Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
juliet11_gw

Salty Skipper/Bud Bennett Open Garden

juliet11
13 years ago

My clump of Salty Skipper (hybridized by Bud Bennett) looked particularly good yesterday so I thought I'd share a photo (it looked much better in real life):

It is not a true pink for me - has a hint of orange to it.

Not quite as many flowers today, but still good:

I visited Bud Bennett's open garden yesterday and it was gorgeous as usual. Here's a couple photos:

Several of you mentioned when I posted photos a few days ago that you wanted Salty Skipper. Mr. Bennett had a large clump of it in his garden, so I asked him if he was planning to divide it soon. He said he was planning to divide it later this summer and hopefully he could get it done in time for our mid-August daylily club sale. But if he isn't able to do it by then, he's just going to save a few fans for himself and compost the rest because it isn't worth it to him to line it out. (He doesn't ship after July 15.) I thought this was a shame and that if any of you would definitely want to order it from him he might be willing to save some for you to ship in the spring. (Unfortunately, his minimum order is $25, but Salty Skipper will probably only cost $5-$10.) So if anyone happens to be interested, you can e-mail me your address and I'll ask him to mail you his price list in the spring.

Juliet

P.S. I wasn't sure if I should post this, but I hate to think of a beautiful daylily getting composted if someone would really want it.

Comments (34)

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

What a nice thing your doing Juliet. I hope someone takes you up on the offer as it would be shame to see if composted.

Julia

• katlynn719
    13 years ago

Hi Juliet, Just sent you an email. Loved your pics of Salty Skipper and the Bennett's garden - beautiful! Thanks -
    Kathy

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Juliet,
    I love that flower! The picture is beautiful, and I sent you an email.
    kay

• uroboros5
    13 years ago

WOW... hard to imagine something looking better than that in Real Life!

• nancykvb
    13 years ago

Beautiful Salty Skipper and thanks for the garden pictures.

Nancy VB

• olga_6b
    13 years ago

I would love to pay and pick up Salty Skipper or any other of his lovely dylilies, if they are available. I live 30 min from his home, so will be able to come whenever he digs them up. I was at the open house this Sunday and was so impressed by his garden and plants.
    I don't know how I can communicate this to him, but I certainly would be happy to buy daylilies from his garden.
    Olga

• juliet11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone who e-mailed me about Salty Skipper. Mr. Bennett is happy to know that so many people like his daylily! You should hear from him soon.

Juliet

• FlowerGardener
    13 years ago

I also sent you an email message. Salty Skipper is beautiful.

• jean_ar
    13 years ago

It certainly is a beautiful daylily and his garden is gorgeous.

Jean

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    9 years ago

Know this is an old post, but have been looking for Salty Skipper and was wondering if it is being sold anywhere. I have several of Bud's daylilies and really like them.
    Judith

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Alameda,
    Send me a message. I have Salty Skipper, and love it. We may be able to trads, since I really like his daylilies.

kay

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Just sent an e-mail to Juliet, and hope to acquire a plant of Salty Skipper. I have always loved the pictures of it posted here, and hope I get lucky. Avedon

• avedon_gw
    9 years ago

Well, I see I had a senior moment--totally missed that this post is four years old. When this went up, I had only had a computer for a month, and I wasn't doing anything about DLS, didn't start until 2011. Too bad, I would love to have have this daylily growing here. Avedon

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

Keep up with me next year, Avedon, all is not lost. Juliet put me in touch with Bud and I got Salty Skipper from him. As Juliet said it is prettier than the photos show. It multiplies nicely, and I have promised Alameda a start in exchange for for one of her Bennets, but by next year I can probably get you a start.
    kay

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    9 years ago

Salty Skipper is a really pretty one. Hard to imagine how many great daylilies have been tossed when the demands of aging make it impossible to keep up. There was a recent discussion about Mr. Bennet because someone posted a beautiful picture of Wild Cherry Wine. That post along with this one makes me wish that his daylilies had been more widely available. This one along with Wild Cherry Wine are both dormants and after last winter I am much more interested in nice looking dormant daylilies. I hope you get it Avedon and keep his achievmentst going............Maryl

• Mike
    8 years ago

Maryl all is not lost, Bennetts Daylilies may soon have a new owner. Stay tuned.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    8 years ago

That's so exciting. I know Ed is really wanting Wild Cherry Wine. I'm sure many of us will be interested in taking another look at Mr. Bennet's introductions now that some pictures of his daylilies have been posted and so well received on this forum........Maryl

• organic_kitten
    8 years ago

That is very exciting. I really like every one I have of his, and this first post, of Juliette's is the one that led to my getting Salty Skipper. which is a wonderful plant.

kay

• Ed
    8 years ago

Great to hear Mr. Bennett's flowers will continue to be available. It would be such a loss if they were no longer available.

To Mr. Colella, if I (we) can help in some way, let us know. Best of luck to you.

• shive
    8 years ago

I am very happy to hear there may stilll be a source for the Bennett daylilies!

• Mike
    8 years ago

We have a lot to learn, and will definitely accept assistance from the 'lily' community to continue this legacy. Our biggest task at the moment is to control a massive weed population that has invaded the gardens.

• Ed
    8 years ago

If it was me, probably the best way to tackle it, is to prepare a new bed, then dig the plants, clean the weeds from the roots, thoroughly, then replant and label.

• ruthz
    8 years ago

This is good news.

I would love to see pictures some of you have, for the ones I don't have.

I have four and would really like to add Salty Skipper and others.

• Mike
    8 years ago

Thanks for this post; Salty Skipper and others will be available, once they start blooming and I can ID them. Can they be divided anytime, or just in spring??

• daylilybedmaker
    8 years ago

Mike,

When I lived in MD, I divided them anytime. Now that I live in NY, I still divide any time. The only problem when dividing them when they are blooming is that you might knock some buds off and some buds may fail to perform as expected due to being disturbed.

David

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago

I would wait till August once they start blooming. August and early September here are a great time to plant. Feel free to post pics here, as David is likely to be able to ID unknowns.

• Ed
    8 years ago

Good to hear progress is being made. Dividing and lining out is usually done in the fall, but you can do some early in spring and the plants will recover and bloom.

• ruthz
    8 years ago

Mike, where will we be able to order from?

I have a few Bennett's and would love to add Salty Skipper and maybe others. Wild Cherry Wine is my favorite daylily.

• Ed
    8 years ago

ruthz,

Do you have enough WILD CHERRY WINE for a trade?

And what has happened to the ability to message other members?

• mantis__oh
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ed, if you and your intended recipient have not enabled message sending, then you cannot send messages. To enable: Click on "Your houzz" in upper right-hand corner, then on "Edit Profile" in upper right hand corner, Then click on "advanced settings," the last item in the left hand column under "account." Scroll down till you come to "Privacy settings" and there indicate who can send you a message.

• Ed
    8 years ago

Thanks mantis

• ruthz
    8 years ago

Sorry Ed, I don't have enough Wild Cherry Wine to trade. Maybe that's one Mike will have for sale.

• Mike
    8 years ago

As long as I can ID all these plants, I'm sure there will be plenty to trade. Not sure weather I will get into selling at the moment. Most likely I'd be happy to trade info for some plants.