Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Sunday Part Two of Three - Multiples

newyorkrita
12 years ago

Raining today but got afew pictures.

I will start with this garden shot of the daylily slope in bloom taken later yesterday afternoon.

Arrikis Sunset by Phil Korth.

Fear Not

Genuine Lady a Bryan Culver intro.

Spirit Zone also a Bryant Culver intro.

Tiramasue by Melanie Mason

Lilyville

Silk Road Lilies

Silk Road Closeup

Comments (24)

• shive
    12 years ago

Fear Not and the garden shot are my faves.

• avedon_gw
    12 years ago

Beauties again, but that is par for the course for you. Very much enjoy the garden shots, too. Avedon

• crackingtheconcrete
    12 years ago

So amazing, Rita! I have Silk Road open today as well, but mine stay a bit more trumpety- it was cool to see yours opening and showing their color more.

• houstmag
    12 years ago

Rita- You are such an enabler I see your beautiful gardens and DL's and I just have to add one more or two or three you know what I mean. I keep telling myself no more but that doesn't seem to work. I keep saying no more room but I do have 5 acres I really should say not enough time to keep big gardens up instead of no room. I also have a well so I have to watch my watering somewhat it still is not easy to say no though.
    Linda

• bigack
    12 years ago

Fear Not is wonderful, as are your garden shots!

• nat4b
    12 years ago

Love Fear Not and the clump pic of Arrikis Sunset.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

cracking- I got Silk Road afew years ago and this is their third summer. I had to get it after seeing pictures and reading how great it is from others that grew it. It is big and tall and smells great. Really gets your attention. It in full sun so maybe that is why it opens more than yours. Only the second and third lily pictures are Silk Road. The ones in the Lilyville shot are something else that is a similiar look.

Linda- Now think really hard on were you can put in a small new daylily bed that will be easy to water. You know you want to get some more daylilies :-)

• njmomma
    12 years ago

Arrikis Sunset and Fear Not are gorgeous!

• caliloo
    12 years ago

They are all so beautiful!

Alexa

• mlwgardener
    12 years ago

Your Lilies are soooo beautiful. I've been wanting to get some more. I have a white one and (oh heck, ilm having a brain freeze) Ok thanks, Stargazer, that I just love. I've been wanting some of the Oreinpets, do you like them??

Thanks for all the pictures, Mona

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again.

Mona - When I started with lilies for years I only had Asiatics. Then I got orientals and finially I got into some of the fancy trumpets and Oreinpets. I love them all as I just love lilies. But you can't go wrong with Silk Road. Be warned though, it gets BIG.

I also like the trumpets as they just have the most wonderful scents.

• katlynn719
    12 years ago

All lovely, Rita...but your garden slope is my favorite.
    Kathy

• Nancy
    12 years ago

Love Spirit Zone & Fear Not. Silk Road lily is beautiful. I have that one, but I don't think mine opens as much as yours either. It is in full sun, but just got it last fall.

• mlwgardener
    12 years ago

Can you recommend a good place online to purchase lilies??Thanks, Mona

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Kathy and Nancy. That slope is so much better covered in daylilies than it was when it was just grass. Too steep to mow, it always had to be done with the weedwacker. Like it now much better!

Mona if you want fancy lilies try here. I got my Silk Road there.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Lily Garden

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

FEAR NOT is a real beauty.

Rita, when I see shots of your beds (wonderful), I wonder how close you plant your daylilies. Do you think that when you provide them with everything they need (sun, food, water) that you can space more closely. Also, how do you decide which daylily goes in which bed and which ones to put next to each other? Do you move them around a lot? How often do you divide? Hmmm, I think this is too many questions, especially since your gardens are in full throttle and no doubt you are very, very busy. But if you have some time, I would be interested to know more about your methods.

Christine

• mlwgardener
    12 years ago

OH WHAT A WONDERFUL SITE!!!! I just spent the last 30 minutes looking at the most beautiful lilies that I've ever seen. I know that this is a daylily forum, but folks the link to the lily site is well worth your time. WOW! Now, I will have 2 addictions.

I know why you love them now. Do you post more lily pictures on the "Lily Forum"?? I'm in love again! Thanks Rita, this is just what I needed.

Blessings to all, Mona

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mona- Glad you liked the lilies there. They send excellent bulbs. I have bought many lilies from them.

The lily forum here is so slow, hardly any traffic. Not like the daylily forum here. But I do have a thread there from last week of lilies in my garden if you want to go look.

Christine- I have no real method for what goes next to each other. I just try not to put two of the same color or tall ones in the front. Sometimes after they bloom I can see that I goofed and switch them around. I am big on moving things around until I get them to please me.

I fertilize my daylilies each spring with a bagged fertilizer and after bloom season with a big dose of Neptune Liquid Seaweed Fertiliser. I spray for thrips if needed.

They are planted closely together just like everything else in my garden. I tend to have a lot squeezed in here in the space I have. I would rather have to divide more often and have more daylilies than to have less spaced out more.

I think some might need dividing this year, maybe not.

• organic_kitten
    12 years ago

So many lovelies, but I think Arakis sunset is my pick of them, but I love Genuline Lady too.
    kay

• jean_ar
    12 years ago

So Beautiful, Rita. I love that FEAR NOT and also TIRAMASUE. Love the Reds, Your lily photos are really pretty, too, love them all,I REALLY liked that SILK ROAD lILY.Gorgeous. You said it grows Big, How big we talking about? TALL? or WIDE? or BOTH?
    Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jean- Silk Road must grow 7 feet. Maybe more. Mine is about 6 feet and this is only the third summer. Then it multiplies by making new bulbs and the clump gets wider.

Kay - You picked both northern hybridizers. Korth for Arrakis Sunset and Culver for Genuine Lady. Genuine Lady was a nice shade of pink last year but is much darker this year.

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

Thanks, Rita.

Christine

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot to add about dividing the daylilies. If you look at that first picture of the slope it is one of my big projects.

I moved so many of my daylilies, that is how I made that slope. I took clumps from the plateau in the back and planted them there on the slope. I couldn't buy new daylilies which come in the usual two fans or so as I had the have ones that were already in clumps. That slope is too steep to do any other way. I couldn't put them further away and wait for it too fill in as the soil would have washed away. Then I just mulched with straw in between which I remulch each spring and fall. Works great. And I love the way it looked. The next spring after the first planting I did the last (most bottom) row.

Then after moveing them to the slope, I replanted the plateau which was empty with daylilies that I moved from here and there in the garden that were not clumped up enough for the slope but of course fine on level ground. It was all so much work I was exhausted by the end of summer. But it ended up great!

• Waitforspring
    12 years ago

Great pictures as always. My favorites are Fear Not and Tiramisou.
    Val

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms