Return to the Daylily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Counting branching

Posted by flora2b z6a bc (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 12 at 12:32

I'm new enough to this process and wondered how you counted branching on a scape.
When I look at this scape I see 5 branches....does a branch constitute more than one flower on the end?
Thanks,
Flora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Counting branching

Most hybridizers will not count a branch officially unless it has more than one bud. If you lowest branch had more than one flower, I would say it was 5-way branching. Keep in mind though that tight top branching is not a good trait because multiple flowers will not be able to open well.

Debra

o

Thanks Debra,
That makes total sense, especially when we are trying for large flowers.
So, when the breeder states good branching is it more likely the spacing or amount of branches they are talking about?

o

Flora -I think "good branching" indicates a daylily with several side branches that are well spaced on the scape. I have a seedling that I am evaluating that is mainly top branched with a high number of buds. The first year I didn't see any problems. But this year when two to three flowers were opening at a time, not all of them had the space to fully open properly. So I now look at that seedling as a bridge plant rather than an intro, even though everyone who sees the bloom raves about it.

Debra

o

When a breeder states "good branching," my impression is that they are trying to sell you a plant.

;)

Nate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Daylily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here