Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dani_plus_2

WARNING- do not use EcoSmart Grass & Weed Killer

dani_plus_2
13 years ago

I just sprayed this on my grass inbetween the cracks in my sidewalk. Within 10 minutes I had THOUSANDS of Japanese Beetle swarming the area that I sprayed! THOUSANDS! They are weighing down the plants there are so many. Some even got tangled in my hair. I had to go out and buy a chemical spray to kill them. Hundreds are STILL swarming right now. I'll have to wait until they calm down more and spray again. I left a message with the EcoSmart Company about it complaining about how they should have a warning on their product. I'm in the process of contacting the UW right now. I'm so angry right now I could cry!

The Walmart manager hung up on me because I was so upset I said "that I had to spray chemical *hit" on everything. Gee, thanks for understanding. Guess he doesn't have a garden.

Just a warning if you don't like Japanese Beetles.

Dani

Comments (20)

• dani_plus_2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did some research... Eugenol is the ingredient in this stuff that is an ATTRACTANT for beetles. Glad they used it in thier WEED CONTROL.

Dani

• nancykvb
    13 years ago

Thank you for the warning...I HATE Japanese Beetles. I removed my Rosa Rugosa because it attracted them. I would be just as upset as you are!
    I agree there should be a warning on the front of the bottle about attracting J Beetles.
    Sorry this had to happen to you.

Nancy VB

• Julia WV (6b)
    13 years ago

Oh Dani I'm sorry to hear this happened. Glad you posted this as I would not want an attractant sprayed in the garden.

Julia

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

Oh my! I'm sorry to hear this happened too.
    Remy

• shive
    13 years ago

What a shock to have all those Japanese Beetle descending on your place. Very Twilight Zone!

Debra

• opnjmprs
    13 years ago

Sorry to hear what this product has put you through. It has given me ideas of a way to put it to some good use though. I might try spraying that in the bottom of my beetle trap bags before hanging just to see if they fill up faster. :-)

Linda

• suel41452
    13 years ago

Yikes!!! What a nightmare - Japanese beetles are a horrible pest. Thanks for the warning.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

Dani,
    Thank you being so generous and warning everyone about this. The Japanese beetles are a scourge on gardeners. I cannot imagine what a nightmare that has been for you.
    kay

• conniemcghee
    13 years ago

Yikes, that sounds like a nightmare! Thank you for warning us.

• jcpsyd_sbcglobal_net
    12 years ago

I wish I had read your warning before I used EcoSmart. I had the same experience with Janpanese beetles! I have NEVER seen so many beetles. I tried to wash the spray off of my patio, but it seemed to have little effect on reducing the incoming swarms of beetles. I also immediatedly used a chemical pesticide on all of my flowering plants to try to minimize the damage, but it hasn't stopped the swarms of beetles from continuing to come. I guess my next step will be to use a detergent wash on my patio to try to get rid of the remaining Eugenol. I hope it works!

• stephanie_in_mn
    9 years ago

Another thanks. Was researching an herbicide listed in Prairie Moon's catalog -- Phydura. Researched it, found a paper in which it, Round Up, and EcoSMART were compared. Had planned on buying EcoSMART, it appears (in the lab) to work quite well and Phydura really doesn't -- but then JB could also be considered an herbicide -- thank you for posting! JB recently became established locally and I really don't want to encourage them.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    9 years ago

Thanks for the warning! I would be crying too. Hope things are better soon.

Sherry

• john_in_az
    9 years ago

That is too bad that is happening to you. I live in Arizona and it has worked great without attracting any sort of beetles. As a matter of fact, I went back to Home Depot to buy more and they only carry the insect killer from Eco Smart.

• stockphoto
    8 years ago

The active ingredient is Rosemary Oil according to the label on my 64 oz EcoSmart Organic Weed and Grass Killer. Did the active ingredient change recently? My two bottles were purchased in summer of 2014.

I just moved from the Northwest to J Beetle infested North Carolina. I've been an organic gardener for close to 40 years and used EcoSmart Organic Weed and Grass Killer in the Northwest since its introduction with no problems.

Both my outdoor plants at my house and my vegetable garden plot at a farm here in North Carolina have a J Beetle problem. As an experiment I've sprayed EcoSmart in some areas near the house. Results .... not a single beetle. Tried it a second time ... same results. Took some to the coop garden and tried it on a small patch close to the garden .... same results and a second time same results also.

The only problem I've had with the Eco Smart product is too much air in the sprayer hose causing a little extra hand pumping to get an effective spray.

• Candace Sinclair
    8 years ago

I live in Southern Oregon where there a lot of beetles (though not Japanese) and I use EcoSmart Weed killer all the time and have never had that problem. It does smell like massage oil.

• remy_gw
    8 years ago

According the search I just did Eugenol is an active ingredient unless there was a very recent change. MSDS Sheet for EcoSmart Grass and Weed Killer.
    Also Eugenol is an attractant for Japanese Beetles. It is an active ingredient in traps for them. That though does not mean that it attracts other types of beetles.

• DaveinVA (7a)
    8 years ago

Sorry you had to endure this but I do appreciate the heads up.

• tafreitas
    7 years ago

Sorry to hear your problem. I have used ecosmart for 1 1/2 years now. I use it a great deal as i live on a acher. I have never had any problems using it. When I researched many weed killers and found they are the safest around pets and children not including vinager which only works some of the time. My cats don't seem to like the smell which I am greatful for. I don't care for the smell either but it works for me. I really appreciate you letting us know.

• dick_in_ohio
    7 years ago

I opnce tried to convince a K-Mart manager that the label was wrong on dozens of Phlox reticulata plants but he refused to listen.

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    7 years ago

Kmart - Wikipedia - In January 2017, Kmart announced a further 78 stores would close,

Now see what you gone and done already.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting