Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

a few of my daylilies

Nancy
10 years ago

I haven't posted a lot this year what with the surgery, & then lost my cat a couple of weeks ago. He always followed me in the garden & was such a companionable cat, the best natured cat I've ever had. He developed an inoperable tumor in his mouth & we were watching him starve to death. So hard watching him want to eat, but just couldn't so we had to put him down. It all happened within a week. I originally stopped at a busy intersection to grab him by the tail, he was right in the middle of the road.

Anyway, a few photos
Wedding Gown has been blooming & already putting out rebloom scapes. It apparently is a late season bloomer & really just started. Everything is blooming so much later than normal, of course, the last 2 years everything was really early so maybe I just can't remember normal.

Wild Child is new to my garden, got it last fall & it is really growing well.

I've always thought Wildest Dream the ugliest daylily possible. Like some other daylilies here this year, it has really bloomed well. Still not a beautiful daylily but amazing compared to its norm.
{{gwi:704528}}

Storm over Toledo can be splotchy, but every bloom has been nice this year

Ruby Lipstick, the photo looks a bit faded compared to the real thing, I guess the lighting

Comments (17)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Good grief, Nancy, what a season for you. I am so sorry about your cat. What a sweet face it had. It is very hard to lose an animal we love.

I like Storm Over Toledo in this group. Pretty. I hope things improve .
    kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Nancy, so sorry about Rhodie, I remember many pictures of your cat from years past. So sad.

The daylilies look very good especially my favorite of this batch which is Ruby Lipstick.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry about your kitty. He has the sweetest expression in your photo.

Wedding Gown looks gorgeous. I've never tried to grow that one

• shive
    10 years ago

It sounds like you have had a rough few weeks. I'm so sorry about your sweet cat. The garden must not seem the same without him. Wedding Gown and Storm Over Toledo are marvelous. The petals of Ruby Lipstick look good. It's just the eye that looks faded. I've had that trouble with some of my pictures this week. They look so bright and wonderful in person, and then in the pictures they look faded and dull. It must be the light.

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

sorry bout the cat, bet he was a tough one! I like the wild child the best. love when colors fade into each other like that. :)

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Nancy, so sorry about your cat. He looks so sweet and I remember you posting some pictures of him before. It's so hard to lose our pets, they bring something special to our lives. Your daylilies are very pretty, I guess Ruby Lipstick is the favorite today. Avedon

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

The raised ribs on Wedding Gown are fantastic!

What was your cat's name? It is so difficult to deal with final illnesses in the family.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Nancy. First off,I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. he is so pretty in the photo. what was his name? I love cats,and I am still missing my Miss BLackie, even if it has been a year since shes gone.. I just love your WEDDING GOWN. ITS SO PRETTY. and STORN OVER TOLEDO is a beauty, too.

jean

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Nancy, I'm very sorry for your loss. Your garden buddy was certainly very lucky you saved him and gave him a good life. Of the daylilies, Wedding Gown and Storm Over Toledo are my picks. Laura

• nat4b
    10 years ago

So very sorry about your kitty. I remember his photos.. Sigh, it is so sad.

Daylilies: Wedding Gown looks great, and so does Storm Over Toledo, and hope it'll continue that way. These two are my favorite. I forgot if Wildest Dream got its title ;) for colors or for form? It looks good.
    Oh, and just curious, what's the operation system on your computer (am trying to figure something out)

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear that you had to put your garden companion down. I know how difficult it is to make the decision but just remember all the great days you did have with him and now he is at peace. You did the right thing.

Now to a happier note, WEDDING GOWN is so beautiful. Wow, just stunning.

