Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Twosomes and a Trance for Tuesday

shive
11 years ago

We finally got a break in the heat yesterday when some showers came through the area. We only got sprinkles, but it cooled things down to the 80s for the afternoon and evening. I was so glad we didn't hit the hundreds again. The daylilies look much better this morning, although some blooms are still faded.

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN reblooming and hanging on to those big, beautiful seed pods!

BULLFROG KISSES duo

CORAL MAJORITY is one that had terribly faded blooms yesterday. Today they are still lighter than its normal blooms, but not nearly as badly faded.

HOW LOVELY YOU ARE continues to be faded and looked near white for the second day in a row. No pink apparent, but still lovely.

ANGEL RODGERS ffo

Late bloomers MARY LIGHTFINE and ANTIQUE NOUVEAU

WILD APPLE AUTUMN

And a couple of my new ones by Margo Reed:

TRANCE is down to its last few blooms.

SHELBY stopped blooming over the weekend.

Debra

Comments (24)

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Bullforg Kisses is my pick, closely followed by Wild Apple Autumn. They really are looking lovely, Debra.

We had the cool off (though no rain here, just around us) yesterday and the daylilies looked much better here. Yes, we are in the 90s today, but that is normal for July. Much better.
    kay

• marricgardens
    11 years ago

I agree with Kay. I like all of them but like BFK and WAA the best. We're still waiting for some badly needed rain. Everyone around us gets it but we get maybe a drizzle. It's cooler today and they say we are supposed to get something later, I hope so. Marg

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Marg, that's what they tell us, but the rain has hopscotched around us...it often does, but the storms do too, so can't complain too much. Maybe we'll both get rain soon.
    kay

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Marg, that's what they tell us, but the rain has hopscotched around us...it often does, but the storms do too, so can't complain too much. Maybe we'll both get rain soon.
    kay

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

You have some beauties again today. LOVE that GOD SAVE THE QUEEN.Gorgeous,BULLFROG KISSES is a bright and pretty one, too. and, HOW LOVELY YOU ARE is really pretty, too. love the ruffles.Don't remember you showing MARY LIGHTFINE before, but it sure is a pretty one.
    WILD APPLE AUTUMN is a beauty, too.Glad you got some sprinkles to cool it down a little. WE had some in the area, too, but, didnt get a drop of rain here.The forecast is calling for scattered thunderstorms here today, and again on Thursday and Friday, too, but, it will probably do just like its been doing, either go around us, or

just fizzle out before it gets here.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay - Glad to hear you got a break in the heat too! Your two favorites are in pots. Those are faring better than my inground plants. The ground is so dry now, the water has a hard time soaking in, and just rolls right off. I've got my water jugs out there spewing water to a few of the most distressed plants right now.

Debra

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Beautiful ones today! I can't choose between Bullfrog Kisses and Mary Lightfine. Wild Apple Autumn is pretty and bright too.
    How is Antique Noveau performing for you?
    I didn't quite understand how to use those water jugs. Can I just use plastic milk bottles and make little holes in the bottom and put them by the plants, or how?

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

I'm always amazed that you still have such pretty blooms in spite of the horrid heat. I like all of these, with my favorites being Mary Lightfine, Wild Apple Autumn & Bullfrog Kisses. I also like How Lovely You Are, which is aptly named.

Celeste

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nat - I just poked holes in the bottom of a couple of one gallon jugs that previously contained water and iced tea. I think my holes I poked with scissors were really too big - tacks or small nails would probably be best for making the puncture wounds. I would think plastic milk jugs or bottles would be just fine too. I'm desperately trying to save Shores of Time because it has rebloom scapes and pods on it.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Everything is beautiful but BULLFROG KISSES is just the most beautiful. Glad it cooled down for you.

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

I'll be watching the performance of Bullfrog and Apple Autumn in the future, as both of these are certainly vibrant.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

I like Bullfrog Kisses. That's a good, representative picture of what my Coral Majority looks like (which still has a few blooms on it too). Angel Rogers appeals to me also. This late in the season it's hard to believe she's an ffo. I hope she likes the heat....We got a surprise sprinkle here in the PM. We wondered what was going on when we started to hear taps on our skylight. It has been so long since we had rain that we didn't recognize the raindrops falling at first. Back to 100 degrees or so for the rest of the week though......Maryl

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    11 years ago

BULLFROG KISSES is gorgeous! Very striking.

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Debra. We have several half-gallon milk jugs, and I'm gonna try it. It is windy here though, I wonder if they will stay in place.
    Hope you will save your Shores of Time!!

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Very pretty - but Wild Apple Autumn is by far my fav! Thanks for sharing the lovely blooms

Alexa

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marg and Jean - Hope you got some rain today!

Nat - Antique Noveau has moderate number of buds. It's not the greatest multiplier either. But it is late, and that what really counts to me.

Celeste - They are lovely at 8 a.m., but not 8 p.m. with this heat. It's 98 right now, and I'm hoping we won't have a high of 100 today.

Rita and twixanddud- Bullfrog Kisses is even more wonderful than I thought it would be. It's too bad it's blooming too late to cross it with Ruby Lipstick.

Maryl - You are so funny about not recognizing the sound of rain. I'm glad you got some. It's been a long time coming.

Caliloo - Wild Apple Autumn is a strikingly bright flower and a late bloomer!

Debra

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Bullfrog Kisses keeps inching its way closer to the top of my list with every photo you post. Maybe if I keep it very sheltered . . . . Shelby is a close second. You'll have to keep us posted on how it performs for you. And I love the wildly extravagant Wild Apple Autumn. You'd never know from looking at that one that it's been dry as a bone this year.

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Chris - Bullfrog Kisses does cast a spell. Wild Apple Autumn has never been dry. It's in a pot and is kept well watered.

Debra

• mizellie
    11 years ago

By golly Debra, it's hard to chose a favorite. I really like Bullfrog Kisses and How Lovely tou are. I could add more but I won't ....Ellie

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ellie! It looks like Bullfrog Kisses is the top favorite today.

Debra

• Edward_Kimball
    11 years ago

Debra is it possible that How Lovely You Are is improperly labeled? Has it ever bloomed pink? Here is How Lovely You Are in my garden.

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Every single one of them is looking gorgeous to me.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Edward - I don't think How Lovely You Are is improperly labeled. It didn't start blooming until we were having temperatures of 104-109. The first bloom had a trace of pink in it. Subsequent blooms have been totally bleached out. It's not the only one in my garden. Susan Weber is pure white without an edge, and so is Kisses from Heaven now. Cerise Beauty, rather than being cerise is an icy pink like American Doll. Several other lates (Desiree, Blessed Art Thou and Orchid Corsage are bleached out by the heat, too. It looks very pretty in your photo!

Debra

• anniegolden
    11 years ago

Debra, so many lovelies. BULLFROG KISSES gets my vote also.

Nat4b, cut enough of the milk jug off so that there is a large opening and then put a rock in there - wind problem solved!

Christine