Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Rainy Days and Monday's Blooms

shive
10 years ago

We've gotten quite a bit of rain over the past three days. This morning we've already had four rounds of showers, and there are more on the way. My photography was limited to under the carport today.

JEANNE DEAVER'S DREAM was dreamy and dry.

SMALL WORLD SNOW OWL - I brought the pot of this one under the carport in between showers. It's a new one for me.

BAJA CALIFORNIA

Here are some from yesterday.

CAROLINA COOL DOWN is my favorite Davisson. It's had a lot of different looks and different shades of color this season, but every bloom was beautiful. I'm still growing it in a pot (that was not fertilized), and it had 11-12 buds per scape.

AUTUMN WOOD - I'm surprised this one bloomed at all since it's in a shady, weedy area.

LINDA BECK is such a good rebloomer!

So is BLUSHED WITH EMERALD!

RUBY LIPSTICK looking a little bleached out by our high temps last week. This is the last bloom on the clump in my island bed. The raised bed clump still has four or five buds left.

NUCLEAR MELTDOWN blooming abnormally late.

WITCH'S STICK, a late bloomer

And in the seedling bed in full sun:

SOT X RR

The last bloom on SB X JN #2

Turn of the Century hardy hibiscus

Debra

Comments (12)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

beautiful, as usual.I love JEANNE DEAVER'S DREAM. I wonder if that was John Denver's wife's name.he was one of my favorite singers.. SMALL WORLD SNOW OWL is pretty and fresh looking today.its very hot and humid here,with still no rain.I really like AUTUMN WOOD , too.
    and LINDA BECK is always a beauty.BLUSHED WITH EMERALD looks like a huge bloom and very pretty.Love your seedling. its a beauty and so is that HIBISCUS. have never seen one like it before.

jean

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Well, I'm happy to hear you have a shade/weed bed, too. The hibiscus photo is terrific, and as for the daylilies, you know I love JDD. Linda Beck and Baja California are beautiful. Has LB been splotchy for you at all? The best coloring is on your SOT seedling.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - A small percentage of my Linda Beck blooms have been splotchy, but that's because of Thrips Round III. Some days on rebloom,I will have two or three blooms, and one of them will be splotchy. Most of the blooms on the initial blooms were fairly unblemished.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

RUBY LIPSTICK still looks good. CAROLINA COOL DOWN does resemble RIBBIT RIBBI.
    All look very good even with the raindrops.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Everything looks beautiful, raindrops or not. Love your hibiscus. Jeanne Deaver's Dream is my favorite today, and I like that first seedling. We are just getting stutter's of rain.

kay

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

BAJA CALIFORNIA is such a stunner.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Julia - Yes, CCD and Ribbit Ribbit do look somewhat alike.

Kay - We've had so much rain today, I thought about building and ark!

Rita - Thanks! Baja California started blooming way late, but I like have its blooms when others are winding down.

Debra

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

All very nice! First seedling I like, but wonder how vigorous it is, as Shores of Time has taken a long time to establish here. Interesting that Cool Down is your favorite Davisson. How would you rate other Davissons that you have grown--both positives and negatives? Linda Beck here is generally free of splotchiness. There are exceptions, but I don't recall any days in which she looked wretched. (Tomorrow will probably make me a liar.)

This post was edited by mantis__oh on Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 21:13

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

After going back and forth about five times I've decided that I can't pick a favorite. There are too many nice ones. I love the color on your first seedling and the watermark eye.
    Could you please send some rain in this direction? We haven't had measureable rain this month! It goes either north or south of us every time.
    Val

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis - The Shores of Time seedling is only a one year old so there's not much to evaluate yet. It is definitely more vigorous than its lookalike sister. The sib is still one fan, and the one pictured above split into three fans after blooming. I'm hoping that one will continue to improve because it has such fabulous color.

Of my Davissons, only Miss Goldie Gold Digger and a toothy seedling are planted in the ground. The drawback with Miss Goldie is the gigantic blooms that weigh the scapes down too much when it rains. It has 16-21 buds per scape here and some instant rebloom coming. No Boys Allowed multiplies well, but consistently has low bud count for me. Michael Davisson has a wimpy plant habit but gorgeous blooms. It had more buds than No Boys Allowed, but not as many as Carolina Cool Down. Miss Demeanor is a vigorous multiplier with big fans. Only 8-9 buds grown in a pot. Reckless Girls impressed me with it's good growth and immediate multiplying. The purple blooms were very sunfast. Another well-budded Davisson is a seedling I got from her, which is a cross between Jerry Nettles and No Boys Allowed. It had 16-18 buds this season. It multiplies well and has nice foliage. It does not grow as tall here as it does for Judy.

Davisson Seedling Jerry Nettles X No Boys Allowed

This post was edited by shive on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 19:01

• polymerous
    10 years ago

I appreciate your photo of 'Small World Snow Owl', as I just got it this summer (and have had no bloom yet).

Several of the other daylilies look great, too, but that Hibiscus is absolutely stunning!

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Several I like here, your garden still has so much going on. I love Baha, & Linda Beck really has a lot of appeal. I like Witches stick too.