Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Cool Hand Luke and a Liitle Voodoo for Friday

shive
10 years ago

It's so wonderfully cool today. I worked all morning in the garden. I'd love to have this weather every day!

COOL HAND LUKE is still blooming on the original scapes, and two well-budded rebloom scapes are on the way!

FRAGRANT BOUQUET

THAT VOODOO THAT YOU DO SO WELL

SENECA SPIRIT

PRETTY DESIRABLE

EDGE OF YOUR SEAT

NORTH WIND CURLY JOE

LINDA BECK reblooming

WONDER OF IT ALL reblooming

MELEE

LAST SNOWFLAKE

LAVENDER STARDUST

Debra

Comments (14)

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

COOL HAND LUKE is a beauty today.Love the color of

THAT VOODOO THAT YOU DO SO WELL , but not fond of the teeth on it. SENECA SPIRIT is a very pretty one. lOve them white ones
    LINDA BECK is always so pretty, and I Love WONDER OF IT ALL as you already know,and its my avorite of the group.MELEE is still a very pretty one, too and LAST SNOWFLAKE has always been a beauty, too.. yyou are getting lots of eblooms, too.most of mine that's got rebloom scaped has only got one scape, but, a couple has 2 rebloom scapes coming.CHINA BRIDE has 3 coming so far. Had 7 last year.

jean

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Pretty Desirable and Northwind Curly Joe are my favorites. I want to add more UFs and especially cascades here, but don't know a source to find the ones I like. I've added a bunch from J. Davisson but could use more recommendations. Any help?

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Chris - I got both North Wind Curly Joe (Schaben) and Pretty Desirable (Gossard) as bonuses with other Lily Auctions. NWCJ came from Mike Grossman of Northern Lights Daylilies. He has a website with photos. I've bought from him - including one of his intros - and the plants are very heatlhy. The seller who gifted me with Pretty Desirable was De, from whom I bought three Hansons. Other sellers that have lots of UFs are Oakhill Daylilies in Illinois and Partridge Hill Gardens (Ellen Laprise's intros look good, and you might like them.) What about Margo Reed and Jim Murphy at Woodhenge Gardens? Cascades are a top breeding priority of theirs. I adore Nan Wilkerson's intros. Although she is located in the South, a lot of her intros go back to Webster's Pink Wonder and other Webster UFs that are hardy in the North. There's also Mystic Meadow Daylilies, owned by Pam Hoffman who used to post here on Garden Web. She's a northern grower who would give you the true scoop on performance.

Debra

• maximus7116
    10 years ago

Thanks, Debra. I just looked at Woodhenge last night and didn't see many cascades I liked, but a lot of interesting UFs. I added Gossard's White Eyes Pink Dragon this year, but it isn't getting enough sun and will have to be moved. I'll check out the other sources you named (except for one: bad experience on the LA). Thanks!

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

Voodoo at your house huh, Debra? That's quite pretty and so is cool Hand Luke, but Mellee, Linda Beck, and Edge of Your Seat are my picks.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Lavender stardust is so reliable. Melee looks interesting.

• timhensley
    10 years ago

Edge of you seat and Wonder of it all are stunning! Add those to my wish list.

• newyorkrita
    10 years ago

You saved the best for last with LAVENDER STARDUST.

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

WONDER OF IT ALL looks to be so over ruffled but cute.
    LAVENDER STAR DUST is so soft looking.

Glad you enjoyed your cool gardening day.

Julia

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all for the comments!

Mantis, Rita and Julia - Lavender is an oldie I will always grow. While not as well budded this year as in the previous two, it does provide plenty of pretty flowers that always open well and hold well in the heat.

Tim - Edge of Your Seat is a wonderful performer, and it would do well in your climate. Wonder of It All has trouble opening after cool nights. The only reason I keep it is for hybridizing. It does set EVERY pod.

Debra

• nat4b
    10 years ago

I like that polychrome look of Fragrant bouquet, love the edges on That Voodoo! Edge of Your Seat is very ornate, and I love both Linda Beck and Wonder of It All, and my absolute favorite is Last Snowflake!

• jkayd_il5
    10 years ago

Edge of Your Seat is a pretty one. I really like Wonder of It All but only half or my blooms open right. Does yours do better or is it just my central Illinois location?

• shive
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jkayd - One third of my blooms on Wonder of It All do not open properly, more if it's a cool night. That daylily should not be grown in the north. Beautiful flower when it does open right.

Debra

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I'm going with Seneca Spirit and Lavender Stardust, beauties both. Avedon

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living