Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nat4b

Daylilies 'no show' this season, and

nat4b
11 years ago

do you have any DLs that never bloomed for you? :) Since you got them, and not last year?

My non-bloomers

1. Moon Over Monteray

2. Saint Fiacre (though I am not 100% positive it is the right name)

3. Xia Xiang

The rest that did not bloom or only have one tiny distorted flower (like Chicago Apache, Custard and Strawberry Candies and about 10 more) all had scapes but either got sick or a tree fell on them and so on, so I don't consider them no-shows.

And Xia Xiang is the one that never bloomed :D I got it in the spring of 2010, just thought that the name sounded unusual (I don't know how to say it) and it would be good for the front since it's short.

Please post (or complain about ;)) yours!

Comments (12)

• JJOF
    11 years ago

My non-bloomers:

Laura Harwood
    Banned In Boston
    Ruby Spider
    Lake Norman Spider
    Fairy Tale Pink
    Etched Eyes
    Charles Johnston
    Cosmopolitan
    Destined To See
    First Knight
    Indian Paintbrush
    Inwood
    Irresistible Charm
    Jolyene Nichole
    Light Years Away
    Nordic Night
    Startle
    Siloam Ribbon Candy

Better luck next year I guess!

Jason

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Dizzy Miss Lizzy
    All About Eve
    Apache Sunrise
    Autumn Jewels
    Betty Woods
    Somewhat Beautiful
    Witches Stick
    I always had trouble with Xia Xiang. I no longer have that one. Really, that not to bad when you consider that I had around 750. I'm down minus 79 so far and more is to go! Ellie

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Walter Kennedy (not it's fault, moved it at a bad time)

One of my Ledgewoods (can't remember...a new one, not Firecracker or Pansy Eye or Jumpstart)

Wheel of Time

Kay

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Red Sapphire (two years of no bloom)

Those listed below were either planted last fall (*), or they managed to survive the bad drought last year.

Most of these have dramatically improved in growth since we've had rain, some trees removed or trimmed, and a new wrought iron fence to replace the board fence. They are improving noticeably with a lot more sun, especially early morning sun.

British Redcoat*
    Benchmark
    Let The Games Begin
    Burning Angel*
    Cerise Masterpiece*
    Crowning Light*
    Feathered Angel
    Felecia Grace
    Fires of Fuji*
    Girls Night Out
    Golden Tear Drops*
    Hang Six
    Hank Williams*
    Happy Apache
    Hooked on Edges
    Inherited Wealth
    Marmalade Skies
    Midnight Magic
    Painting the Roses Red*
    Parrot Jungle
    Pirate's Patch
    Plum Foolish
    Puccini
    Pure Indulgence
    Scaramouche*
    Sense of Wonder*
    Shaka Zulu
    Some Sweet Day*
    Song Triumphant
    Street Urchin
    Victorian Lace
    Vintage Bordeaux
    Wild Mustang
    Wishmaster (still has one little fan)
    Portofino* (has dwindled down to one small fan)
    Roses and Gold
    Roses in Snow

Nancy

• shive
    11 years ago

I've had many in the past that did not bloom for two years and then became my best performers. Ruby Lipstick comes to mind, and I know there were others but I can't remember their names. The ones that took three years to bloom were acquired in drought years.

I had a few that did not bloom this year: Tahlequah Flame, Purple Corn Dancer and Belated Greetings, all lates. Two other lates, Ethereal Light and Witch's Stick only had two or three buds. I suspect this was related to the heat wave.

Debra

• floota
    11 years ago

I moved a few around last fall and although the plants looked great, they did not bloom this year. But they've been here a while and will bloom next year.

BTW, I grow the cultivar you mentioend, Xia Xiang. It blooms here but scapes are too short for me. The pronunciation is :

See-ya See -yang, or that's the closest I can spell it phonetically.

• jkayd_il5
    11 years ago

I got Regal Fantasy in 2008 and it bloomed for the first time this year. I like it but sorry I had to wait four years to see it. Was about to give up on it.

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

At last count, I had around 130 that didn't bloom, but that includes ones that sent up scapes where the buds shriveled and fell off. Next year . . .

• flowergirl70ks
    11 years ago

I believe this is the correct pronunciation.
    C-ah C-ang

• weedyseedy
    11 years ago

Lemon Lily sent up scapes and they froze or withered---for the third year---I am about to give up on it-----------Weedy

• ontnative
    11 years ago

I thought I was the only one with daylilies planted for a couple of years that didn't bloom. Probably the drought this summer and not enough sun (especially morning sun.) I guess that is why DLs bloom so well in one person's garden and not in another's. I really need the tough ones.

• polymerous
    11 years ago

I had a lot of no-shows or poor-shows, but I'm not naming names because I really don't think it was the fault of the plant. Also, daylilies here rarely (if ever) seem to match the bud counts that the hybridizers claim.

Those of mine that didn't bloom, did so either thanks to the deer, or due to drought and some degree of neglect. Those are all in the unprotected part of the garden. (If we can just get it deer fenced, I'm sure that will energize me to go take care of them properly.)

In the protected area, I had some daylilies newly planted last year that didn't do so well - they bloomed but with few buds. I think that was maybe due to a combination of too much shade (before they got planted - but even the sunnier parts of that area get a lot of shade) and not enough water.

We are forever fiddling with the irrigation system here. All of the drought tolerant plants are happy, but the daylilies demand more. (Someone took it upon themselves to cut down the water to the raised beds to every other day, as opposed to daily. I didn't discover this until the daylilies started blooming - and the blooms were both smaller than they should be, and did not open well. Everything else in the raised beds, including some roses, seemed perfectly happy.)