm. ....I just put Duck's Dark Side down on my long list, and now you show me Deranged Duckling, also very pretty. When the prices come down I may need to add an Eller to my little "flock".......Maryl

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!