Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gary882

24/7 Daylilies

gary882
10 years ago

Does anyone know anything about the 24/7 Daylily collection?

Comments (3)

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

I googled the phrase and found several nurseries offering what they grandly call '24/7 collections'.

My gut reaction is that this is yet another marketing ploy and customers would be wiser to carefully select individual plants for their gardens.

John

• wildbirds
    10 years ago

There IS a '24/7' marketing program directed & operated by GARDEN DEBUT (GOOGLE their website). Currently there are 8 selected daylilies listed - ALL specifically bred & listed & marketed for the massive North American retail market. All appear to be both trademarked (Their names) & either 'plant patented' (PP# ....) or the 'patent has been applied for' (PPAF# ....) ALL have been properly registered with the AHS system & are tetraploids.

One should keep a few points in mind whilst considering what's taking place here with this (newest) daylily marketing program .... 'Groups' such as Garden Debut; All American; Trophytaker; Happy-Ever-Appster; etc.are made up of carefully selected, outstanding-performance, individual plants. Daylilies have been mass-marketed for several years now the same as other plants such as chrysanthemums; geraniums (Perlagoniums); selected shrubs & trees, etc.

For every avid daylily collector or breeder (AHS members?) there are thousands - thousands - of 'regular gardeners' or simply 'yard decorators' who simply want colour - reliable predictable colour for their gardens. The easier (Read 'effortless') the plant is ... all the better. Most people do not want to pamper their plants. Do not want to become involved with their plants (Making 'pets' out of them) as do many who would be reading GW Reports and similar info sites.

Nobody would invest the $$$ + effort + time to go through a PPAF & 'Trademarket name regsitration' plus set up a complex growing & marketing & distribution program if there wasn't some income with profit projection. Such national (Some are international) programs get quality daylilies into many more gardens than the outlets most of us would normally go to for new cultivars. I suspect that many future AHS members and serious collectors are drawn in to our daylily world by such enticing 'Trademarked & Patented Dayliles' such as Early-Bird Cardinal; Kokomo Sunset; Going Bananas; Mean Mister Mustard; etc.- acquired through so called Big-Box Stores and complex mail-order retailers.

I guess I should also explain at this point that I am NOT involved in any manner with daylily marketing or retail ... I'm simply curious about all manner of our chosen plant & especially the evolution of the farming & marketing & distribution of them. We grow our interests and our daylilies in a complicated and ever changing gardening culture ... These marketers are simply taking advantage of openings within it and actually improving our chosen plant by breeding 'ever-bloomers' + 'self-cleaners' + many more desirable traits.

Garry

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

I just researched a collection of 24/7 (R) daylilies.
    They were all hybridized by Petit, who creates great daylilies. I would, however, have expected to see
    offerings from a variety of hybridizers.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County