Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hostanista

Is this Love That Lipstick?

hostanista
10 years ago

I'm a hosta lover, not so much day lilies, but I have this beauty in my back yard with no I.D. Any experts out there who can confirm what it is? I did a quick search and came up with 'Love That Lipstick' but what do you think?

Comments (4)

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

Good luck, Hostanista! it is very difficult (repeat endlessly) to identify from a photo. Cameras vary, etc., etc.

Do you have any info? Do you remember where and from whom you got it/bought it?

How do the stats match up?

It's really really tough except with a very few who are so distinctive to identify.

I mean, you have the whole camera color thing on top of variations with temperature, growing conditions, time of day, length of time it has been in your garden, etc.

Also, people do sell seedlings and others pass them on (some can be very nice flowers), people forget names and give them garden names....yikes.

We tend to keep databases (of our own) and lists and maps and etc., etc. because losing track of one is...urghhhhh...so frustrating (laughing...picture me pulling my hair out!).

If we like the flower (anyway), some of us will just refer to it as NOID (No ID) and love it regardless. Some of us who are overwhelmed (ahem) tend to discard those we lose track of or find them new loving homes.

Luckily, unlike hostas, they don't tend to sport with division which must make hosta identification a nightmare on occasion. I remember hearing Tony Avent years ago talk about this. Sometimes you get lucky and get something wild from a hosta, sometimes you reduce a $30 hosta to a $5 one. But, we still love them....because that's just how we are :)

Okay, seriously, good luck with this one. I hope you can figure it out (but I wouldn't try from the ...what, is it at 70K or so now...AHS database without some good hints).

Take care now.

• hostanista
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, Gonegardening. Didn't buy it. Moved into this house 18 months ago. These gardens are probably 7-8 years old, planted by previous owner. I'll call it a NOID for now, unless someone else chimes in.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Good advice from gonegardening. It is a pretty one, regardless of it's name. I have a few I keep as NOIDS because they are too pretty to let go.
    kay

• shive
    10 years ago

It looks like Strawberry Candy to me.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!