Julia

• Nancy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone for your sympathy. I think lots of us here have pets, seems to go with gardeners. The last time I lost a pet was when I had a replacement in the other hip about 3 years ago, lost a cat not long after that surgery. Good thing for my remaining cat that I don't have another hip. She's almost 19 though, & then our dog has a tumor in her throat the vet is afraid to do anything about. She's a golden retriever & going on 12, doesn't seem to be bothering her. Dreading losing them, but I was very attached to Roady.
    Roady's official name-which I probably shouldn't tell you-was Roadkill-obviously because he almost was. He was 13, so not a young cat, I especially hated seeing him go in so much pain, and his last day was at the vets. I would have liked him to go more peacefully.
    Anyway, Kay, I hope Storm over Toledo continues as well. It has improved every year. It really isn't in a very good place, it is getting swallowed up by creeping phlox, but I hate to move it when it is doing well.
    Ruby Lipstick is sending out rebloom scapes Rita.
    Maximus, Wedding Gown blooms really well, it isn't multiplying well, but it has lots of buds & reblooms each year. I think this is the 3rd year I've had it, the blooms always open nicely & look good, I just wish it would multiply. I think it started as a big single fan, I now have 3 nice fans.
    Debra, I think part of it is the lighting, but part of it is my camera. I got a new one last year & I just don't think it takes as nice a picture as my old camera, although it should. My old one was a Kodak, this is a Nikon that got good ratings.
    Deangreen, I mentioned that Wild Child is new, but it is starting out quite well & I think it will look really nice next year. The first couple of blooms were splotchy but the rest have improved with each bloom.
    Thank you Mantis. And Wedding Gown does have such a nice form, doesn't it. I like the ribs too.
    Jean, I know you still miss Miss Blackie, I will miss Roady helping me in the garden. He had his quirks, & I will miss those too.
    Nat4b, my operating system is WindowsXP, at least I think that is what you are asking? I am NOT computer literate, could be but I'm lazy & depend on my sons to keep the old computer going :) I think it is on its last legs though, odd things happening to it.
    Thanks Julia, I do try to remember that he generally had a good life :)

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Nancy, my heart goes out to you for the loss of Roady. I just lost Lily a week ago and I know how much it hurts to have to make that decision to put them down. Lily was old too (14) and had kidney failure and was suffering but I still feel such grief and guilt over having her put to sleep. She loved life so much and I feel gutted that I took it from her. Like your Roady, she was my garden companion and the yard seems so quiet and sad now, even though everything is in bloom. And of course since her name was 'Lily', all the lilies blooming now just remind me of her. I'm so, so sorry about your sweet darling. I love ginger cats and he had such a sweet face, you can tell he was a dear.

Wedding Gown is my favorite of these. So very pretty and perfect!

Celeste

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Yes, Nancy, that's what I was asking. Sorry to post about this on your thread, but my computer is exactly the same, WinXP and old and so on. So I noticed that when I read my threads the text is not wrapped and goes way to the right, so I can't read it. Other people threads seem to be ok. And then I opened yours and the text goes to the right.. Probably totally wrong conclusion but anyway..
    So now I am on another computer and finally could read what you wrote about Roady. Oh, what poor thing. Our cat we had to put down also couldn't eat, actually she couldn't keep it. Doctors didn't tell what the reason was but it was understandable that poor animal was suffering. I was actually very mad at myself for not doing it earlier. I still cry every time I think about it.

• Nancy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat4b, I haven't had any problems reading my posts or anything, they sometimes go to the far right when I'm writing them, but when I read them they are wrapped. It does sound as though there is some connection though.
    Celeste & Nat, you have it exactly right, I feel so guilty taking his life away. Even though he was starving, hadn't eaten at all in 3 days, he wasn't at death's door & had some energy. I just couldn't bear to watch him suffer and get to that point. The vet said we could send a biopsy off & see if it was cancer, but it was inoperable, so I couldn't see what difference it would make. He was in so much pain.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Beautiful daylilies and R.I.P Roady. Like Celeste and everyone else on the forum I understand what you are going through with the loss of a great cat I myself lost three in less than a year, in fact one of mine was also lost to a mouth cancer. Making the decision even though we know it's the right one is never easy.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Geez, Ruby Lipstick never reblooms here!