Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silverkelt

Let the Seedlings roll...

silverkelt
10 years ago

First off.. Im posting some 5 generation daylily seedlings now.. Im sorry but Im not going to type in multiple generational crosses anymore (if you are really that interested in the actual parentage I do keep track in the master files for my selected daylily seedlings. Im also not showing a lot of old repeats at this point, just my advances or noteworthy ones.

5th generational seedling below, its a planned effort combining some solid pinks with heavy edges that opened well, its big, bright rose pink with crusting and edging, in fact on some days you will see some odd teeth, it has a nice lighter pink watermarked eye. Its my most advanced daylily yet.

Its on scapes of 35 inches , 6.5 or larger, SEV, but apparently fairly hardy with medium vigor. It would probably be gangbusters farther south.

Its cons? darn it doesn't open till 9-10 am or so, no EMO here.

All I can say about the next too is WOWZERS in the coming years as they increase , they will set each other off tremendously, they are both Large UF or LARGE forms (as they kind of tinkered with the large class and they yellow might fit in there better then in a true UF)

This mighty yellow was a little damaged by a massive rain shower, but its large with some hitting 9-10 inches, golden yellow, shines in the sun, TALL with scapes hitting 4.5 feet. It frankly was my favorite of the year and with a bud count in the 20 range on such a large flower scaped, I cant wait to see more.

Right next to it.. I will admit this is the first EVER daylily that I planned in my head and IT was 100% of what I thought it would be from its parents, TALL, LARGE, Quilted bright pink with yellow highlighted eye, with tons of movement. Most of the time I get lucky, this seedling was exactly as I planned and as such is both whimsical and fun to my eye.

A cross section of my large purples (patterns, stripes and Larges)

Some close ups, these all have daylily parents of purple cheetah, jerry hyatt and the like in their backgrounds, sometimes mixed with ufs such as bali watercolor and such.

(MY very first pattern.. unimpressive you may say.. but hey don't knock my peg down the wall too far LOL)

Another of my 5th generations.. this was a attempt to get some blue mixed with pinks and edges.. well I see blue, I see pink.. WAIT where is my edge! LOL every cross had a edge but the kiddo doesn't. So is daylily life.

Just some lovelies that are being kept here..

(you know there is some carol todd in this one somewhere... )

this one I nicknamed in the garden Mini MM or cutie MM.. its close to miniature size , but sure does look like MM doesn't it..

My best polychrome, takes 1-2 to start up (heavy canoe effect early, but it always settles down to a explosion like this , its always a well used pod setter here)

this sculpted daylily doubles 25% of the time, sometimes more even, but once it doubles you lose the sculpting.. ha..

Just a pretty purple

Best purple eye with sometimes very subtle 3 way edging (purple, light and white, but its very delicate)

Wait WHY is he sharing such a ugly dayily??? Well, look at this pinching.. its 100% pincher here, from start to finish, but the colour is UGLY, it produces pollen though and sometimes you just have to clean up the colours in later generational work.

Its been a odd year here and ive lost some to deer, but flash thunderstorms are worse, Ive had some so bad they knocked off buds!

Any spelling or grammatical mistakes is 100% the fault of Internet explorer.. WHY don't I use chrome more ! LOL.
Silverkelt

Comments (10)

• marricgardens
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You have some wonderful seedings there! I love reading your posts. The purple seedling in picture #5 is awesome, I love the eye pattern (is that what you call it?). My favorite though is the Carol Todd seedling, the pale pink with the double edge is just what I like in a daylily. I also really like the one labeled 'just another pretty purple'. Thanks for posting. Marg

• dani_plus_2
    10 years ago

I love the purple that look like it's feathered in the eye...

• timhensley
    10 years ago

You have some really nice lilies there.

• dementieva
    10 years ago

Marvelous post. I really admire multi-generational work -- anyone can cross A x B popular daylilies and make something that looks good, but it takes patience, experience, and excellent record-keeping to make good multi-generational crosses. And that's where the really fresh and imaginative cultivars come from.

Thanks for sharing!

Nate

• shive
    10 years ago

Lots of very nice seedlings! The ruffled pink seedling has a lot going for it, even if it's not an EMO. I love the third seedling with the quilled sepals. It has loads of personality! The purple in photo #5 really grabs me. It looks very special.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

David, you have so many pretty ones. I especially like the one you dreamed up and received your wish. It has the neatest form.
    kay

• shae8
    10 years ago

Wonderful seedlings! I'd be glad to have any of these in my gardens. They make my seedlings look quite ordinary.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Lots of beautiful, and I imagine fulfilling, work here but my favorites are nos. 2 and 3. In my opinion, the huge yellow is necessary in any garden and is definitely a keeper assuming the scapes are stout enough to hold that enormous flower. No. 3 has great form and color.

• houstmag
    10 years ago

You have some great looking seedlings you're on the right track in your breeding. My favorites are your purples they are awesome.
    Linda

• deangreen
    10 years ago

NICE NICE big YELLOW! absolutely. and the 100% planned one looks exactly as described, movement indeed! I also really like the mini MM... love a dark center with a bit of white in the yellow on the petals as contract. wonderful.... well, those were my favorites. keep it up. :)