Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Magical Monday

maximus7116
10 years ago

Daylilies are popping open all over now. My picks of the day:

CLOWN PARADE: Thanks to all the great photos shown on the forum, I had to add this one. It's taken off like gangbusters since arriving last year.

MICHIGAN MAGIC is doing better this year, but is still only a foot off the ground:

WISPY RAYS screams for attention:

SAFE ISLAND is hitting its stride. Great plant.

CHARMING CHARLIE, one of the first to open each year:

Hanson's CHILLED EUPHORIA is settling in nicely:

CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC gets too much shade but still produces pretty blooms:

RIBBIT RIBBIT was a bonus from Judy Davisson last year:

And finally ROCK LOBSTER, one of the Hansons I've had longest:

Chris

Comments (13)

• shive
    10 years ago

Clown Parade is looking grand! Chilled Euphoria and Crosstown Traffic both have beautiful colors. But I think my favorite is Safe Island. I added that one this spring, after seeing so many of your great photos over the years and realizing it has an applique throat. As far as I know, it's the only daylily that is not lavender, purple or maroon that has an applique. Mine is blooming but the flowers are very small on the new plant, not ruffled, and definitely not that gorgeous color that yours has.

Debra

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

CLOWN PARADE: is always a beauty no matter whos garden its in.I love MICHIGAN MAGIC , that's gorgeous, pink.SAFE ISLAND is gorgeous, too.CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC is my favorite today.

jean

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Lots of bright ones to start the season, and I know you like them bright. Michigan Magic is an alluring color; hope it eventually works its magic.

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Your picks of the day are all beautiful, will be about impossible to narrow down to a favorite or two. Great photo of Clown Parade, beautiful daylily. Wispy Rays is so bright, love it. Crosstown Traffic is a beautiful color, and they are all very pretty

• marricgardens
    10 years ago

Clown Parade is my favorite bi color. It is so pretty. Charming Charlie is such a nice shade of red with the white midribs. Marg

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

Love CHARMING CHARLIE, CROSSTOWN TRAFFIC, ROCK LOBSTER and of course love CLOWN PARADE.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! I just checked Clown Parade and it looks as good now as it did this morning. I planted it as a double fan last year and it's increased to six fans and is loaded with buds. I wish every daylily would behave that way.

Debra, I hope you like Safe Island as much as I do. Some days it's more pink, and some days it's more coral, but the blooms are always pretty and plentiful.

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

I think Safe Island and Crosstown Traffic are my favorites, but Clown Parade seems to be a fantastic plant everywhere.
    Chris does Wispy Rays bloom on short scapes for you?
    Val

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

You know I love watermarks so CHILLED EUPHORIA caught my eye right away.
    Just beautiful pics Chris.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

All of those pretty brights, how am I going to choose just one? I always love Clown Parade and it looks really good and bright. Rok Lobster looks huge, is it? Wispy Rays is a bright pretty one, in fact, you don't have any that aren't my kind of bloom. I think I will go with Safe Island as my favorite. It is lovely.
    kay

• deangreen
    10 years ago

safe island gets my vote! :)

• lalalandwi
    10 years ago

Aha! Clown Parade! Last I'd been on this forum it was the rant! Can't remember who started it but it took off like gangbusters with it's plant habits. Fantastic! I will get that cultivar & soon!

Chilled Euphoria is magnificent! I will now put in a rant about Hanson. Not 1 of his plants exhibited rust down here! Not like I have a ton as I got rid of many moving down here afraid they wouldn't make it. The ones that I did keep not only excelled in rust resistance they performed beautifully! Who would have thought? He may be my new mentor :)

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, Julia, we like our watermarks!

Kay, Rock Lobster is a nice size 6" bloom here, but like most Hansons, blooms on tall scapes, which I prefer.

Deangreen, thanks for the endorsement for Safe Island.

Val, I've never had a problem with Wispy Rays blooming on short scapes. The scape isn't as stout as you'd expect with those huge blooms, but they seem to hold up fine.

Lala, I love my Hansons and grow almost 100 different ones here. And I'm smitten with Clown Parade, too. You should definitely add that one.