Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Shive's Sunday Seedlings

shive
10 years ago

I'm on the fence about registering this one, even though I have more than 20 fans. It's a 6.5 inch bloom on 44-48 inches scapes with 17-19 buds and 3-4 way branching. The color is sangria red with a black red chevron halo. I'm going to have to measure for spider ratio, and I've never done that before. Being such a tall daylily, I wish it had better branched scapes. Also I lost my stats on this one when a previous computer died, and I can't remember whether or not it's an evergreen.

Black Plush X Starman's Quest (possible name Sangria with Mia)

Comments (22)

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bali Watercolor X Electric Mist

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Absolute Treasure X Earth Music

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Bali Watercolor X Electric Mist is my choice--how are the stats on this one? Avedon

• User
    10 years ago

Very lovely seedlings. The green throat on the second picture is different and very nice! I also love the purple pink shade of the third seedling. Your description of the first - a sangria red - sounds like inspiration for the name!

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Very pretty seedlings - I like the first one best.

Nancy

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

They are all pretty. I like the first one best.
    kay

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

Love that green throat on the Bali seedling.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I like the first one and think you'd find quite an audience for it. I prefer the coloring of the second one. Green throats, you know.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Avedon, Faraway, and Maximus - Bali Watercolor X Electric Mist has a green applique throat. I think that might be unique. That one has 7-8 inch blooms on 32 inche scapes with 11-12 buds per scape. It's growing in part shade, so when I move it to full sun the stats should improve.

Nancy, Kay and Chris - I'm glad to find some people liking the first seedling. It might have more buds and branching if it didn't have a 5 foot tall rudbeckia that sprouted up next to it. But I couldn't stand to pull up the Black eyed Susan since I new it would look so perfect with the seedling's blooms. That's one that increased from 13-19 buds after it's move to more sun.

Hostabuff - Thanks for your comments - especially about Absolute Treasure X Earth Music. The rosy purple is an unusual shade, and I like the gentle ruffling.

Debra

• dani_plus_2
    10 years ago

1 and 2 I like the best .... nice colors!

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Nice! I like the 2nd one best, but each one has something to offer. I have a hard time pulling black eyed susans, I have one that is gorgeous, but I have to pull it out. I've been looking & looking for a daylily that hasn't bloomed. I decided that I must have lost it, & just found it this morning almost under the black eyed susan. Sounds like the first one has nice bud count, always a plus.

• polymerous
    10 years ago

Love the color on the third seedling.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

I think the last one is a beauty.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nancy - I have trouble pulling up black eye susan volunteers, and for years I wouldn't mulch because I wanted them to self seed. I planted the seeds about 10 years ago, and they just keep self sowing every year.

Poly and Jean - Thanks for your comments about the third seedling!

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Pretty seedlings and I do like that first one a lot.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Rita for looking and commenting!

Debra

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I have to say that I like them all no clear cut favorite for me.
    Linda

• blondiesc
    10 years ago

Love that first one with the blackeyed susan backdrop!

• deangreen
    10 years ago

deb that first one is really nice. I like how you have all the flowers behind it. and great name! ha.

• deluxemoonpie
    10 years ago

I really like the second one!!

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

They are all very pretty. Love the color on the last one and the throat on the second, but the first is my overall favorite combining pattern, color and throat. Does it stand up straight? Some of my tall diploids are leaners.
    Val

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Val - Yes, despite the tall scapes, Black Plush X Starman's Quest has ramrod straight scapes. It was originally growing in part shade, and even there had nice straight scapes. I hate the leaners. I have a beautiful tet UF seedling that's a leaner, and because of it, I will not introduce it no matter how good the pattern is on the bloom.

Debra

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21