Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

The Heat is On and the Daylilies are Bright

shive
10 years ago

The humidity is killing me, but most of the flowers seem to like it.

The Eyes Bed - Ruby Lipstick, Autumn Jewels and Rosy Rhino

MEET JOE BLACK reblooming in a another part of the Eyes Bed

BEN'S ZINGER, a bonus I got with a Gossard near white from the Lily Auction

BLUE CORN MOON

PATSY CLINE

ROYAL BRAID - This was one of the first large daylilies I purchased back the in 90s.

CRIMSON EDGINGS

MISSISSIPPI MAGISTRATE

CAREFREE SUNSET

BLAZING SADDLE - It's last day for blooms

Debra

Comments (21)

• Edward_Kimball
    10 years ago

The heat and humidity broke here yesterday we are now at 62 degrees.

Your pictures are awesome as usual. My favourite is the group shot.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

PATSY CLINE is a stunner and my favorite but I just love that first photo. Lovely combo.

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Edward - 62 degrees sounds heavenly!

Rita - Thanks for your comments. I do love PATSY!

Debra

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

I like your Eye Bed, all of hem are lovely. Love the clump shot of Royal Braid. Marg

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Great grouping in the first picture! All daylilies are beautiful today and I like all of them especially Blazing Saddles and Magistrate, but there's that one exceptional beauty, and it's Crimson Edgings. Just love this picture of its beautiful bloom with a blurry background.

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Crimson Edgings is my pick, but I love the form and brightness of Patsy Cline. The group shot of your eyed daylilies is very striking.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

62 degrees! Maybe in November.

The Eyes bed is magnificent! Blue corn Moon is full of color. Royal Braid is so pretty, and Blazing Saddles is a lovely bloom. Hate to see it end.
    kay

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Gorgeous! I want 'em all!

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat and Chris - Crimson Edgings had its brightest colored and widest edge today. It was also a bit rounder today.

Kay - Blazing Saddles may rebloom. It has a few times in the past.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

I agree, all gorgeous but the first photo really shows the variety of colors. With the heat you must be experiencing the daylilies probably don't mind a bit of shade.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The heat index is 104 this afternoon. Even those in the afternoon shade are melting because of the humidity.

Debra

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

Wonderful pictures, as always, Debra!

I have to say that Ben's Zinger is a sentimental favorite here in Reg. 3. I believe Mr. Benzinger has now passed on (he of Buttered Popcorn fame, among others). The Banges are a wonderful couple here, stalwarts of NCDC, and have a super national-tour-worthy garden as well.

That said, I enjoyed The Eyes Bed one as it is so interesting to see various daylilies growing with each other. Blue Corn Moon and Carefree Sunset are looking might fine.

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Of this group, Carefree Sunset seems to grow well here, along with, of course, Ruby Lipstick and Meet Joe Black. I like the pic of the oldie, Royal Braid. Autumn Jewels, unfortunately, has done nothing here.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, so many beauties today. hard to pick just one for a favorite. love BEN'S ZINGER,, the almost white. and that first photo of the bed shot is gorgeous..I had rROYAL BRAID for a little while, never got to see a bloom on it. it never made it through its first winter here.BLUE CORN MOON is a beauty, too. love them lavenders too. But my favorite bloom is CRIMSON EDGINGS . that's a real beauty.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

GG - How nice to see you posting again! So far, I've been impressed by Mr. Benzinger's white. Bange did a good think by registering it.

Mantis - I've heard from others that Autumn Jewels does not perform well for them. It certainly does not have the branching or bud counts of El Desperado or Desperado Love, both of which are growing in the Eyes bed, but it displays a respectible 13-18 buds per scape here. I'm glad to hear Carefree Sunset and Ruby Lipstick do well for you.

Jean - I didn't know if I would keep Ben's Zinger or not. But after seeing the first four blooms, it's definitely staying. It's probably going in the blue and white bed expansion.

Debra

• deangreen
    10 years ago

that first photo is just wonderful!!

• FarawayFarmer
    10 years ago

Meet Joe Black is a standout and a favorite.
    Here in central Fla mine began to bloom in early April.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Fabulous photos, Debra. My favorite must be the group shot, but all the rest are great. I must give a nod to Crimson Edgings, Blue Corn Moon, Blazing Saddles and the clump of Royal Braid. Avedon

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Faraway - Does Meet Joe Black rebloom a lot for you there in Florida? It is one of my most dependable rebloomers.

Thanks Avedon!

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

I must be in a pink mood as of late because all the pinks are catching my eye. Carefree Sunset is a pretty one, and my favorite of this group, although Crimson Edging even though not pink is crying out for my attention too.........Maryl

• houstmag
    10 years ago

Love that first photo it really grabs my attention out of a really awesome group of blooms.
    Linda