Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_kitten

Rain...and weeding in it.

organic_kitten
11 years ago

We have gotten almost two inches of rain since we went to bed last night. (hoorau!)There were a number of little thunderstorms, one after the other.

I have been outside in a light sprinkle pulling up hundreds of little oak trees from the rose garden and weeds from the path and one iris bed. The oak trees are coming out of the ground pretty easily for a change (the rain and the nice soft dirt I have built in the newer rose garden.

I plan to go back outside and continue where I left off as long as it doesn't rain really hard ot start in lightening.

kay

Comments (18)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

HOORAY for the rain.Wish you send some of it here. I got a quarter inch a few days ago, but, it barely wet the ground and some places didnt even do that,and I had to go out and water anyway.I am tired of watering every day. needing a break.

jean

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bless your heart, Jean, it does look like the good Lord would send you a nice rain. this the second time we've gotten a couple inches and you've had none. Your garden is doing what mine did last year...like a desert. the ground gets so hard. I hope you get some rain soon.

I am about to go back outside and weed some more, even though it will be much warmer as the rain is over, of course.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Hurray for the much needed rain! Of course those nasty weeds grow rain or not. Nothing seems to stop them.

• polymerous
    11 years ago

You need a theme song - "Weedin' in the Rain" - lol!

Gene Kelley Singin' in the Rain

• Nancy
    11 years ago

I was so proud early in the season when the mulch kept all the weeds out so nicely. Everything looked so good, then about 3 weeks ago we started getting some much needed rain. Johnson grass is showing up all over the place. I'm much behind in my weeding.
    Glad you got your rain though! We could use some more rain, we get 1/2" here & there, enough to keep things from getting really bad again, but not enough to really make anything happy except the weeds. Not wet enough to make the weeds easy to pull either.

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

It's raining here now!! I love it. Now I hope everyone else can join in.
    Val

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Really happy for you, Kay, and all others who are getting much needed rain. I keep hoping Jean is going to get lucky pretty soon, it's so terrible to be in a drought situation. Avedon

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I love to weed after it rains. So much easier to get the little buggers out. I've got an invasion of Queen Anne's Lace this year and I've been busy pulling it all out of the garden beds. The tap roots are so long but I'm not giving up.

After the storm last week, we've been blessed with more rain and it is raining here now. Another thunderstorm but who cares....its raining :-).

Julia

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well, I am happy that some of you are getting rain, even if it aint me getting some.Maybe it will rain soon, here, too.It did rain south of town and a storm blew trees down and tore out power lines and about 3,000 are out of power.I am happy thats not me with no power in this 100 plus heat.weather channel today said its going to get hotter too.

Jean

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Kay, I love working out in the rain too!! As long as it's rain only!! Ellie

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for reading and commenting. Not far from here, they got a little too much rain and had flooding issues. Some folks who lived near a lake had the bad experience of the lake moving to their houses, but we just had a beneficial couple of inches.

Rita, the weeds here are on steroids. I think every single acorn tries to become a tree! Weedin' in the rain sounds good! Val, I'm glad you got rain, and we are all hoping for Jean to get some. Avedon, you are so right. We had the bad drought last year and were headed there this year.

Nancy and Julia. the worst part of weeding is you know you are going to have to do it again! Soon!

I managed to get almost all of the new rose garden weeded and Preened it and got a nice section mulched. I took a couple pics that I will post later. I did spend the last couple hours working in the heat after the rain stopped, and sizzling in the humid heat wasn't nearly as pleasant as working in the gentle rain.

Jude the Obscure was blooming nicely today with several lovely fragrant blooms.

Ellie, working in the rain sure beats working in the heat.

Tomorrow morning it's back to the gym. This is not easy, but I think it is very good for me. I may take DH's insistent advice and not walk the 30 minutes on the treadmill after working out on all the machines...I have been overtired each day I did that. But I may walk anyway.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Kay, don't take on too much at once. Exercize is good but overdoing is not so good. As for the weeds, well, we all know that if anything in a garden is going to grow it will be the weeds.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Rita,
    I cannot believe that you, of all the overdoers on this forum, the queen of them, would caution me. Did you at least blush? Ha!

You know it is my nature too. The young guy at the gum is excellent about watching what you are doing and how you are doing it.

I may get back in the garden today, but it may be tomorrow before I do any more.

Ah well. Thanks for your concern my fellow overdoer...you have how many bulbs coming this fall? :)
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Humm, only over 2,500 bulbs ordered :-)) Don't want to think about having to plant them but I do keep thinking how nice it will look in the spring. I just ordered a little here and there. Don't know how it got to be that many!

And as far as overdoing. Like you I have plenty to do in the garden. So I would not even think of joining a gym.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am hoping to gain strength from the gym. The young attendant acts as sort of personalized trainer. I feel so good when I leave the gym, but the tired comes on a few hours later. I am really enjoying it right now.

We'll see what happens in a few weeks when I can actually spend more time in the garden as it should cool off a bit.

kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

I have given up on being as strong as I once was when younger. I still manage to get everthing done so I guess that is what really counts.

• organic_kitten
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ah, Rita, but you probably weren't falling, and I fell a few times, and the falls were falls that shouldn't have happened...a little better balance or strength would have prevented them, but I went over like a tree.

That's when I started doing free weights at home. The this stupid psoriatic arthritis started flaring, and I had to stop and go on steroids. Couldn't seem to get back in it, but this gym is a little different too. It is next to the physical therapy office, and so far, even though it is open to the public, there have been very few people there when we go. (1 other person twice) And they are old and frailer than I am...there is supposed to be a 91 year old lady that comes on Wednesdays.

There is a young man in there who acts as a personal trainer. I am enjoying it tremendously and can see an increase in strength and balance already...the achines are regular gym machines, and I am amking good progress on most of them.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Oh Kay. I didn't know about the falling. I see you ARE being smart and doing the right thing. My balace certainly is not as good as it was when I was a young woman and I stay off high laders but other wise it is fine. No falling over thank goodness!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations