Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nat4b

Tuesday Blooms

nat4b
11 years ago

Weeks and weeks of heat (was 103 yesterday) and only half an inch of rain in July and I don't remember any in June.

Stellas and Happy Returns are reblooming now but both have rebloom scapes so short that at first I didn't even notice HR bloom so low in the foliage it was.

This is the last flower on the one identified as Chicago Knobby (has been good this year)

{{gwi:864076}}

Chance Encounter - only couple buds left under this flower

{{gwi:864078}}

Black Lace Conspiracy - also good this season

{{gwi:864079}}

Russian Easter

{{gwi:864081}}

Forsyth Frostbound on a shorter instant rebloom scape

{{gwi:864083}}

Guilded Appeal - first day with a single bloom, had 5-7 flowers open almost every day

{{gwi:864084}}

Petunia

{{gwi:864085}}

Francis of Assisi

{{gwi:864087}}

Utopia or Oblivion

{{gwi:864088}}

Last spotty bloom on Chocolate Cherry Dreams

{{gwi:864089}}

Last unknown orange

{{gwi:864090}}

and the last two blooms on Cosmic Traveler

{{gwi:864091}}

Thanks for looking!

Comments (14)

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    11 years ago

Nice daylily to end your post with. Cosmic Traveler is my favorite, with Chance Encounter coming in 2nd. But all of them are pretty considering the weather. I just noticed that my Happy Returns too has some scapes blooming low in the leaves now. Good for us......Maryl

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Guilded Appeal has performed so well for you. But I don't see anyone that sells it; it has eased into oblivion. Cosmic Traveler is one that exceeded my expectations. Your pic captures the color very well.

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Very pretty blooms still. I think I like Chance Encounter the best, but it was a close race with cosmic Traveler.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

COSMIC TRAVELER is very pretty. I see it is a EV and it overwinters fine for you? How is the scape height?

Julia

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

Julia,

For me, the first year the scapes on CT were fairly short, but this year they are in the 25-26" range.

• JJOF
    11 years ago

Beautiful! My faves are the unknown orange and Forsyth Frostbound. Your petunia's are so nice!
    Jason

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

CHANCE ENCOUNTER is a beauty and my favorite.

jean

• shive
    11 years ago

So both of us had instant rebloom on Forsyth Frostbound. Mine was so pretty at the beginning of the season before it got bleached by the long stretch of triple digit temps. I'm picking Cosmic Traveler as my top favorite, with Utopia or Oblivion a close second.

Debra

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

With that kind of heat it is a wonder that anything is looking good but they all look great! Russian Easter would be my favorite.

• nat4b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks a lot everybody!
    Maryl, at least HR always reblooms ;)
    Mantis, I asked for Guilded Appeal as a bonus but don't remember now from where. I googled it and couldn't find any pic so I thought ok, bonus is going to be a surprise :)
    Julia, I never measured the scape, looks normal to me.
    Debra, I get so used to bleached flowers so when I sometimes look at the earlier or last year pics I am like wow, it could look so nice and bright :)
    I see one plus with this heat - most of the dl's didn't have trouble opening!
    Jason thanks for mentioning the petunias ;)
    And speaking of potted plants, my DH found a scape on a new daylily (I potted them up in June). It's Incendiary

• houstmag
    11 years ago

Cosmic Traveler is my favorite of a great looking group.
    Linda

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

Cosmic Traveler and Forsyth Frostbound are my favorites. It sure has been a dry year, even here where it usually isn't. Thankfully daylilies are fairly forgiving. I'm surprised you're getting rebloom, especially since it's so dry but congrats on them squeezing out a few 'extras' for you.
    Celeste

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Given your weather conditions, these look fantastic. I was going for all the purples, but then there's Forsyth Frostbound, and sure can't overlook that one, or any of them for that matter. I must confess, today I am really loving Utopia Or Oblivion and absolute favorite is Cosmic Traveler. Avedon

• nat4b
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Linda, Celeste, Avedon!

I measured the scapes on Cosmic Traveler today, the ones that didn't bloom (dried out) are 25-26, and the one that did is 29 inches.

Celeste, it is all instant rebloom but so many of them had it! I was happy to see it. Look for it in your daylilies too!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!