Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Lates, an ffo, and a fond farewell

shive
10 years ago

Here is a combination of photos from yesterday and today. I'm starting with daylilies by Northern hybridizers and working my way into the Southern bred flowers.

BEST FOR LAST (Rice 2011) will likely be my best budded large flower. The best scape has 31 buds and the others range from 24-27. It's definitely my best late.

KENTUCKY LUCKY (Rice 2007) will be in the Top 10 best budded with 24 buds on its best scape. Today it had 12 flowers open on the clump - pretty good for a plant that's only been here two years. The flowers are blooming down in the foliage, as many of mine are this year, but that's not normal for this late bloomer.

KENTUCKY WOMAN (RIce 2010) is a first time bloomer in my garden. It was a bonus.

ENTWINED IN THE VINE (Emmerich 2007) with its ffo. I've been waiting two years for this one to open, and I love it!

REAP THE WHIRLWIND (Benz 2008)

MARGO REED INDEED (Murphy 2004)

STEALTH BOMBER (Hanson 2005)

EL DESPERADO (Stamile 1991) - This is our transition from North to South. It was hybridized in the north before Stamile moved to Florida.

BULLFROG KISSES (Smith 2008) - This is the last bloom. I hope I'll get rebloom on this one.

PINK ALOHA (BUNTYN 2006) - The first flower was light pink, and this one is bright pink. The true color is probably somewhere in between the two.

BAJA CALIFORNIA (Trimmer 2011)

VIA VENETO (Reilly 2003)

Debra

Comments (30)

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Oh my, the edges! Really like those three Rice daylilies, but Reap the Whirlwind is just awesome, my favorite from the Northern group. Beautiful pic of Margo Reed Indeed. Southern ones are so pretty too, it's a tie between Baja California and Bullfrog Kisses for a fave.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I'm finding myself really drawn to the whites this year, so Margo Reed Indeed is my favorite. I really like the bonus plant. It looks like a (much) prettier version of Rice's Twilight Colors, which I received as a bonus a while back. Entwined in the Vine is also looking good.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

I always love BULLFROG KISSES but pick KENTUCKY WOMAN as my favorite.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita - I didn't think anything could best Bullfrog Kisses for you. Your pick of KW surprised me.

Chris - Years ago when I first started growing daylilies, I didn't want any whites. Now they're among my favorites.

Nat - Reap the Whirlwind does have amazing edges, but the plant habit is not all that great. It doesn't have very many buds here.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Beautiful blooms all. Kentucky Woman, Reap the Whirlwind, and Bullfrog Kisses are my favorites. Kentucky Lucky is a gorgeous clump! Margo Reed Indeed is also beautiful.
    kay

• TNY78
    10 years ago

Love love love them all! The edges on Best for Last and Reap the Wind are AMAZING!

I also really like Kentucky Woman....there I go liking those edges again :)

Tammy

• User
    10 years ago

I love how you separated your selections between the northern and southern hybridizers. Very nice. The color of the large bud on Best to Last is so pretty. Reap the Wirlwinds long hanging tendrils (are they know as teeth?) is very fun. I also like Stealth Bomber and Margo Reed Indeed.

• KarenPA_6b
    10 years ago

You have such a beautiful selection of blooming daylilies. They are just breathtaking. My favorites are Kentucky Woman and Bullfrog Kisses. Margo Reed Indeed is exquisite.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Lovely Debra.
    Rice's daylilies do so well here. All of them have numerous scapes and buds but nothing blooming yet but I'm sure it will start soon.
    I do like Kentucky Woman. Nice shape and since it is new for you maybe next year you can give some feedback on it.

