Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Garden views with veggies too.

newyorkrita
10 years ago

In the front yard-

And now moving to the backyard-

Here is a project I was working on. Moved out Tall Beared Iris and made this into a veggie area. I planted root veggies here so have seeds comming up. There are still TB iris at the right end.

Looking this way you can see part of the new bed and the cucumber trellis.
{{gwi:91731}}

Cucumbers grow in a sea of daylilies.
{{gwi:91730}}

{{gwi:91732}}

I have cucumbers!

And last is a current shot of the driveway pot getto veggie garden.

Comments (19)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Your veggies are amazing, Rita. What kind of cucumbers are you growing? What root veggies did you plant?

kay

This post was edited by organic_kitten on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 13:23

• mnclerk
    10 years ago

Rita, you've got some kind of green thumb. Everything looks wonderful!

How are the cukes to grow? Pretty easy or are they picky?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I never eat cucumbers except all summer long when I can pick my own. So nice to have fresh ones straight out of the garden. And cucumbers are easy to grow. Make some sort of trellis arrangement to keep them off the ground and save on space. Even really easy to start from seed. And it is actually not too late to start cukes if you hurry and do it now.

This is the first year I am growing eggplants and summer squash. All those are in pots as I had no in ground room left after my 62 tomato plants and 14 pepper plants went in ha-ha.

On the cucumbers I have Burpless, Straight Eight, Suyo Long and Camilla. The root veggies I am growing are Kohlrabi, Rutabaga, Parsnips, Golden Beets. Then I have four different varieties of turnips. So we will see how it all goes.

Eggplant getting a fruit already.

• sann777
    10 years ago

Wow! All of it looks just great. You surely have the touch. Keep us updated on those veggies. Sarah

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Wow that third picture of the backyard, just a sea of green! All looks so lush. Veggies look great.
    How do you grow squash / zucchini in pots? I planted mine in a big pot and it all fell to the sides. Does it need some kind of trellis too like cucumbers?
    62 tomatoes!! Wow :)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sarah, I am really into the Vegges this year.

Nat, it is all so green because we have had lots and lots of rain for months. In fact since early this spring.

This is my first time planting zucchini and summer squash. I didn't really realise just how they grew and that the cenral stem keeps getting longer and of course it lays on the ground. So the stem would grow over the side of the pot and them might break. Once I realised this I used some eggplant and pepper support towers that I bought from Gardeners Supply. Not made for potted squash but I was able to prop up the stem and support it so that it no longer hangs off the side of the pots. Necessity is the mother of invention!

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

A good year for a pot garden, as you don't have to water so much. What do you do with all those cucumbers?

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eat lots of them and give many away to friends and neighbors. Already have people waiting to get cucumbers. And waiting on tomatoes and eggplants and squash. Everyone in my circle of friends waits for fresh veggies from my garden each year.

A favorite lunch of mine is a nice cucumber and tomato salad. Also great are grilled or broiled zucchini or yellow summer squash. Just cut in half lenghwise, sprinkle with a little olive oil and season with garlic powder. Yumm!

• shive
    10 years ago

That cucumber looks yummy, and it looks like you are going to have a lot of them. Do summer squash need a trellis to grow. I just bought a small squash plant, and it looks like it's a vine. Your daylily beds are beginning to shine with color. I can't wait to see them at peak!

Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Winter Squash are vines. Zucchini and most yellow summer squash are not. Mostly bush shape. But could be viney depending on variety . Sorry that I am not more help than that. Squash are a new thing for me to grow. Now cucumbers I have been growing for years.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Don't you just love going out and seeing what is blooming and how far the veggies have gotten.

Julia

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

wow, your veggie pot garden looks really nice and the cucumbers, too. The cukes I been gowing got to be 16inches long. Burpless.I had never seen any get that long before. MY daughter loves them, so I been keeping her supplied and me, too.now I have tomatoes every where,and she don't eat tomatoes,and one of my neighbors don't like them either, so guess my other neighbor will get lots of tomatoes, he says he likes cucumbers too and I told him I have bell peppers too,and he says he eats them too.I planted 5 cucumber plants on the inside of my fence and let them grow up the fence.I spotted some more tiny ones this eveiing while watering.

jean

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Yum.....love those cucumbers, Rita! It's amazing that you can grow veggies right along with all your awesome roses and daylilies.

Rita, you will laugh at my one attempt at growing cucumbers. I had this huge veggie garden (once upon a time) which was, according to my DH, about half the size of a football field. (He surely exaggerated, though.) So cucumbers were included. Trying to be a good plant mommy, I fertilized them well with organic manure. Well, I got lots of nice cucumbers, but it seems I really goofed. They were all bitter and inedible. So, I learned the hard way to leave them alone and let nature take its course. End of story!

Nancy

• houstmag
    10 years ago

All your neighbors must love living next to you not only do you have beautiful gardens for them to look at but you also have fresh from the garden veggies for them. How lucky is that.
    Linda

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

RITAjean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for the nice comments.

Jean, I just buy different brands of potting mix so have not just one brand. But I always get the potting mix as it is lighter, never the potting soil. I also feed this potted veggies with a liquid fertilizer.

• Nancy
    10 years ago

Everything is really looking great Rita, your neighbors should be delighted, I think you are going to have a big crop this year :) I've just been getting some cucumbers the last week or so, & just today got my first zucchini. Rained all day yesterday so I couldn't get to the garden, most of my cukes are larger than I really like & my zuke was just shy of baseball bat size. They are so sneaky, I KNOW it was tiny on Wed.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I had cucumbers to harvest yesterday and today. The first of the season. Been getting afew cherry tomatoes off and on but the regular size tomatoes are all still very green. Been eating zucchini. And my eggplants have started to set fruit. I have peppers on my pepper plants but no beans yet on my bean plants. All in all it looks like it will be a very great year for veggies.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

how fun to see the after pic of all those pots with things growing in them, nice work!