Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Mid-Week Blooms

maximus7116
10 years ago

Most of these shots are taken in part shade because it was nice and sunny today (just bad for my camera):

GOLDEN SCROLL, a great oldie:

CAMEROONS, another oldie, has had its best year yet. Every bloom has been perfect:

UP ON THE ROOF is a towering Hanson. To the right is Yazoo Elsie Hintson at 32" to give you an idea as to its height. Great bonus plant from Curt:

AARON BROWN gave me its final bloom today and the only one worth photographing. It's been here two years so I hope next year it really settles in:

TAO OF PHYSICS FFO -- I'm going to like this one:

Chris

Comments (11)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Yes, great picture of Aaron Brown, but not good commentary. Golden Scroll for some reason I eliminated; your pic is framed with a perfect contrasting color. How tall is Up on the Roof?

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

fantastic pictures again. love TAO OF PHYSICS . now that's a beauty,Looks like UP ON THE ROOF IS A tall one. I just don't like the too tall ones, they end up with the bloom laying on the ground, like my BEAUTIFUL EDGINGS, was laying on the graound yesterday morning, and today, too.Done know what heppend to my bamboo stake I had for it.I have had to put a stake by a couple blooms on it each year, to hold it up, the scapes are just bnot stount enough to hold a bunch of blooms and buds.GOLDEN SCROLL is a very pretty one, also.

jean

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

I hope Aaron Brown settles in for you because it's gorgeous! It's one I thought I wanted, but now I wonder. Cameroons and Tao of Physics look great too.
    Val

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm going to be patient with Aaron Brown because I love the bloom so much. I added it in 2011, so this is only its second full year in the garden.

Up on the Roof is 53" tall and has scapes like tree trunks, so they're not bothered by multiple blooms or wind. It would be a great anchor for the middle of an island bed. Hanson has a couple other really tall ones I've been trying to get: Ohio Sky and Sky Captain. Notify Ground Crew is already here but hasn't really done well in the spot where it's planted.

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

Great blooms, I really do like all of them. Up On The Roof is way tall, good to know it has strong scapes so it doesn't have to be staked. Avedon

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Avedon. I like being able to look at a daylily at eye level instead of bending over to see 12" plants, so I appreciate the tall ones.

• deangreen
    10 years ago

great pic of the golden one, and great pairing with the phlox!!! super good. :)

• organic_kitten
    10 years ago

I don't blame you, I would be patient with Aaron Brown too. It's a lovely bloom and my favorite of all the brights today. My kind of blooms, definitely.
    kay

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Aaron Brown is beautiful but CAMEROONS is my favorite. Love the watermark on it.

Julia

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Really like that picture of Golden Scroll surrounded by phlox. Up On the Roof is really tall! I like tall daylilies too, especially nice when scapes are sturdy. Aaron Brown is beautiful, how many flowers did it have? I have several planted in 2011 which still have just a few flowers, I don't know maybe drought set them back or it's a location.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nat, I think I had maybe 6-7 blooms on Aaron Brown this year, but they were all splotchy except the last one. I've loved the looks of this daylily from the first time I saw it, so I'll be extra patient. And you're right, the drought last year definitely didn't help any plants settle in.