Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Saturday's bewitching blooms

shive
9 years ago

FOREVER REDEEMED - This is the ffo on a new plant. I'd tried to get this one for several years without any luck. One year I thought I had it, only to have something entirely different bloom. For three years I tried to order it from some of my favorite sellers, only to have them all tell me they were sold out. Finally I got it on the Lily Auction this spring. The first bloom looks pretty good - more orangey than I expected, but a pretty color anyway.

QUEEN OF NARNIA has put on a good show this season. It has an instant rebloom scape this time. Others with instant rebloom scapes are Edge of Your Seat (4), Ruby Lipstick (2), Jitterbug Blues (1), and Colorado Moon Fire (1). This photo shows the difference in color between the two blooms. One is backlit by the early morning sun, and the other is in complete shade.

ALLEGHENY SKYLINE had two nice, large blooms open pretty early despite the overnight low of 58 degrees.

The EL DESPERADO show has begun.

SANGRIA WITH MIA

MAGIC AMETHYST is a great early morning opener that didn't mind those low temps at all. This one always looks more lavender when it's cool.

BUTTERED POPCORN can always be relied on to make a good clump show.

TEXAS BLUE EYES was looking good at 7 a.m.

So was PURIFY MY HEART

I'll close with today's shot of Shores of Time X Rosy Rhino, open flat by 9 a.m.

Debra

Comments (18)

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

They are all soooo pretty. My favorites are Purify My Heart, and your seedling. I would add PMH to my garden in heartbeat if I knew it would look that white here. A lot of times I will add a lily to the garden that is pictured by the hybridizer as white and pink, or white with a blue eye, and the white ends up looking flesh colored or an ugly off shade of yellow.

Linda

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Hey, Debra, finally got time to do a post and now I can enjoy yours. I think they are all terrific, but I am especially taken with Allegheny Skyline. Avedon

• jkayd_il5
    9 years ago

They are all nice. Can't pick a favorite. You have beautiful daylilies.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda - I really think Purify My Heart would look white and pink in your climate. Rita said the petal color was white for her in New York. I do not see any cream, yellow, or pink undertones in it like I do in Ruby Lipstick and Bullfrog Kisses. The problem is in acquiring it. It's a slow multiplier, and Korth hardly ever has it available.

Debra

• jeanerz13
    9 years ago

I've always liked el desperado. I wanted it when I was starting my flower bed, but it wasn't available in the local nurseries and I didn't want to mail order.

• jeanerz13
    9 years ago

I've always liked el desperado. I wanted it when I was starting my flower bed, but it wasn't available in the local nurseries and I didn't want to mail order.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

What a great picture of El Desparado. It's my number one pick here, although Purify My Heart is another beauty......Maryl

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Beautiful group today! Forever Redeemed is one of my favorites, I like when it recurves. Looks red on my screen.
    I always love ruffly white ones (well, light) so Queen of Narnia is my favorite today along with Purify My Heart, very pretty. And as usual love your SOT seedling.

• statmam
    9 years ago

El Desperado really comes into its own when it hits clump strength. Purify My Heart is melting mine.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Great group Debra.Your right about FOREVER REDEEMED as most of the folks who post pics of it love it. Your seedling which is now a registered cultivar is beautiful. Best of luck with Sangria With Mia.

Julia

• deangreen
    9 years ago

what nice marking on the skyline and sangria photos. a very nice variety of colors over all. :)

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

They are all soooo pretty. My favorites are Purify My Heart, and your seedling. I would add PMH to my garden in heartbeat if I knew it would look that white here. A lot of times I will add a lily to the garden that is pictured by the hybridizer as white and pink, or white with a blue eye, and the white ends up looking flesh colored or an ugly off shade of yellow.

Linda

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

I had a bloom on Allegheny Skyline today too. Since it is new, I can't really evaluate it. The color is different, not as saturated as yours, but first blooms can be off. Purify My Heart is nice, but really overpriced. Unfortunately, growers still snatch up all the southern evergreens hoping to get fast multiplication and big bucks. After last winter, that strategy may backfire.

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

another bumch of beauties, today,my favorites of these today is ALLEGHENY SKYLINE and EL DESPERADO. its always a beauty.
    jean

• Nancy
    9 years ago

They are all so pretty, ALLEGHENY SKYLINE has such lovely color, & your seedling is beautiful

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

You have some real beauties here, Debra. I love Queen of Narnia, and Allegheny Skyline is a real beauty. El Desperado is a great plant. Texas Blue Eyes is lovely, and your seedling is so pretty. Love that color.
    kay

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Allegheny Skyline looks spectacular, and the color of your seedling is outstanding. Forever Redeemed took a year off from blooming last year and really needs to be moved, but I really like that daylily. I bought Susquehana Storm Front instead of Purify My Heart. The plant just bloomed and it's definitely not SSF. I should have stuck with my original quest to find Purify My Heart.

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Queen of Narnia is so beautiful but I'm a sucker for whites. Buttered Popcorn is popping away. Mine will start popping soon too. Always a winner.