Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Shive's Garden Slices

shive
10 years ago

Here are some clump shots and multiples from yesterday and this morning.

VICTORIAN LACE backed by ROBES FOR THE QUEEN and Perovskia

BEADED LIGHT

BELA LUGOSI

WITCH STITCHERY with STRAWBERRY CANDY and TRAHLYTA in the background

TRAHLYTA

VENUS'S FIRE

SOLAR MUSIC

ORCHID ELEGANCE

Debra

Comments (18)

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

So very beautiful - all of them, Debra! I wish I could be there to see them in person.

Nancy

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Great, great clump shots. I especially love TRAHLYTA and ORCHID ELEGANCE.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

OH: what some beautys again. Love VICTORIAAN LACE mine has rebloom scapes coming on it.(2) so far, and love BELA LUGOSI that is a beauty.. and my fsvorite of these beauties. ORCHID ELEGANCE is a real beauty, also. Love that one, too.

jean

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I love the clump shot of BELA LUGOSI. SOLAR MUSIC is a nice yellow. I love the round petals. ORCHID ELEGANCE is a lovely lavender. WITCH STITCHERY is gorgeous! I like the picture of Trahlyta. The pictures I've seen from growers here are always rather 'muddy'. Marg

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Beautiful, beautiful slices!! I like them all. I like how Bela Lugosi arranged its blooms for the shot. Both yellows are pretty. I really like the first pic of VL with Robes and blue, and my favorite is Venus's Fire today

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

Oooh, Venus' Fire is awesome!

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean - I envy you having rebloom on Victorian Lace. Mine has never rebloomed. Daylilies all around it do, so I don't know why it doesn't.

Nat and Mnclerk - Venus' Fire does get your attention, I put it in with all those lavenders and whites to spice things up.

Marg - Trahlyta does sometimes have brown tones with the grey. Most days it looks very pretty.

Rita - Anything in a clump looks better than a single bloom. Orchid Elegance always has multiple blooms open, but the clump is so large now that I have trouble getting a shot of the whole thing. Today it had three groups of three spread far apart. So three will have to do for today.

Nancy - Thanks! I wish could give you the real tour.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Well, I think I need to come walk around that garden Debra. I'm not sure I can limit to one, so let me see. Venus Fire is my kind of bloom. Love the brightness and the setting.

Orchid Elegance is an Elegant trio. Beautiful.

Victorian Lace is beautiful. Mine is re-blooming, and it is always a lovely plant.

That clump of Bella Lugosi is magnificent!

I like the looks of the three plants together (Stitch Witchery etc)

It is all very beautiful.
    kay

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Venus's Fire is an eye-popper. Is that Astral Voyager planted to the left of it? Orchid Elegance looks so much better than the photos on Tinker's. Kay had a much more vibrant photo of it, too.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - Yes, that is Astral Voyager planted next to Venus' Fire. Orchid Elegance is one whose petal color varies with temperature. The eye and edge seem consistent. It also looks a lot different in the sun than in the shade.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

You said part of the secret to your photography was capturing the light. Well, you captured it with these photos. WOW! Bela Lugosi is beautiful. I'm wondering if he has any peers when it comes to his many assets aside from beauty (sunfast/colorfast/long bloom etc.) Trahlyta has always intrigued me and you just showed why. Solar Music just shouts "look at me" with it's bright lemon yellow face. This is not to ignore the others as they are certainly pretty too. What a delight to see all of them....Maryl

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Really nice daylilies, I like every one of course. Victorian Lace looks especially nice with Robes. I like the look of Beaded Light, it does look like it is edged with beads. Bela is looking good. The blooms on mine are looking good this year, but I have to pull the tall weeds away to see the blooms. Trahlyta is beautiful. My maybe Trahlyta has bloomed, I'll post a photo when I get it uploaded, yours looks more red though. My favorite might be VENUS'S FIRE, it looks like a real attention getter. I really like ORCHID ELEGANCE too, really neat color combo.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - There are a lot of purples, but few can rival Bela Lugosi for all the attributes you mentioned. The only other I can think of in my garden is Grape Twizzler, an unusual form. I used to say my seedling, now Midnight in Memphis, but it had some problems this year with streaking in the hot afternoon. That may be related to all the bug control products I was using since it never did that in the past, and it was even hotter the past two Junes.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I've been pretty impressed with the Norris daylily Mary's Baby, but it's still too new to say for sure how sunfast/colorfast it will be in the heat (we are going through an unsual coolish spell this week with temps in the mid 80's so hard to judge)........... Do you sell your daylilies other then on the auction?.....Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - I was planning to sell some daylilies this year since I need to downsize some more to make room for seedlings. But I just discovered rust on a new plant yesterday, and I generally don't sell in years I have rust. I never know how much the rust will spread even though I caught this outbreak early. What worries me is that I have two other plants from that seller, so I'll anxiously be checking them daily. Luckily, the winter temps here kill the rust, so I will probably be selling quite a few in the spring. If you'd like, I can send you my spring sales list in the late fall. I usually offer plants to my friends on Garden Web and All Things Plants, and those that do not sell from the list are put on the Lily Auction.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Poor Victorian Lace. It really did deserve the Stout.

I like that Venus's Fire, even though Gossard simply describes it as a garden plant (often a put-down).

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Debra, I was looking through your photos again this morning, and was struck by the absolute beauty of the first one. Those three plants are a lovely concert of beauty.
    kay

• deangreen
    10 years ago

wow deb, quite a ribbon of color with that b lugosi pic!!! very nice and my goodness the one of V fire is awesome. I like how all that bright color is bunched up with the other flowers showing behind... good good good!