Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Monday in the Garden of Earthly Delights

shive
10 years ago

I said it yesterday, and I'll say it again, my daylilies hybridized by John Rice are the best performers in the garden this season. Here's more evidence.

WILLOW DEAN SMITH - Some of the scapes exceeded the registered height of 36 inches so I had to get out my step stool to photograph the clump.

But that's not the whole clump. Here are all nine blooms, and you can see the wonderful amount of buds still left. There were 19-24 buds per scape on this one.

ANNETTE'S MAGIC, being grown in a pot, has a respectable 12-15 buds per scape. I must get this Rice daylily in the ground soon, so it can take off too.

AUGUST GROOM trio

PURIFY MY HEART - I used to have a pretty phlox planted next to this one, but it died in last year's drought.

TIFFANY JEWELS

LINDA BECK

INCA PRINCE

The backyard on the downside of peak.

Me in the garden

Grumpy little Columbus

Debra

Comments (26)

• Edward_Kimball
    10 years ago

I keep wondering why Willow Dean Smith isn't in my garden.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Willow Dean Smith is always a favorite, hope it comes to live here some day. Your garden is lovely, and you are definitely looking good in that purple color with the hat that has the best decoration, a daylily. Columbus does look a little bit peeved, but maybe just concentrating on something really hard--our cat does that. Avedon

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edward - Willow Dean would be a great one to add. I highly recommend it.

Avedon - Thanks for your kind comments about my photo, and your willingness to defend Columbus' experession.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

dang it, computers make me so mad. had my reply all done and hit on submit and the thing donework, get a pop up saying the website is down and cant refreshthe page either, so start over in a shorter version. love WILLOW DEAN SMITH its a beauty. and I love the garden shot,and you are a very attractive lady, and so is your hat with the pretty deco. Love the kitty too, I sure miss my kitty in the yard.I would never see her when I first stepped out but would only make a few steps, till she would be walking along side of me. and run ahead and lay down in fron ot me for attention and a petting.which she got plenty of.

jean

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Well, you're the prettiest flower of all of them! Great hat and great cat.

I doubt I'll get to see Willow Dean Smith bloom this year. How long have you had yours? Purify My Heart is always a favorite, and Annette's Magic is a beauty. I might have to look into adding a few more Rice intros. I used to have more that weren't really thriving, so I sent them elsewhere. I think they're all SEVs, so they should have done fine here. I remember loving quite a few of them on their website.

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

Willow Dean Smith is gorgeous. I find myself wondering how it (a dormant cultivar) would do here in central Florida where dormant varieties can be iffy.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Such a magnificent clump of WDS! You certainly are a great promoter of Rice cultivars. I've added several since seeing your posts. Purify My Heart, however, has initially disappointed me, as the color on the first blooms is very light, even though it shows darker on the photos.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Debra, the blooms are beautiful but best of all is that lovely shot of yourself. Columbus looks good too and the backyard is still so pretty.

• sann777
    10 years ago

I love WDS and Purify My Heart and I love the shot of your yard. You and the Kitty are looking great too. Sarah

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean - I know you do miss Miss Blackie as your garden companion.

Chris - I've got my Willow Dean two falls ago from Thoroughbred when they were having a clump sale. I think I started with a four fan clump, and it's up to 14 or 15 fans now. When you say your earlier Rice intros didn't do well, what do you mean? Did they not multiply, or did they just have low bud count?

Faraway Farmer - I recommend you stay away from the dormants. While they might do well for a year or two, I hear they dwindle away to nothing. There are plenty of Southern intros that should keep you happy.

Mantis - My Purify Your Heart always looks just like the photo above. If yours is new, maybe it just needs to settle in a bit to have the right color. As far as performance, I remember mine didn't have good bud count and rebloom until the third year. This year it's ailing. Everything in that bed is because the Bermuda grass invaded so badly during the drought and I didn't water that bed as often.

Thanks Rita!

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

That's a great portrait of you! With daylilies all around and a daylily decoration :) Columbus is a pretty kitty, to me she looks like she is about to start falling asleep.
    Daylilies are ALL beautiful. Of course Willow Dean Smith is my favorite, love ENE look, it's late, tall and with lots of flowers. Definitely would love to grow it too.
    Annette's Magic is pretty and I love the edge. August has a pretty thin white edge too. Well, all today's ones are beautiful.
    And love the backyard shot. I like how you have beds with access to all daylilies. And convenient for taking pictures. I can't reach several of mine this year.

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

I tend not to buy dormants unless they're being grown and sold by a dealer in Florida. Which is why I research cultivars carefully before I purchase them.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Debra, most of the Rice intros I grew are not even sold by Thoroughbred anymore. I still have Jamie Dockery and Twilight Colors (received as a bonus). The other four just didn't bloom much and didn't increase. One (Meggie's Smile) I never saw bloom at all. Strange, eh?

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - That is strange about Meggie's Smile.

Debra

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Willow Dean Smith looks fantastic! Purify My Heart is also very pretty. Love the picture of you with that great hat decoration. Columbus looks like he's deep in thought.
    Val

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Love the picture of you. Tell me that is not your gardening outfit. Mine pales terribly in comparison. Love the daylily on the "bonnet". Columbus has an aloof expression.

Love Willow Dean smith. It isn't the only lovely bloom, but it is stunning in that clump! Your garden still looks very good and blooming well in spite of being post-peak.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay - That is one of the hats I wear to garden. I added the bloom to dress it up for the photo. What you don't see are the jeans that have pollen spill and soil on them. Or my purple gardening clogs that have been caked with mud and partially covered with grass clippings.

Debra

• booberry85
    10 years ago

Love your blooms and particularly like the shot of you enjoying your blooms! Linda Beck is one I oogle at Maryott's Daylilies.

Becky

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Becky - I do enjoy daylily season! Thanks for your comments!

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

deb, really like seeing all those circular beds and the barn- what a nice yard full of blooms! enjoy enjoy! :)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Dean! My yard always looks messy and weedy, so I hesitate to take landscape shots.

Debra

• blue23rose
    10 years ago

Debra, it was so nice to see a picture of you so I could put a face with your name. It is a very nice picture.

And what a treat to see your back yard. I like it a lot!

Willow Dean Smith is awesome looking!

Vickie

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I have to agree Willow Dean Smith is a knockout. Great photo of you and of course Columbus is looking wonderful to.
    Linda

• rose23_gw
    10 years ago

Debra, I agree with you about Rice's daylilies. Annette and John have beautiful daylilies that do really well for me. i've been collecting them for years and have most of their intros. They have some lovely ones that will be introduced next year. Their garden is at peak now.

fosy

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Nice photo of you, Debra, so good to put a face to a name. Makes me feel better that you weren't wearing your normal gardening clothes :) My gardening getup is pretty bad, especially by the end of the day. I love to be in the garden, & by the end of the day, the dirt & I really become one. UGH. Even when I just plan to go out to look, I come back in all grungy.
    Willow Dean is really a looker, especially in the clump. Does Linda Beck ever get splotchy? Really a pretty daylily. Columbus really is looking good, although maybe a bit impatient? Looks like he is waiting for lunch, or maybe just some attention.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Linda - Thanks!

Fosy - I would love to visit both Thoroughbred and Daylily World. I may do it next week.

Nancy - Linda Beck is sometimes splotchy, but much less than most purples I grow.

Debra