Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czmls

seed pods

czmls
16 years ago

Hello all...I am a beginner and just moved into my first home!! There are some lillies in the yard with what I think are seed pods forming...how shall i treat them for i would love to try to plant some of my own seeds! When do I pick them...how do i store them when i do so?

Comment (1)

• angphotos
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Harvesting Seed Pods:
    Seed pods are ready to harvest when they start to turn brown and crack between the three lobes of the seed compartments. Failure to harvest seed will result in the loss of you precious seed. The seed pod will open completely and spill seed on the grown, depriving you of you hybridizing efforts. Check you seed pod daily to minimize these unfortunate losses. I use a 24 compartment small part or fishing tackle case to collect my seed pod in the garden. (Available in the sporting good dept. at Wal-Mart stores) Place the seed pod and tag in a single compartment and close the lid to prevent spills. I bring my seed indoors and shell the seed pod into open baby food jars placing the original tag in the jar. I print the parentage, date of cross and pliody of each parent & harvest date on a #1 coin envelopes for final storage of my seeds. Each cross is assigned a unique number. This is a combination of the year, parentage. If I crossed Ed Brown with Strawberry Candy in the year 2003, the number would be 03-185-555. Multiple crosses of the same parentage are assigned the same Id number. The envelope is place inside the open jar with seeds and tag. Seeds are air dried for 3 week before planting or storing in the refrigerator. I store all Dormant Cultivar seed at least 6 weeks in the refrigerator before planting. Dormants require a period of cold storage to provide their required dormancy period. Dormant seed not give a period of cold storage may not germinate. All jars are place in nursery flat in racks to prevent accidental spilling and mixing of crosses, until they are placed into the marked coin envelopes for storage.

Seed Starting and growing:
    Before starting your Daylily seeds it is important know the nutrient content of your soil. Perform a complete soil analysis to determine fertilization needs. Soil sample kits including sample bag and instructions can be obtained from your local county Agricultural extension service office free of charge. However, the fee for the actual soil analysis is usually about $15.00.

Raised bed is by far the best method of growing healthy seedling. The soil should contain liberal amounts of well composted manure and/or rich compost. I use Horse manure and either mushroom compost or Cotton burr compost. Your soil should be well drained to prevent crown rot. Sand can be worked into the soil if your soil is heavy clay. Soil PH should be between 6.5 and 7.0 for best results.

Starting Daylily seeds is quite simple regardless of your gardening experience. Most growers prefer starting seed by directly sowing seeds in the growing beds. However my space is limited and cannot afford space wasted by seeds that do not germinate. I sow all my seeds in nursery growing flats. This method allows me to transplant my seedling and utilize all my available bed space. This method required transplanting when the seedling are large enough to be moved to the growing beds. I use Sunshine #1 mix to start my seedlings. I normally start planting my seed within a couple day of harvesting the seedpods. The fresher the seed, the better germination rate will be.

Seeds should be planted about 1/4" below the soil line regardless of your method of sowing your seeds. The seeds should be placed at least 8 inches apart. Spacing the seeds 12 to 18 inches apart will grow faster and bloom sooner. The soil or starting mix should be moist, not wet. Seedling should emerge in 7 to 10 days. Soil should be kept moist preventing the soil from forming a hard crust on the surface. Seedling should be fed regularly with fish emulsion or a weak 1/2 strength solution of a balanced fertilizer like
    20-20-20 . Miracle-grow or Peters plant food works fine. It is extremely important to keep weed out of your seedling bed. Small newly emerging seedling imply cannot compete with weeds for nutrients. When seedling are 6" high they should be mulched to reduce the growth of weeds. Leave, pine needles or pine bark make great mulch. As the seedling grow larger additional mulch can be used to control weeds.

This was cut from http://www.tinkersgardens.com/daylilies/hybridizingdaylilies.asp

Here is a link that might be useful: Tinker Gardens