Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Project Pictures

newyorkrita
11 years ago

Always something going on in the garden around here.

One thing that got done here these past few days was the cutting back of two shrubs at the end of the driveway.

The one on the left is a russian olive and a red shrub honeysuckle on the right.

My neighbor came over one day last week with two Margaritas. She is drinking one, hands the other to me and chit chats until I drink about half of it. Big ones, strong too! So I am mellow by now. Then she takes these hand prunners out of her back pocket and asks if she can trim some on those two shrubs at the end of the driveway because since the trees came down in the park, she has a view of the water. Except my shubs messing up the view. So we go down the driveway and she trims off a few small branches. Not much help on the view. So I go get my big rachet loper prunners and we start cutting away. Pilling the branches out by the curb on the street by her house and the pile ends up as tall as I am! So this was what was left after our Margarita inspired prunning session. Man, don't drink and prune or this is what is left ha-ha LOL!

Afew days later the shrubs got cut way back to the base as they looked to strange otherwise.

Just a bunch of stumps left!

I like to use straw as a much.

Here is the front pond area after mulching the pathway.

View from the other direction.

And I did some more work on the driveway side area were I moved all those daylilies. You can also see the tomato sack un this picture as it just sits on my driveway.

I added a row of those edger pavers I use around the yard here in back of the row of daylilies. This way I could backfill with some soil in back of them to make the area more level.

Then I just mulched with straw.

Closeup to see the edger pavers. Daylily row in front.

The daylily in the pictures is SELLSTATION SUNSET. It needs to be moved forward as soon as it is done blooming.

Comments (21)

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW!!!! Looks like you really got in a pruning mood.nothing left now but stubs.Course, you could get the yard man to dig out the rest of them and have more veggie space for more tomatoes :-))It looks very nice Rita; Do you have little fish in your little pond there?I sure do like that SELLSTATION SUNSET daylily, its very pretty, but what is that red one against the fence?Looks pretty, too.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, that reddish daylily is Pinhill Claret Symphony.

I do have little fish in the pond. My fish from last year came thru the winter great but two weeks ago when we had that freak storm I found them all dead two days later. Can't figgure out what happened. So I went to the pet shop and stocked up on feeder fish. They cost $2.00 for 25 of them but they are really small.

Don't encourage me to make space for more tomatoes as I just might do exactly what you said ha-ha. Oh the tomato crazies are really bad this year LOL!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

A lttle liquid refreshment can get you into all sorts id interestinf adventures. One thing about it, the shrubs will grow back. What a clever, sneaky neighbor. what a laugh! You are so much further ahead on your garden changes than I am, it is amazing. I won't be able to do hard work until it cools off here some. I don't have those 104s and above that some of you have, but the h8umid 97s will keep me indoors.

Love that Sellstation Sunset, Rita.
    kay

• Nancy
    11 years ago

What a wonderful idea! Wonder if I took my neighbor a nice strong marguerita if is could get him tipsy enough to cut his dead trees out before they fall on me? Hum, they would probably all fall on me anyway, DH & I would still have to clean them up.
    Your daylilies look so good, I just love Sellstation Sunset.

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

Rita, you need to get the daylily, Frozen Margarita---check out the last four letters--rita--this one is definitely for you. Also, if you read the post about daylilies with most buds, Debra posted that this one was one of her best this year. I know I am thinking about it, and hey! I like margaritas (the drink), too. Avedon

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kay, I have to get more of the projects done earlier in the year than you do or I run into winter before I get them done.

Nancy, get him so drunk that he thinks it was his idea to cut down the trees. :-))

Avedon, actually Margaritas would not be my drink of choice. I think this might even be my first time that I had them. But hey, I am not about to turn down something already made and ready to drink.

My favorite mixed drink is an old fashioned one called a Manhatten. Basicly whiskey with some Vermouth. But I like Pina Coladas also. And akll sorts of wine or wine coolers.

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well,RITA, Just trying to help you out in finding places for the veggies. Seems like a ideal place to me.They wouldnt grow high enough to mess up your neighbors view of the water.and could always plant a little portulaca along the edge and let it flop over your little pavers. would look nice.:)
    oh guess you didnt post pictures today of the daylilies blooming?????

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, I really do want more room for my veggies next year so am always open to suggestions! :-))

Nope, only this one post today.

• mizellie
    11 years ago

very nice Rita. those poor shrubs don't know what hit them...That what Tequila does to you!! It seemed to give you lots of energy though...Ellie

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Well,it does look like a pretty good space there, looks big in the pictures.and would get plenty sunshine there (and neighbors could come pick there own tomatoes)course, you could put a little sign close by, NO PICKING THE TOMATOES.:)That would give you two spots by that fence for veggies.

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Honestly, If anyone had seen us prunning and laughing about it while we were chopping at them it really was too funny. Actually now that I remember one of the regular dog walkers that we both know came by but quickly left. Maybe she was afraid we would put her to work or maybe just though we were too nutsey ladies there wacking away at those poor shrubs.

Jean, I am afraid it might be too close to the street to grow veggies. And a sign saying no picking would surely guarantee that they would be picked!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

well, Golly, Rita, just trying to help you out with places for your tomatoes .

Maybe some bush cucumbers there?
    Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We'll see. I am thinking on it LOL!!!

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

2500 bulbs!!!?

I had only 750 last year and I was very tired of bulbs when I was through planting. Don't envy you Rita, but it will be beautiful in the spring. 2500! Wow!
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yep. Just over 2,500 bulbs. I really got carried away. I ordered tulips, daffodils and crocus. Talk about a project. Planting them really will be a project!

• celeste/NH
    11 years ago

That is a funny story, Rita. Sounds like it would be FUN times to live next door to you! I would have laughed my butt off had I been walking by and witnessed the great tree massacre...LOL. The trees will probably send up shoots from the base of the leftover stumps. I lopped my lilac trees down to the ground a few years back (because they were getting leggy, not because of margaritas) and they came back fuller and bushier than ever. Honestly Rita, I think either you should move next door to me, or me next door to you because we both are always embarking on major projects and we could get into so much trouble together...haha.

Celeste

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh I can just see it now. Whacked down shrubs and cockeyed stone beds inspired by Margarita Coctail hour. Too, too funny!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

well,I guess I missed some thing that I can not find.No where have ai read that Rita has 2500 bulbs coming to plant.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jean, It was not posted on this thread but on anothyer thread. But it's true. I ordered them from a bunch of places but I really have so many comming. Spring should look stunning!

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Wow RITA:Thats a lot of bulbs to plant this fall.Hopefully, you can get them all planted before winter.No LILIES???

jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No, I didn't buy any lilies (or even daylilies) this year. I just bought those spring bulbs. Tulips, daffodils, crocus and also some dutch iris. But I do so love when they bloom in the spring. Going to HAVE to get them planted as I ordered them and I surely will not let them go to waste!