Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Splitting up my plants?

Posted by kristie73 z5 Co Springs (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 12 at 10:58

I am still a rookie gardener, so please bare with my inexperience. I planted 3 stella de oro (I think) lilies about 6 years ago. Then I planted one lily that has red and yellow center bloom and another one similar but it's a little taller and slightly different leaves. I don't remember those names. Anyway, they are getting really big. I have never really cut them, just cleaned up a little in each Spring. They have done so well every year. They are beautiful and border my flower garden. I feel like I should split them in half or thirds and plant elsewhere in my yard. How do I do this? I probably should have done it in the Spring, because now they are in full bloom. Should I wait or try to do it on a cool day? What is the process? What do I need to know? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Splitting up my plants?

Hi Kristie!
Most people divide daylilies in the spring or in early fall when it's cool. Wait until after they finish blooming. If it's cool enough for you in August, and it likely will be in Colorado, divide then and replant. Daylilies need at least six weeks before a hard frost to settle in and grow new roots. Although the Stellas need to be divided at least every two years for maximum bloom, the larger daylilies don't need to be divided as often. I have some with 18 or 20 fans that are still blooming fine, so I leave them alone. I'll post some links later with directions for how to divide.

By the way, how close are you to where the wild fires destroyed so many homes in Colorado Springs?

Debra

o
RE: Dividing daylilies

Here's an article with photos showing how to divide daylilies. I find pictures to be helpful in explaining.

Here is a link that might be useful: This Old House

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here