Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ngraham_gw

Thought I would share a few of my seedlings

Nancy
10 years ago

I don't keep good track of parentage, they are just for my garden, but thought I would share some photos of some of what I think are my better seedlings

This one looks more yellow than it really is, it is very white with a thin yellow ruffle

this one reminds me of Woman at the well, but I didn't have that one when I got seed for this one

This one is on its 3rd year bloom. It has opened nicely this year, not sticking up with the heavily ruffled edges. I don't know that I like the excess ruffling, but I like the color & it has good bud counts & is reblooming now

Sibling to the above one, but more pastel yellow & the ruffle is more "organized", & bud count has really improved this year

Nothing special really about this one, but the flower is HUGE, I haven't measured but the size of my hand. It is very tall & has decent bud count for the size of flower I think, average 18 .

Comments (15)

• shive
    10 years ago

Wow! You have a lot of pretty ones!
    First one - I like the color, shape, triangular halo and the darker veining.
    2nd one - Nice fluffy near white!
    3rd one - Not my style. I don't like Woman at the Well either.
    4th - Very nice blue lavender eye on that one! It is my style!
    5 and 6 both have it going on in the looks department. I prefer 6 with its lighter color and lovely ruffling. Do you know the parents on those?
    #8 - I like the subtle shades of lavender. Nice eye and edge. I'd be using that one to breed for blue eyes.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Some very pretty seedlings you have, Nancy.

I like the delicacy of the one you said had "nothing special about" it. I agree that one does resemble Woman at the Well. I like the second one very well.
    kay

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I love the first 2 seedlings. The second one though is my favorite. Marg

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

You have a lot of off white seedlings. And that one does remind me of Woman At The Well also and it is my favorite.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Very pretty seedlings. Your whites are especially nice.

Julia

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I like the purple one and the lavender one the best! nice work. :)

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I love all the whites and creams, especially the one with the wild ruffles. I wasn't a fan of the extreme ruffling when it first started showing up, but on that color daylily I think it's beautiful.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Love the first seedling, but you have a lot of good ones. Avedon

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I like numbers 1 and 6 (really a lovely color and fully open). Number 1 I would hope is a large bloom.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Very pretty! I love the first one, the second one and the ruffly sibs.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I wont try to pick a favorite out of these as I like them all, the near whites are all gorgeous blooms,and the first one is gorgeous, too,and I really like the woman at the well impostrer:) they are all very pretty ones/

jean

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I like #2, both light yellow siblings and the last the most!

Oh, thank you Debra for saying you don't like Woman at the Well. I thought I was the only one and felt kinda bad :)

• Nancy
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone, you are very kind, I've seen the lovely seedlings people are growing so you are being generous. But I thank you, and appreciate hearing the nice things about my babies :)

Debra, #5 & 6 were some seeds someone gave me, a cross of Wonder of it All & a spacecoast, I think Spacecoast Cotton Candy. I like the color on #5 better, I call the edges a tangerine color, not quite orange & not quite yellow, but I like the form better on the lighter one. #5 often has extra little "tufts" of ruffles. I'm surprised that it has been opening pretty well this year.
    Kay, the coloring of that one is delicate, but nothing delicate about the plant :) I need to learn how to measure blooms. The largest blooms were early ones & down to the last few that are smaller & still the size of my hand.And my hand isn't small! It really stands out.
    The 2nd one looks so much better in person. It should have bloomed last year but didn't, probably because I have had to start planting seedlings in a bit of shade. It has quite a decent bud count & had 4 blooms open one day. Seems to be multiplying very well. Of course, there are several out there similar to this. And the other 2 light colored ones.
    I was really surprised when the 4th one bloomed this year. It bloomed last year but looked nothing like this, I hope it maintains this look & not due to the cooler, wetter weather we've had this year.
    The next to the last photo is from Palace Garden Beauty, & looks pretty similar, but different when you compare them side by side, a little more pastel. I've been trying some blue eyed crosses, or at least what I have that is close to blue eyes. We'll see what happens.
    I'm fond of the last one too, just a little different from anything in my garden. Most of my seedlings have bloomed now, I'm feeling a little sad that I won't get to see any more. Now I have to prepare a place to put out my seeds next year.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

You sure have some pretty seedlings I really like the first one, what a great color.
    Linda

• deluxemoonpie
    10 years ago

I like the first one! If I saw that and had the chance I'd buy it. I jumped out immediately.