Julia

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

The frilly edges on the Rice cultivars are marvelous. I do notice, though, that those stand out as not being fully opened (certainly the first two). It may just be a result of pictures being taken at different times of the day.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Ever one looks fabulous! I do love the look of Bullfrog Kisses and Margo Reed Indeed, but I'm picking Best for Last. Sounds like its very well named.
    Val

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - The two Rice daylilies you mention as not being fully opened were the first two I photographed this morning at 6:20 a.m. Both of those are in the shade until about 9:30 a.m., and the flowers DO open flat even before they're hit by full sun. Early in the morning is the best time to photograph. You get the perfect light exposure, and the details of the flowers the most visible. Here's Kentucky Lucky at 5 p.m. I am shading the flower with my body and bright light is visible on the left corner. You do not get the best color details in this type of lighting, and photographing in full sun blows out the color. Just sayin'. I'll post the afternoon photo of Best for Last in the next box.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

BEST FOR LAST in the p.m. for Mantis

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Wow, every one is stunning. I do like big flowers & Best for Last sounds like a real winner. Kentucky Lucky is really pretty, I'm glad I read closely & realized it doesn't usually bloom low. Love Kentucky Woman. Entwined in the Vine is stunning, just a nice look. REAP THE WHIRLWIND makes me itch for some reason, but I like the look :) Your Margo Reed looks more white than mine, mine seems slightly yellow. Maybe because it is next to a white seedling that I have, I think you noted when I posted a photo of that seedling that it looked like a Margo seedling. The seedling is much more white than Margo.
    I'll stop now, but I like every one of your photos.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - Margo Reed Indeed always looks very white to me. When I see some photos on the Internet, like Maryott's, I can't believe it's the same plant. It never looks yellow here. Sometimes after a very cool night it will have a pink/beige tint.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow Debra, you have some beauties today.that one, looks like it was in a cat fight.REAP THE WHIRLWIND, but it is very pretty,anyway.I like KENTUCKY LUCKY . its very pretty, too.

STEALTH BOMBER is my favorite along with EL DESPERADO.Thats a great clump of el desperado.

jean

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I forgot to add PINK ALOHA as one of my favorite, too.I just love thet one,and didn't want to forget to include that one, too.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jean - Your description of Reap the Whirlwind looking like it was in a cat fight made me chuckle. I think Pink Aloha is going to become one of my very favorite pinks.

Debra

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

Entwined in the Vine looks to be worth the wait, and I always love Margo Reed Indeed.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

The "Best for Last" morning photo caught my attention right off. The afternoon photo shows the eye a bit more, but it could just be the light or perhaps the afternoon fading of the base color. Pink Aloha is gorgeous and I spotted a new scape coming up on one of mine so I hope it turns out as lovely as yours. Your shot of the clump El Desperado is marvelous. A good group.....Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Maryl - Best for Last has a faint halo. The afternoon shot darkens the halo and dulls the bloom color because I am shading the plant with my body. There was a bit of fading on the petal color.

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Thanks Debra for the explanation of the PM shot of Best for last. I have a thing for colorfast/sunfast daylilies as you know, so appreciate the pm information of color. Weren't you the one that said Leslie Renee was your favorite pink so far?........Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, I don't have Leslie Renee. My favorite pinks are Shores of Time, which I think you trashed because of rust, Natalie Antoinette and American Doll.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Love the cat fight comment :) Hey that or some variation could be a fun name for this type of flower

• deangreen
    10 years ago

wow that Kentucky one and the margo one are great great shots!!! really like 'em, and I always think it's amazing to see clump shots of Desperado.. same great effect as that daylily something racing horses or something. great!!!

• lalalandwi
    10 years ago

Very interesting on the notes of color differences. Some of the plants I moved down here never exhibited the same brightness as they did in WI. I had much better color consistency living in the north. Party Pinafore is the 1st that comes to mind. Loved that plant in WI & down here I have never seen it the same :( I wondered if it was even the same plant!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Sadly you are correct about Shores of Time and Natalie Antoinette. They were too rusty to keep for me last year, so as a last resort, and to stop spreading the infection, I pitched them both. I don't recall seeing your American Doll. Have you posted pictures of it this season? .........Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, I have posted a couple of photos of American Doll.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Oh, it is so pretty! Perfect blooms. I have a new small plant with little scapes :) Wonder how it will compare to JKO

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

Well Debra, I sure was missing a nice pink by not seeing American Doll. As usual a wonderful picture. You are a real enabler............Maryl

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County