Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taurustendency

Surprise seedlings

taurustendency
9 years ago

i would still consider myself a newbie to hybridizing, but my boyfriend and i have done some major collecting and playing around with it over the past few years. we are learning all we can.

2012 was our first year. we had very limited daylilies to play with at that point, but we made a ton of crosses with them. in spring of 2013 we set out all of our little seedlings to finally enjoy the outdoors. but a storm came and destroyed everything. hundreds of crosses. quite a learning experience. however, we ended up being able to repot only about 4 of them, with no tags or id's for them. we pretty much considered them a loss though. as all foliage kept repeatidly dying. so we just chucked these pots over in a forgotten corner outside and pretty much have neglected them since. about once a month we would water just in case, but wasnt holding out any hope. we were already busy with so many other flowers, that we really didnt care and wanted to start fresh.

but, this season, we saw significant growth from them, and even scapes were starting to pop up. the first one seems to be really beaten up from neglect and only bloomed once, and second looks healthy, and gets better with every bloom.

neither of which are flowers i want to keep or use in further hybridization...but i think we are gonna keep em around for sentimental value. we are not going to register or sell them, but we have named them, reflecting the battle they went through to survive.

This post was edited by taurustendency on Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 10:45

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm