Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Recommendation for a daylily with tall scopes?

I have Hyperion and that gets pretty tall, but it's in front of a golden foliage shrub and is just disappearing. Nepeta is growing in front of Hyperion so it needs to be tall. Is there something that is about 4ft tall and colorful?

Comments (10)

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

The only ones I'm aware of that grow to 48" are Hansons: Sky Captain, Ohio Sky, High Plains Drifter, Up on the Roof and perhaps some others. Four feet is very tall for a daylily. You can check out Curt Hanson's website at Crintonic Gardens.

I'm guessing there are others from hybridizers with whom I'm not as familiar.

Chris

• hubcap93
    9 years ago

James Gossard also has some very tall ones too

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Shooter's Island Time Is 67", and a lovely pink bloom:

...and I'm sure there are others.

kay

• lynxe
    9 years ago

If you go to the AHS database and click on Advanced Search (near the upper right), you'll be able to search for dayliies with the height characteristic you want. I entered for scape height between 48" and 50", and the result was 20 pages of daylilies. Between 47" and 50" and you have 49 pages of possibilities. You can choose other height combos, of course, depending on what you're looking for. Happy shopping. :)

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all those ideas, everyone, I'll check those out. Love that 'Shooter's Island', Kay!

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Charles Trommer is a very tall yellow that put on a show for me this year as did Dark Monkey. Google their images. I highly recommend them. Cheap and dependable.

• Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
    9 years ago

If these are at the back of the border facing sun. I have a couple that are close and bright enough that they easily show up. If you had room for two you could even get continuous bloom.
    Early Shirley(Davisson)- 45 inch scape and easily seen from a distance. Very long blooming purple on a very nice plant with dependable rebloom.
    Hakuna(Schaben)- One seriously beautiful purple. Lots of buds. Starts up as Early Shirley is finishing up. Scape 50" but some are taller some shorter. Will show well from a distance.
    One More Bud(Murphy)- Spidery but strong color. 50" scape Plants new for me last year. I'm liking it.
    Most blooms on these plants will be visible even with a slightly smaller plant in front. Can't take photo right now sun to bright. Will later if you wish.

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

As someone already mentioned, Jamie Gossard's daylilies are the tallest ones in my daylily beds. Blackberry Dragon (picture below) is usually between 41 and 43 inches. Heavenly Tiger Tails is another one I grow and it's usually 41+ inches, Heavenly Pink Twister is 40".

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Njmomma - Thanks, I have Hyperion which is a yellow in front of a yellow foliaged shrub, thatâÂÂs why I need something other than yellow, but the âÂÂDark Monkeyâ looks good - Thanks!

Thanks Patty, thatâÂÂs a few more choices. Nice and tall too. IâÂÂm getting photos on Google images.

Opnjmprs, thanksâ¦.Blackberry Dragon is nice and dark. The other two are a little on the pale side for this application but pretty blossoms.

I was just wondering -- will these tall scopes stand up without support?

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

Most of my Daylilies are generally shorter that what they are officially labeled to be. However, I have a few that are usually quite tall, even though they are still shorter that the claim. The three in the picture are Carolicollisial [40], Sears Tower [57]. Sears Tower is supposed to be 6 ft. Also Rob Cobb is generally 40" I have others that are supposed to be 40 or so but never are, such as Do the Twist and Red Skeletons.
    Brad