Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lalalandwi

Remember me? LOL!

lalalandwi
10 years ago

I see so many of you are still regular posters here :) I've been away for a long, long time so not sure you will, but I remember you guys :) I am starting to get excited about my daylilys again. In case you don't remember the scenario, I lived in WI when I posted here a lot & moved to FL. I gave it almost 4 yrs & hate it down here. I hate my daylilys down here, thus the lack of posting & enthusiasm. Yes, I still have them, the ones that survived. I am moving back to WI & getting super excited! This rust is a NIGHTMARE! And what has really put me off. I promise I will never have zone envy again. I don't know how people deal with this? HUGELY EXPENSIVE, DANGEROUS & HORRIBLE for the environment. Needless to say I stopped spraying long ago.

Point being, all you hybridizers best be practicing for rust resistance! It isn't going away & quit masking it with spraying! The part that is horrible about this is that northern hybridizers have no idea what is resistant & what is not because it's being covered up! The northern mecca needs to unite with the south so we can fight this battle together! Let us please do it the natural way & get back to the old good fashion ways of what gardening is founded upon. Quit lining the pockets of these chemical suppliers & ruining your health as well as the environment. I will still buy from the south, but not from someone that sprays. Unfortunately, they all do which leaves it a mystery as to what is resistant. Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better now, LOL!

As I'm packing them up for the move, I'm finding some very interesting scenarios on what made it & what didn't. I will tell you if it's still alive it is a rock star. I can't wait to share these rock stars with you. It will be some time before I can do that though as the move is happening soon & have to get settled in. Aka also planting these. My friend up there won't let me put them in his garden because of the rust. Lucky I have family with garden space that aren't into dls like my friend. Which brings up the issue of the stigma that goes with rust. I am bringing back all rust resistant cultivars & he still won't let me do it.

I really look forward to participating here again. I miss getting excited about my dls & my soul is starting to smile again :)

Comments (4)

• shive
    10 years ago

Lala - I wondered what had happened to you after your move to sunny Florida. Welcome back! You made a lot of good points about rust in your post.

Debra

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yeah! Hi Debra! Fantastic pictures as usual :) Willow Dean Smith is the BOMB! Not sure if you remember I always wanted that plant!

I want to hybridize for a plant that is universal & rock star no matter where it grows, not just a pretty face, although that is hugely important as well. Plant habit has always been hugely important to me & after living down here I've been educated just that much more. You would be surprised how many northern plants are rust resistant & can live in this zone although they are dormant & what not! A lot of northerners buy plants from down here for hybridizing & that is where the problem lies. How does anyone really know when you are masking it? I don't blame the southern mecca for what they are doing, they are only doing this because of the stigma that goes with rust :( I sold on the LA to purge before moving down here & it was still a question up there as to whether I had acquired new plants. It got 10x worse when I moved here as I grow them all in containers & need to purge faster, LOL! Let us save ourselves & the environment. Let's teach rust who's boss, yes?

Crazy is most of my cultivars are new intros so what does that say as to what is truly going on :( I can't wait to get home & update my spreadsheet! I will have a lot more info when I do.

Oh, 1 more thing I want to share quickly. There was question as to whether or not opening had to do with weather & heat when I was posting back then. NOPE!! It's genetics! I had a very poor opener living in WI & it's still just as crappy down here. I even visited the hybridizer's garden & witness a whole clump stuck not being able to open, LOL! I wish I would have had the nerve to ask why it was ever introduced, LOL! What an education this has been!

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Ha!!! I remember you well. Welcome back and stick around this time!

• lalalandwi
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Rita!!!!!!! I'm sorry I got so bummed out :( It won't happen again! I'm back for good! I am going to disappear for a bit with this transition but once I get settled in, I will be here on a regular basis. I will have lots to share when I get home. I can't begin to tell you how excited I am! I've been living in denial about my dls for too long. ENOUGH, it's over! Did I say how excited I am about moving home? LOL! My dog needs to get out of here too. Poor thing :( Fleas! Microscopic weed needles that get stuck in his poor feet that I need to soak them in epsom salts all the time. Ear infections he never had before we moved here. Um, don't let me get started on the folks that live here too, LOL! Economy?! So many reasons to get the heck out of here. I love it for the weather, but came to the conclusion it is a place to vacation, not to live. Sorry if anyone from FL reads this, it just isn't for me.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida