Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Rain, rain go away and return another day

shive
10 years ago

It's been raining here for more than two days, and I'm ready for it to stop. For the first day and a half I was thankful I didn't have to water. But now it's messing up my pollenation plans bigtime. Unfortunately it looks like at least one more day of thunderstorms. I'm still amazed by the changes cool temperatures have made in the blooms. Colors look saturated, some oversaturated, and it even changed the shapes of some blooms.

My older Lambertsons have lost the blueness of their eyes, but the patterning is intense, and I like the shapes.

EYES A BLUE

METALLIC BLUE EYES

TIFFANY JEWELS had her ffo today in the rain. I've never seen the color this dark in the five years it's bloomed here.

TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC really looked brown today. Now I can see why Moldovan thought of a teddy bear viewing it in his own garden.

LAST SNOWFLAKE just laughed at the rain and went on being beautiful.

INDY FLING

WOODSMAN

WESTBOURNE LITTLE LAMB

And here are a couple from drier days this week.
CARY GRANT

DESPERADO LOVE

I'll leave you with one last rain drenched photo. The best purple left in my garden last night after 15 hours of rain was my seedling, Cosmic Sensation X Alan Lane Agin. Even Bela Lugosi had brown streaks. Linda Beck was nothing but brown. But this one held it's color.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Fri, Jul 5, 13 at 12:57

Comments (13)

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Isn't it interesting how daylilies change the look depending on temp and weather. Tiffany Jewels looks nice, I don't remember the previous pictures. Love Cary Grant, and Little Lambs are very lovely. Last Snowflake is my very favorite though! I'd really love to add this one, even if it doesn't have as many buds or shorter than registered. It's just gorgeous. Wow, very impressed with the substance of your seedling, it looks great.
    And, I am beginning to get envious of the forum rains, I just dread the repeat of last year, no-no-no!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Your seedling is obviously a winner. Cary Grant is gorgeous. We have rain too. Again. No ffos, so I'm not taking pics today.
    kay

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat - I wish I could send some of this rain your way. The rain stopped for awhile, and I went out to weed some in the seedling bed. Suddenly it started raining hard again, and I got soaked. LOL Last Snowflake is certainly worth a try. If I were you, I'd plant it in a sheltered area - like next to your house.

Debra

• sann777
    10 years ago

Georgia has had a lot of rain and thunderstorms. I need some sunshine. I love that picture of Last Snowflake. I love Indy Fling and W, Little Lamb. Your seedling is looking great also.
    Sarah

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Weeding is so much easier after the rain (not so much during ;)), I could pull dandelions by hand!
    I don't see Snowflake readily available and it's probably still not affordable for me, but thanks for the tip, I'll make a note in my wishlist :)

• Nancy
    10 years ago

You still got lots of lovely pictures. Your patterned daylilies look really nice. I really like Indy Fling & WESTBOURNE LITTLE LAMB today. Well, after looking back, I like Cary Grant too. You know how I am :) your seedling looks great too, nice that it is holding its color so well. We've been getting that same rain, & I'm ready to get outside. It stopped just long enough this morning for me to pick berries & overgrown cucumbers.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sarah - I know you're getting tired of all the rain in Georgia too. Thanks for the comments!

Nat - It is so much easier to weed after a rain. I wish it would just stop raining long enough for me to do some weeding. I've seen Last Snowflake offered several time this year on the Lily Auction, so you might check there for it every once in awhile.

Nancy - I'm glad you had a break in the rain long enough to get something accomplished. Every time I would go outside, there would come the rain again. I thought Indy Fling looked really nice today. That's the most ruffled I can remember seeing it.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Pretty daylilies in the rain. INDY FLING is my favorite.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

Those big eyes get me every time so my favorite today is Westbourne Little Lamb. Carey Grant is also a beauty and the color of your seedling is lovely and it's great that it stands up to the rain.
    Val

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

rain or not,I Love that last one, its a beauty. and WOODSMAN is a beauty, too. ;pve it, and teddybears Picnic is still gorgeous. sure wish you would send some of that rain here,so I could get a break from the watering.i may wish I had kept my mouth shut if it starts raining evey day here, but right now, we need some.

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Debra: Be grateful for the rain even if it delays crosses. I haven't had to water either this year as we've had plenty of rain.
    Very humid here making us feel on most days like we are in the upper 90's and I decided not to live head last night. I think I'll have to invest in one of the mini fans that you can hold in your hand and runs on batteries LOL.

Julia

• houstmag
    10 years ago

I also have been getting a lot of rain which is good and bad, the daylilies love it but a day or two to dry out a little between storms would be nice. Awesome daylilies by the way no clear cut favorites for me I love them all.
    Linda

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita - Indy Fling has a very unusual color combo for edge no eye daylilies, and the ruffles just make it better.

Julia - This rain doesn't just delay crosses, it negates them. Some of the earlies I most wanted to cross with later bloomers have had their last blooms these last three days. So no crosses will take place this year. I shouldn't really complain because I've got more seeds than I could ever plant in one lifetime. I'm just seed greedy, I guess.

Jean and Nat - I sure wish I could send some of this rain your way. We're having some serious flash flooding in this region.

Debra