Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maximus7116

Cool Temps in Michigan

maximus7116
10 years ago

Our weather has cooled off quite a bit in the last few days (and especially nights), so the color on a lot of daylilies has been different. Here's the best from the last few days:

SWEET CHILD OF MINE (thank you, Debra):

Tiger Lily and Phlox:

YAZOO ELSIE HINTSON, a reliable oldie:

Weekly photo of CATASTROPHE WAITRESS, with plenty of buds left:

AZTEC BEAUTY has had lots more blooms this year:

SUBSPACE FREQUENCY, a bonus:

RIBBIT RIBBIT showing a much darker color that usual:

HEAVENLY ANGEL ICE continues to convince me it needs to be here next year:

And finally RUBY LIPSTICK. It's hard to believe this was just planted last year:

Chris

Comments (10)

• mantis__oh
    10 years ago

Like that Subspace Frequencies. (I think Julia grows that one too; maybe she can comment on its performance.) Sweet Child is no wall flower either.

• gonegardening
    10 years ago

I have a soft spot for Yazoo Elsie Hintson. She/it was one of the very first extra large daylilies I collected. I can remember taking a picture of my hubs holding a quarter up against a bloom to show just how large it was...and then racing inside to post it here on gardenweb, lol. *fond memories*

I'm rescuing YEH from the backyard because those large blooms still did their thing this year, even when trying to grow amongst the monster weeds and running dogs.

I never tire of looking at your Catastrophe Waitress, so pretty. It also makes me laugh a bit because I continually picture a table full of people receiving mixed up meals or worse yet, plates sliding off a huge tray to disaster. Of course, that's kind of sick humor on my part, lol...because neither one is particularly funny if it actually happens.

Need I say more about HAI? Ha.

Ruby Lipstick continues to appeal to me but I refuse to hunt for it until I determine if there will actually be a space here. Besides I console myself with the thought that it would not be as beautiful here where so many things I see that look white to me are actually more yellowish. Darn orange clay.

And, all the others are looking mighty fine, too. Yay for cool weather!

• growgirl
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Catastrophe Waitress is my favorite with all those blooms going on. The daylily colors sure have been rich the last few days.

• maximus7116
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mantis, I'm seeing a trend here. Subspace Frequency and Josette Lise? Similar looks. Yes, I think Julia grows it. I believe I remember seeing one of those large annoying clumps of hers in one of her posts.

Growgirl, in case you haven't heard me drone endlessly about Catastrophe Waitress, it's a phenomenal flower with great habits. It's numero uno among my ranked daylilies.

Katie, I know how you feel about YEH. It was probably your pic that made me buy it, and it's a terrific daylily. HAI has earned its reprieve and will be moved to the better garden next year. I bought Ruby Lipstick because of Debra's photos, and it hasn't disappointed. It's not white here, but a light cream with a very vibrant eye.

• jean_ar
    10 years ago

more pretties today, I really like SUBSPACE FREQUENCY.very pretty one.,Its cooler here today too. had a brief shower earlier today.which we need badly.

jean

• shive
    10 years ago

Sweet Child is looking good, as is that nice, big clump of Catastrophe Waitress. I like the darker colored look on Ribbit Ribbit. You can really see the Bali Watercolor influence on a cooler day. Ruby Lipstick is lovely - as always in nearly any climate.

Debra

• Julia WV (6b)
    10 years ago

Nice group Chris. Actually it was your photos of SUBSPACE FREQUENCY which had me order it from Curt LOL. I really like that one so thanks for being an enabler ;-).

RUBY LIPSTICK really likes your garden zone. Such a sweet flower bloom. SWEET CHILD OF MINE looks to be a very large bloom. Nice photo of it.

Julia

• avedon_gw
    10 years ago

I got Yazoo Elsie Hintson from the LA in March and it arrived in April, an almost non-existent plant. We had it planted in a good place, and it has stayed alive, but just barely. It is now in the nursery bed where it is showing signs of real growth. It has even managed to put out a new small fan, so there is hope. I hope next year we will manage to see some blooms, for I love the look of this one and many people seem to like it even though it's an "oldie". You have many beautiful flowers here, and it's hard to pick favorites, so I'll choose all of them. I just scrolled up and down again to take another look--yep, all are great. Avedon

• Waitforspring
    10 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen anything but raves about Ruby Lipstick so if I ever make room enough to buy more it will be on my list. Those buds on Catastrophe Waitress are amazing. Another one for my must have list
    Val

• nat4b
    10 years ago

Beautiful daylilies! I especially like Ruby Lipstick and Aztec Beauty.