Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

July's blooms brightly bursting

shive
9 years ago

I'm wondering how these will look in the evening after a high of 96 and thunderstorms? I certainly enjoyed them early today while watering.

SOT X RR seedling was looking a dark neon rose pink today. The color really carries, and stands out in the seedling bed.

Comments (17)

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

WILLOW DEAN SMITH was putting a pretty show in a shady part of the garden.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BOHEMIA AFTER DARK in front of IDA's MAGIC

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ORANGE JADE in the hot colors bed

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ENGLISH LAVENDER is just limping along this season after being a terrific performer last year.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Bad news on English Lavender. Nowadays, one has to choose Stamiles carefully. EL and Willow Dean are my faves.

• springroz
    9 years ago

That seedling is probably the prettiest I have seen!!! They are ALL nice, but I LOVE that rosey color!!

Nancy

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mantis - In addition to the harsh winter, English Lavender also set quite a few seed pods last summer. Those two things, along with the very dry May we had, probably caused the wimpy fans and low bud count. I'm hoping it will bounce back next year.

Thanks Nancy for your nice comments about the seedling!

• Julia WV (6b)
    9 years ago

And how did they look?
    Love the pics Debra. English Lavender I have admired but not sure how it would do here.
    Orange Jade is stunning in color.

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Orange Jade looks awesome and I love your seedling too.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

Orange Jade just jumped off the screen at me. The bouquet of Willow Dean Smith is perfect. And I agree that the color on your seedling is amazing. It's hard to find that saturated color in daylilies currently on the market.

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Your seedling is a beauty, and Orange Jade is gorgeous. English Lavender is quite pretty too.
    kay

• gardenofeden777
    9 years ago

Wow, on that seedling Debra. I'd buy that one in a heartbeat!! Good job! Beautiful, and it's my favorite!

:-)

• Nancy
    9 years ago

That is beautiful color on that seedling, really nice. English Lavender is lovely. I've noticed on some of my daylilies that when a clump does especially well one year, the next year it often does poorly. Last year Clown Parade did beautifully & seemed to bloom forever, this year not nearly so well.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Springroz, twixandud, gardenofeden777 - Thanks for your nice comments about the seedling!

Nancy - A lot of the daylilies that are not performing well were ones that I set pods on last year. So in addition of having lots of buds and reblooming, English Lavender was a successful pod parent last year.

Debra

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago

Gorgeous seedling!!! You have to be happy with that cross, I know I would be if it were mine. :-)

Linda

• gonegardening
    9 years ago

That is a pretty seedling! Willow Dean Smith looks lovely...all those blooms!

Sorry about English Lavender....I hope it recovers. The name would get me...I would expect it to be fragrant (is it?)...which would be a great bonus.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Linda - I certainly was very happy with that cross. It gave me exactly the flower I had in mind. Now if it can just improve bud count, I'll have something.

Katie - Unfortunately English Lavender is not fragrant. But it is a marvelous color, and I love the watermark and edge.

Debra