Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Steamey Wednesday

newyorkrita
10 years ago

I am so ready for a break in this heat. Too hot lately. Too hot and too humid. Oh well, daylilies continue to bloom.

Barney

Willow Dean Smith

Westbourne Red Seedling

Grants Play

Hearts OF Fire

Maylasian Marketplace

Hey, I have baby melons. Lots of very small ones but this one is biggest so far.

I am growing eggplants this year including this white eggplant variety.
{{gwi:68746}}

And the backyard cucumbers are growing like gangbusters.

Comments (12)

• shive
    10 years ago

Way too many pretty daylilies to pick a favorite today. From the vegetables, my favorite is the white eggplant. Very unique!

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

I must get Barney. I always love your photos of it.

The veggies are looking great. We've had so much rain I think some of my plants are out there swimming right now -- and not producing anything.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Barney looks great, and it's my favorite. I also like Willow Dean Smith and all the reds!
    Veggies look nice. I've never seen a white eggplant. Looks like it has pretty flowers too. My zucchini plant produces a lot of flowers but they all fall off.

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

The veggies all look magnificent, Rita. I made pickles last night thanks to my neighbor. Mine aren't that far along. I love all of the reds and the brights. I can't decide between Hearts of fire and Barney. All look beautiful.
    kay

• Edward_Kimball
    10 years ago

Barney is excellent today!!

• Nancy Barginear
    10 years ago

Wahhh! I need BARNEY too, but alas, it's dormant. Yours is fabulous, Rita! So are your veggies.

Nancy

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

I like those baby melons. I don't see any holes in the eggplant or cucumber leaves. Hearts of Fire here, while a bright red, is not one of my larger reds.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

Love them reds. and BARNEY is gorgeous as well as HEARTS OFand FIRE. I just love both of them.and GRANTS PLAY, too. WILLOW DEAN SMITH is gorgeous, too.Your veggies are sure looking good. and the MELON, is that a WATERMELLON? I have never raised any melons, guess becaiuse I really don't eat them,hardly ever.Have never heard of a WHITE EGGPLNT either, but I have raised them before, the purple ones.I think it was called Black Beauty, not sure,Them cucumbers are really looking good.I have about 10 or 12 hanging on my fence right now.I planted 5 plants in side the fence behind the dayliliesHows your tomatoes doing?

jean

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

All beautiful Rita. Barney really stands out today.

My brother-in-law told me to use a coffee can or something like that to elevate melons off the soil surface so they will ripen better. It worked for me when I did cantaloupe.

Julia

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Playing catch up, or trying to. Love Barney, W Smith, and all the reds, just beautiful. You make me hungry with all those veggie pictures--LOL!!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you everyone!

I didn't know there was any such thing as white eggplant until this spring when I decided I was going to grow eggplant.

Mantis, why should there be holes in my eggplant or cucumber leaves?

Julia, that is why I grow cantalopes up, so that the fruits stay off the ground.

Jean, they are cantalopes. Tomatoes doing great but still waiting for red ones. The cherry and grape types have ripe fruits already but not the others.

I eat lots of fresh from the garden veggies all summer long. Go out and pick and eat!

• deangreen
    10 years ago

I like all those reds!!! big and bright! but I really like the marketplace one, nice colors. :)