Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Friday's Late Bloomers and First and Last Flowers

shive
10 years ago

Yesterday was the first day that blooms seemed sparse. Most of my 700 daylilies are bloomed out now. The lates are keeping it colorful though.

WAVES BECOME WINGS - This is an excellent late blooming Hanson. I've sung its praises for years, but I never see anyone else posting photos of it.

REGAL FINALE - An old late, but a great late! Ignore the name on the photo. I had finally discovered the labeling feature on my Photo Elements feature and had senior moment on the name.

AUTUMN JEWELS - A lot of folks say this one doesn't do much for them, but it's always a nice late clump here and sometimes reblooms.

HUSH LITTLE BABY - It was actually more saturated in color in real life.

ANGEL RODGERS

FORSYTH GARRETT MASON

BEST FOR LAST

CORAL MAJORITY

SWEET SUGAR CANDY

ROYAL JESTER

BEWITCHING EYES ffo

QUEEN OF NARNIA's last flower - This was my longest blooming white on a single set of scapes. It bloomed for 34 days on scapes ranging from 16-21 buds.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 13:33

Comments (24)

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

I forget how hot is outside when I look at your pictures! They make me want to go out and play in the daylilies...and then I remember, lol.

Anyway, so many pretty things. Royal Jester triplets, Best for Last and all those Waves Become Wings, oh my....and I'm always in for whites, like Queen of Narnia.

That Forsyth Garrett Mason is calling to me. No, no, no!

I'm uncertain, but my Elegant Finale is a pastel. Maybe I have the wrong one? Who knows anymore.

Hope you're staying cool and comfortable there.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Katie - You are right Elegant Finale is a pastel orchid. The one I have posted is Regal Finale. I'm thankful for the edit post feature once again.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

You still have a lot of pretty ones to show, Debra.

Waves Have Wigs is very pretty, and, of course, I am a huge fan of Coral Majority. Hush Little Baby is such a great color, and if it doesn't show as bright as it is, that one is a really nice one. Garret Mason is always such a beautiful bloom. Still a lovely show, thank you.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I like REGAL FINALE . Looks as if they are taking off into the sky when they are curved back like that.

Julia

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

you atill have a lot of beauties. love that QUEEN OF NARNIA. Very pretty.I think that REGAL FINALE is my favorite of these. and AUTUMN JEWELS - for second favorite. That is soo pretty HUSH LITTLE BABY is a gorgeous little bloom, too.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kay - I had forgotten Coral Majority could be a red coral after seeing it orange coral during last year's drought. I'm surprised I don't have rebloom scapes coming on it, as I have had instant rebloom for the past two years.

Julia and Jean- The Regal Finale blooms do sort of look like they're trying to take off and fly. I'm happy about how quickly this plant formed a nice clump. It had pretty good branching this year. I think if I would fertilize it, it would have a nice bud count;

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Another fan of Coral Majority. I got it and Mary's Baby from Norris a few years back and am so pleased with how sunfast/colorfast they are in the inferno that is my garden. From a northern breeder that was unexpected. Not to hijack your thread but this is what Coloral Majority looked like around 7 in the evening after spending the day in the sun with a high of 95 degrees. Still stopped passersby on the sidewalk late that evening....Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - Your photo is lovely. Coral Majority just glows, doesn't it?

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I had never heard of Regal Finale, but it surely looks good. Autumn Jewels--mine is just a small clump of grass here. It's always pleasing to see Angel Rodgers.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - Regal Finale is one of Stamile's lates that really is late. I think I got it in a trade three years ago. It just keeps getting better every year.

Debra

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    10 years ago

Love Coral Majority, I got that one last year and am looking forward to seeing it bloom again here this year - it's one of only three daylilies that hasn't bloomed yet, definitely a welcome late.

I had Waves Become Wings and really think it's very pretty, but as much as I try, I just don't like (light) pink - I gave it away last year.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Twix - We all have our likes and dislikes. I'm a big fan of pinks. I think Waves Becomes Wing looks a little brighter in my garden than other photos I've seen. Here it is a soft rose pink. Coral Marjority is a good performing late with plenty of punch.

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I always love your photos of Waves Becomes Wings but never get around to ordering it. Hush Little Baby is the shade of pink I love. Royal Jester is always one of my favorite lates (and a bi-color, so it's right up your alley).

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Regal Finale is a stunner! Coral Majority does put out a lot of color, very showy, and evidently can take the heat. My favorite is F. Garrett Mason, just love that one. Avedon

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Avedon - Forsyth Garrett Mason is very pretty, but I'm envisioning a tall, late blooming cascade with its coloring. I've made a couple of crosses with it and am hopeful the pods will mature.

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

coral majority! that clump pic really displays its name!! great color. :)

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I will be waiting to see what kind of seedlings you can get with the F.Garret Mason crosses, sounds good to me. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

ANGEL RODGERS is my favorite.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita - Angle Rodgers has a beautiful bloom, but it doesn't seem to want to bloom much anymore. I only had one scapes out of eight fans this time.

Debra

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Loving Royal Jester and Regal Finale! Don't worry about having the wrong name on the picture; I still haven't even figured out how to put names directly onto my pictures! It would make life so much easier if I could though!

Tammy

• nat4b
    10 years ago

All so pretty I can't pick a favorite, love them all. Regal Finale looks nice! I don't have anything late of purple color, not that I have lots of lates (Ha, I looked it up and AHS picture is.. well, bad ;))
    F.Garrett Mason is very pretty, love Best For Last too, and Royal Jester is a pretty bicolor. My SSC had it's first bloom today too :)

I prefer DL names in the text field this way it's searchable. But it's also good when you can label pics because some of mine look so alike I don't rename my pics and sometimes have a hard time telling who's who :)

• Kevin7502
    10 years ago

All your pics are awesome. Had a chance to get Hush little baby on Sat. and passed. Have to go back this Sat. and buy it now. Lol.

• sophies
    10 years ago

Your pictures are beautiful. You must have an amazing garden. Thanks for posting.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tammy - I just figured out how to put names on my pictures this weekend. It's too bad the one I labeled had the wrong name.

Nat and Sophie - Thanks for your comments!

Kevin - Don't pass up the chance to get Hush Little Baby. It's a classic that everyone loves.

Debra

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals