Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

What to plant behind these Stellas?

stir_fryi SE Mich
10 years ago

We had a tree removed from this area last fall. I have planted two knockout roses in front of the window and am expecting them to get quite large.

To the left of these and adjacent to the walkway, I planted two stellas. They are still kind of small (only about 6 weeks); I am not a fan of them clumped together so I spaced them.

There is a good 3 feet between them and the rose so I'd like to plant something (probably 3 of something) behind the stellas.

My thoughts were another kind of daylilly that is slightly taller (I am getting tire of yellow blooms). Maybe Rosie Returns or Purple D Oro?

I am open to non-daylilly ideas too.

My only problem now is it is almost August and the perennial sections at my stores are getting kind of bare.

I saw some purple d oros the other day but they were quite small, many one or two fans.

Would love to hear suggestions.

Comments (6)

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Oh Stir Fry! You have nice open space to plant some real beauties. The Rosy and Purple rebloomers are nice, but you can opt for something less common for some real WOW!

There are so many growers of daylilies who would welcome your "project" and give you some great ideas.

By way of another suggestion, I would ask them to send you a minimum of three double fans of each variety you select. That way you will have "clumps" much sooner. Plant them in a triangle giving adequate space for their roots which can be just touching, but not cramped.

Where you want spacing is between your clumps, and you have that available. Your Stellas will be small even when mature, so you might want to consider moving them to the front edge with taller varieties behind them.

Tell us some more about sunlight/shade conditions. Which way does the bed face?

• monarda_gw
    10 years ago

Graham Stuart Thomas always recommended that plants with very good foliage be planted behind daylilies, since foliage is often their weak point. He liked grasses, but there must be others that would work as well. I think veronicas and echinaceas look nice, though admittedly, I am thinking about the flowers of these, not the foliage.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.
    They are actually quite close to the edge (the walkway) -- the picture is distorted because I was bent down.

They get full morning sun until about 2:00pm.

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Monarda's suggestion with Echinacea is a good one. I've also combined some of the fuzzy leaved new Rudebekias, I think they are called Cherokee Sunset. They are amazing.

• stir_fryi SE Mich
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How close to the daylilies would I put the coneflower?

• judyannz7
    10 years ago

Stir Fry, that really depends on the look you want. Noticed that you use part of the area to store the garden hose neatly. So that indicates that you need a path into the garden to get to the hose and to lead it out. Echinacea is taller and more narrow than daylilies until after the first cutting of blooms. The finishing blooms sit shorter and then the plants begin to lean out. Mine are between tetraploid clumps which are generally larger than diploids, and considerably larger than Stella. The clumps are 3 and 4' apart, with Echinacea and other perinneals staggered between them. Mine gets morning dappled shade, noon and early afternoon sun, with deep afternoon shade. So we have slightly different growing conditions. Hope that helps.

There's as many ideas as there are flowers! Just depends on what you like.