Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avedon_gw

OT Need Advice About Unexpected Messages

avedon_gw
10 years ago

I was out of town yesterday and when I turned on the computer last night to check for e-mail messages, I was very surprised to have a message from somebody who said they had viewed my Photobucket pictures. This person signed as LucidCrush claimed to be bored, was checking out photos, thought mine were "cool" and wanted me to text to a number. This morning, when I got back from shopping, I had another message, this time from ShineyDesireszzzz167 --same thing, saw pics on Photobucket, is bored, wants to get in touch by Skype, etc. Has anyone else had this happen to them? Needless to say, this is a big red flag to me, and I think I will now have to password protect my Photobucket account. I guess I am very naive, it's my age, I never think about this sort of thing happening. I think people who are genuinely interested in the pictures don't sign on like this. Please let me know if any of you have had this problem and how you handled it. Avedon

Comments (10)

• celeste/NH
    10 years ago

Hi Avedon,
    I uploaded a bunch of pics for my posts last night and this morning my husband (whose account I use) informed me that he got some weird emails from someone looking at my photos. Sounds like the same person(s) as yours because the message is the same. I am shocked to know that we will be getting spam like this just for uploading on Photobucket! Is this part of their NEW and improved changes? I haven't had time to investigate it myself so I am concerned about it as you are. These are NOT gardening people interested in our flower pictures!

Celeste

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Celeste, sorry to be so late posting to your threads, was going to try to catch up on that today. After this happened, I went back and deleted the one picture of my husband and me that I mistakenly had with the flower pictures. The big joke is this pic was taken 40 years ago when my hubby and I were young and cute--LOL. Obviously, we don't look anything like that now, but I took it off anyway. I don't want any personal type photos on Photobucket if these sleazy people can messsage us this way. This sounds like some sort of scan where if you were to answer them, it would cost a lot of money. This may only be a guess, but it has to be some sort of fraud. I am going to delete the messages from the e-mails and put a password on my account. It is a sorry world we live in now when I can't even have my pictures out in case any gardening person can view them and comment. That has happened before, but no problem, a person who liked a picture of one of our daylilies. Looks like those days are gone now. Since you have family pictures on Photobucket, you might want to rethink it, too. Now I need to get a password put on my account, and list it as private. I am also going to contact Photobucket and let them know about this, see what they say. Avedon

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I got the same messages from 3 different people. I've never posted pictures of people on PB, I simply blocked sender. If I get any more I will email PB and find out what's going on.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I also got several of the messages. I just reported them as spam

kay

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I went to photobucket and typed the word spamming into the help section. Got the information that they are aware of it, and are working on it as well as deleting account of the spammers.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Avedon: I have a password for signing in to my Photobucket account and also all my albums are made Private. I've never received that message and if I did, I would simply delete as I know it is spam and I'd send it to Photobucket as well.

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the changes Photobucket has made but merely spammers just finding a way to access your information. Same with Facebook.

Julia

• shive
    10 years ago

I got two similar messages this week. I also reported them as spam. How annoying!

• avedon_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have now put a password on my private accounts and reported the problem to Photobucket. Also deleted these messages and hope to never see them again. Looks like the spammers have been hitting a number of people here. Avedon

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

I've been getting the same type of messages. Will now change my photos over to "Private." It's such a shame, was happy to share my daylily photos with anyone.

Nancy

• dementieva
    10 years ago

I would recommend ignoring the emails -- since so many people seem to be getting these emails, the people doing it probably aren't even looking at your pictures. They're probably just using PB to find active email addresses (which they can then sell or use for advertisement spam).

If you can make your email address private, that's probably the best way to prevent more spam.

Nate

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH