Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Thursday's Bloomers

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Mandarin Firecracker by Charmaine Rich in Vermont. Probably a little known hybridizer that does not have a lot of intros but her stuff is just fantastic. Pretty but more important if you are looking for lots of bloom and great garden performance her intros just excell.

Harvest House a Byran Culver intro that I planted last spring.

Velvet Eyes

Man Of Sorrows (Emmerich)

Ruby Shadows (Korth) is still blooming dark like it started out this year. It was much, much lighter last year and all prior years.

Shimmering Red Sation. I love this daylily.

Starblaze looked perfect for picture taking.

Born To Reign (Emmerich)

Westbourne Blueberry Popsickle is a better picture than I had afew days ago.

Westburne Bubbling Over FFO

Westbourne Mom Kirbys Plum Pudding

Westbourne Whipperwill Call is just so striking.

Carnaval In Mexico has large very dramatic flowers.

A zinnia patch that is up behind the daylily plateau in the very back of the backyard.

Comments (17)

• marricgardens
    12 years ago

Those are all beauties, as usual Rita. My favorites tho are Westbourne Blueberry Popsickle and Mandarin Firecracker. Even then, I don't know which I would pick as #1. Marg

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Mom Kirby's Plum Pudding looks as rich as it's name! Yummy! All are gorgeous but would have to say my fav. is the ruffles on the orange sherbet Mandarine Firecracker. :)TFS

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

Beautiful blooms and photos,Rita. Lets, see...with all the rich colors, Carnival in Mexico, Mom's Plum Pudding, Born to Reign, Ruby Shadows, Velvet Eyes, Harvest House! So Many really beautiful ones.

I can get it to Velvet Eya, Mom's Plum Pudding and Carnival in Mexico and that's it! No fair, there are too many I love here.
    kay

• avedon_gw
    12 years ago

As usual, too many lovelies to pick a favorite. Avedon

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

VELVET EYES and WESTBOURNE WHIPPHORWILL CALL are my favorites today. But you have me interested in learning about Charmaine Rich's daylilies.

Your zinnia bed is nice. So you have (front to back) portulaca, daylilies, then zinnias? Since they all come in a similar array of colors, this must be so colorful.
    Christine

• nat4b
    12 years ago

Beautiful as always! I recognized Velvet Eyes immediately, such a pretty picture. Man of Sorrows is so rich and gorgeous, I also love Shimmering Red Sation, what a nice color, and all the other purples. And W.Whipperwill Call is unusual and very pretty.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all!

Christine- The portulacas are in the terraces gardens. That is a series of four terraces of various design and heights near my kitchen door. It was designed to go from the main level that the house is on and up to the literally upstairs part of my back yard. To give me gardens going up. So the portulacas are in terrace one. Terrace two has mainly daylilies but I did move out the last few daylilies from the back of the mid part so that I could plant afew zinnias there. So there are zinnias blooming there now.

The zinnias pictured are in another area of the yard. These are all the way upstairs and in the back of my property on the small terrace section which is in back of the daylily plateau. You can see the back of my neighbors garage in the picture. The plateau is a very large (for me) really raised bed that is all daylilies. I have shown pictures of it so you might have seen it.

I also have zinnias in the front yard.

I have all of Charmaine's 2008 and 2009 intros. Here is a link to her website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hold N Heaven Daylilies

• maximus7116
    12 years ago

Wow, Rita, I found quite a few I want from this bunch. Man of Sorrows tops the list (and I'm sure I've said that before), and I really like Westbourne WC. Thanks for adding to my list.

• Nancy
    12 years ago

They are all fantastic, I can't pick a favorite either. Ruby Shadows definitely looks like a completely different daylily here, mine is more like red eye on cream. I still love Westbourne Whipperwill Call, very unique. Man of Sorrows always attracts me, so I like Westbourne Mom Kirbys Plum Pudding too, and Born To Reign is so pretty too. Carnaval In Mexico reminds me of the color combo that Bold Tiger has, which I love. Shimmering Red Station looks rather unique too, not a normal red.

• mantis__oh
    12 years ago

Whipperwill Call is my favorite. Your zinnias look so healthy.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Anyone thinking of adding MAN OF SORROWS, I can really recommend this daylily. Always looks good and such a lovely flower. Since it is from Karol Emmerich you know it will do great in northern gardens.

mantis- My zinias always look good because they never get mildew. This is because as I spray my roses with the fungicide I give a quick squirt to the zinnias also.

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

They're all beautiful. I can't even narrow it down to three.
    Val

• mizellie
    12 years ago

You have a lot of pretty ones but Westbourne Whipperwill Call gets my fav vote..Ellie

• mlwgardener
    12 years ago

They are all so beautiful!!!! I'll have 2 of each please!
    Blessings, Mona

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

GEEZ You really have the beauties this year, Such loud and bright colors and they are all gorgeous.MAN OF SORROWS is just so pretty, Love BORN TO REIGN is a beauty, too and I just love CARNIVAL IN MEXICO. b ut I think my favorite is WESTBOURNE WHIPPERWILL CALL. That one is so different and very pretty.

Jean

• houstmag
    12 years ago

As happens more than once with your blooms I can't pick a favorite all are beautiful.
    Linda

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all! I don't know why but the daylilies have really been showing off this year like crazy. I see so many perfect blooms each day I hardly know what to shoot. Last year things started out thrip damaged. This year I decided none of that and sprayed twice, the first time before bloom season. It has resulted in perfect blooms.