Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lemonthyme5

New to forum and growing daylilies

lemonthyme5
9 years ago

Hi! I'm new to this site and just signed up this morning. I didn't know what I have been missing!! I have always grown perennials and have a rather hefty hosta bed; but because I'm running out of shade, I'm trying to get in to raising more daylilies.

I noticed an exchange site on here. I may try to exchange some of my hostas next spring for daylilies.

Do any of you have favorite daylily suppliers, or a hybridizer you follow? I'm in zone 5, so I want plants that will hold up to our harsh winters. Thanks for your help!

Comments (6)

• polymerous
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum, and to the world of daylilies!

Curt Hanson (crintonic.com), RIchard Norris (ashwooddaylilies.com), and Karol Emmerich (springwoodgardens.com) are three names that I can think of, for hybridizers that work in cold zone areas. Most or all of their plants should be hardy to your zone. You can look at their websites, or you might be able to find their plants (some no longer sold on the websites, others at cheaper prices) on the Lily Auction (http://www.daylily.com/cgi-bin/auction.cgi).

(You want to be really careful about going to the LA, though - it can be addictive and before you know it, you have tubs and tubs and tubs full of soaking bareroot daylilies!)

You can also search out any daylily that has won the Lenington All American award, as they have proven performance across the nation. Some dormant daylilies that have won this award include 'Red Volunteer' and 'Mary's Gold'. If you can't find them on the Lily Auction, you can just Google them and find a seller online.

You might also try some of Judi Davisson's daylilies, at least some of which are dormants or semi-evergreens and are cold winter tolerant. (Hopefully someone here with more experience can chime in on that.)

Finally, I am going to put in a plug for one of my favorite daylilies (a Hite-Davisson introduction), 'Osterized'. It has been grown in both Maine and Michigan, so it should do okay for you.

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

Welcome to the forum. Daylilies are great even if the bloom lasts one day, the next day another bud or two or three will open and will continue the show for several weeks. Good to think in terms of daylilies that start early, then mid and then late so you have a season of blooms to mix in with your other perennials.
    Julia

• njmomma
    9 years ago

Welcome! I just received my order from Saksa Farms and they were huge fans and very generous with extra fans.
    Also Oakes Daylilies have a great reputation. Not a huge variety I
    But I managed to find a bunch.
    I have extra Elegant Candy if you want. Watch the forum next month once things have stopped blooming ppl may offer you some.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Blueridge and Slightly Different Nursery (Paul Owens)you might look at. And welcome to the forum. You are in for a lot of fun.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Just remember that almost everyone on this forum is seriously addicted. Some are in denial, while others revel in their depravity. As with most addicts, one becomes a pusher also, either to validate one's lifestyle or to earn extra money to pay for one's habit.

• lemonthyme5
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions. I've purchased from a couple local hybridizers (5 Acre Daylily Farm and Natures Edge). I'm one of those that likes to learn something new, so I've viewed some of the online instructions about daylily crossing. We'll see what I might come up with. I look forward to your help. (and yes, I believe I understand the addiction part! lol)