Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Thursday Bloomers

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Rained some early this morning but the sun soon came out.

SUGAR PLUM JAM. Last flower and the only picture I have taken of this one this year.

FFO on VT Home Companion.

{{gwi:860403}}

Tree Turtles

SPIRIT ZONE

VT LATE GREEN THROAT has been blooming.

I really like VT LATE GREEN THROAT but I have noticed it is paler this year than normal.

Up Against The Sun

I picked lots of tomatoes off my JULIET tomato plants. These are a larger grape type tomato.

Lots of other tomatoes picked also.

New tomato garden doing great. I have my Sungold, Cherokee Purple and Big Boy tomatoes here.

Old Tomato Garden has my WHOPPERS and EARLY GIRLS.

Comments (16)

• Nancy Barginear
    11 years ago

Rita, the daylilies are nice, but those tomatoes! Wow - how lucky you are to be able to eat home-grown ones. Tell me, do you ever sleep? The work you do in your garden is amazing. How on earth do you keep up with it all? I have one double row of daylilies all spiffed up and immaculate, with only 39 left to go.

Nancy

• dani_plus_2
    11 years ago

I really like that Tree Turtles...might have to think about that one...

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dani, thank you. Tree Turles is a nice one for the late season.

Nancy, Mulch, mulch, mulch. And more mulch. If things were not heavily muched around here then the weeds would take over. With the mulching, I don't get many weeds so less to do. I use fall leaves and straw.

• maximus7116
    11 years ago

Oh, I want to come live with you, Rita. I'll do all the hard work by picking your vegetables for you.

• gardenofeden777
    11 years ago

1st pic is my favorite of these. The combination of the 2 plants is gorgeous. And your tomato plants sure are producing a lot of fruit.

Rena'

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

I just LOve, Love Love that SUGAR PLUM JAM daylily. Its gorgeous.The JULIET tomatoes has a shape I have not seen before for a small tomatoe.they are different looking. now,a question . ARE THE cherokee purple REALLY A PURPLE TOMATOE?yOU CERTAINLY HAVE A WIDE SELECTION of varieties.They are all looking very good, too.I love the looks of that bunch of tomatoes in a pile under the Joliets.That bigest one should be just about right for that tomatoe sandwich.I like tomatoe sandwiches, too.

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, not really purple but not the common red color that one commonly thinks of tomatoes being. Same strange color inside but they sure do taste great. Very complex flavors and an extemely popular Heirloom Tomato variety. I already ate this one pictured ha-ha.

JULIETS are a grape tomato. I guess grape tomatoes get their name because they are shaped like grapes.

Rena, thanks. That is my POW WOW WILD BERRY Coneflower in the backround. Tomatoes are sure doing well for me this year!

Chris, rolling on the floor laughing here. I sure don't mind picking and eating the tomatoes and cucumbers here. But things are going well and I already had lots to share with neighbors and friends.

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

I always enjoy seeing how your tomato plants are doing and they look yummy. Since I haven't planted any veggies this year, I've had to visit the local farm stand. Not the same as growing my own.

SUGAR PLUM JAM would be my favorite. Lovely color. Did it not bloom well this year or just that you didn't bother to take a pic before?

Julia

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Julia, it bloomed fine. Daylily season has been going by much too quickly this year and I just haven't been able to take as many pictures as I did in prior years. I know there are many daylilies here just didn't get their pictures taken this year thru no fault of their own. Been busy and been growing veggies too this year taking up some of my time.

Sometimes you can find a market stand that actually gets tomatoes from local backyard growers. Then that means the tomatoes taste really great!

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Well, you know I am really happy now that you have posted a picture of Sugar Plum Jam, and the Pow Wow Wild Berry coneflower really compliments it--both are beauties, but so are all the rest. I like Vt. Late Green throat a lot, too.
    Those Juliet grape tomatoes are a favorite of mine--have you grown Cherubs, hear they are wonderful. Avedon

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Sugar Plum Jam is a beauty. Your tomatoes look yummy. They have been really good this year, and we have eaten our share, I think.

I remember that you said you don't can, but I have been canning pickles and jams this week. They look so pretty in their nice glass jars. But I rarely can tomatoes...too good to juyst eat, and that one you said you had already eaten was a beauty.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Avedon, I was thinking of you when I took the picture of SUGAR PLUM JAM. I was glad that it had a flower left so that I could get a picture.

JULIET is new for me this year, never grew them before. I can't believe how productive they are, fruit, fruit and more fruit everywhere. What I really, really like about them is that Juliet has a very large fruit for a grape type. These will definately be back next year. Nope, never heard of Cherub tomatoes.

Kay, I don't can and really have no incentive to learn at this stage of my life. I do want to make refridgerator pickles when the Asian Cucumbers start to produce. Sometimes I cook the tomatoes down and freeze the sauce. I have VIVIA ITALIAS planted this year, a Roma paste type so we will see how well I do once they get ripe. So far they are all still green.

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Rita, your tomatoes look so good. I promised myself that I'd grow some next year. This year my new vegetable/seedling bed is full of things that were moved in the yard project.

So nice to see your picture of Sugar Plum Jam. I have that one and love it, but it had its last bloom yesterday and I missed getting a picture this year so you beat me on that.

I also love the look of Tree Turles. Need to add that one. Such a pretty late one.
    Val

• shive
    11 years ago

As others have said, Sugarplum Jam does look great with the coneflower! Seeing all those ripe tomatoes is making me hungry. You are getting a nice harvest.

Debra

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

RITA, Does thaat purple tomatoe taste the same as they big boys or any of the red tomatoes, or is it a sweeter tomatoe? Purple tomatoes does look a little odd, dont it>? a oddity.but, some thing to try out anyway.
    I love seeing the pictures of all your veggies as much as I do the daylilies.I am going to get me some bush cucumber sseeds for next year, after seeing yours.:-)
    jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Val, thanks. Yes be sure and grow at least some tomatoes next year. Nothing like having you own fresh picked!

Debra, this is going to be a great year for tomatoes and cucumbers here. The daylily blooms are flying by so it needs to be a great year for something!

Jean, first off there is a lot of difference in flavor even in the red hybred tomatoes of which BIG BOY is only one of the ones that I am growing. But CHEROKEE PURPLE don't taste anything like those others at all. I don't really know how to describe the tatse except as complex and very good!

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!