Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Late Blooming Hibbard Intros- Pics

newyorkrita
14 years ago

Many of you know that I bought all those late bloomers last fall from Isabel Hibbard here on Long Island. Some have started blooming and I have posted afew pictures. Afew more just started. Some are just showing scapes now, not near ready to bloom and there are some with no scapes yet.

So here are some pictures from yesterday and today of currently blooming Hibard intros. I should be adding to this thread as I get new ones blooming.

AUTUMN FAIR. Sorry for the poor quality picture but it was in an impossible spot.

EXIT STRATEDGY. I have posted better pics of this one but this was todays picture.

GIFT OF PEARLS just started blooming. Another lousey picture, sorry.

LAST CREAMSICLE just started blooming also.

Another that just started blooming, NO PURDE SER.

FAREWELL PARTY blooming for afew days.

The same for FINIAL CIRCLE.

And also for AMBER FINIALE.

And TOKAY WINE.

IMPERIAL BALL FFO. Its very pretty, I noticed it right away as soon as I got near there.

Comments (14)

• shive
    14 years ago

I think No Puede Ser and Imperial Ball are my favorites. Is this really late for you? I'll be interested in knowing which of your Hibbards blooms the latest and the longest. My Amber Finale has one bud left. I think it will do so much better next year in the new raised bed. It only got 4.5 hours of sun in its old place. Now it will get more than 9 hours of light.

Debra

Debra

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, this is late. My late ones I know are bloomers I had last year like Finial Destination from Karol and Victoriana from Brian Culver just opened first flowers today. But those Hibards starting last week I would not call lates, too early for lates. But I fould that it takes time for the daylilies to adjust to there new home and bloom at the correct time.

My Dale Thomas lates from last year are starting now. The first year they bloomed mid, like everything else. The new Dale Thomas' have bloomed mid also so they should turn late next year. The extra late bloomers I bought from Ollie will turn out to be truly late here, they are just showing scapes now.

Here is a picture of the garden I started last year for late bloomers. Last years Dale Thomas are here as well as those two mentioned from Karol and Brian. Then a Don Herr late and some new ones, one from Gerda Booker and two from Blueridge complete this garden. Its not my only late bloomers section though. I am trying very hard to extend my season here. Will see how it goes.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Adding to the Hibbard intros here are the ones blooming this weekend-

AMOUR ULTIMA FFO. You can't really tell in this picture but this is a big flower on tall scapes.

COUNTDOWN TO FALL

A much better picture of GIFT OF PEARLS.

And a much better picture of LAST CREAMSICKLE.

IMPERIAL BALL again. I really like this one.

And last is MUSIC OF THE NIGHT which is really a truely lovely flower.

• timberohio
    14 years ago

Wow how did I miss this thread. Love all the pics. I think my favorites so far are Music of the Night, Farewell Party and Gift of Pearls. Looks like you will be blooming way into August.

Andrea

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Maybe I could get my DH to like daylilies if I got Music of the Night. He loves the movie Phantom of the Opera:)

Seriously though, it is a very beautiful flower. I also like Imperial Ball. Something about a simple red that just can't be beat.

Vickie

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting all these. I am really liking Music of the Night and Imperial Ball!!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

AMOUR ULTIMA looking much better today.

FINIAL CIRCLE twins.

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

Oh My,I don't know how I missed this thread,but,I did.wow, you got some beauties here, too.I LOVE this NO PURDE SER,Its gorgeous.and I think TOKAY WINE is gorgeous, too,and so is MUSIC OF THE NIGHT. You really have some pretty ones starting to bloom.Love FINAL CIRCLE too.The twins are gorgeous..

Jean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its really nice to go out at the END of July and find FFO from my late bloomers. Some of them are just putting up scapes now. And if I get rebloom too then things should be good here :-))

• carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

the strategy for extending the bloom season is working. I am also looking at doing something similar so that I can have DL blooms longer in the yard. I will try to have them all Ls and VLs in one bed.
    'Music of the Night' is really very pretty!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have some late bloomers scattered in amoung the regular daylilies as I either didn't notice that they were lates or they didn't really bloom late. Seems to have taken them some time to get their acts together. Others just had not yet bloomed like Both North Wind Curly Joe and Up Against The Sun had FFO today. So did GUAVA JELLY, my Melanie Mason late bloomer, and Victoriana, from Brian Culver and Finial Destination from Karol just opened FFO the other day. FFO!!!! On July 28th. That is just fantastic.

Anyway. Last year I made a small daylily bed section with some of those late bloomers and the Dale Thomas intros I had then. I finished it this year. It is just really coming into bloom now, in fact not everything in it has had FFO yet.

Then I also last fall extended the Snapdragon garden by three rows of Hibbard lates and its ok this year but I can see that its going to pay off big time as sooon as these plants get some more time and size under them.

Plus I have some more Hibard lates as a partial row in the front yard so that looks good. Plus I also bought MORE Dale Thomas lates and VL this spring and put in a new daylily section by making that one row in front of the late blooming new Rechamps there in the second row. Again, those two rows barely look like anything but give them some time. And last but not least, I have another garden section that is those extra late blooming Olallie Daylilies I added last August. Some scapes showing there but not yet ready to bloom.

I really, really worked on this after bloom season last year because it was just over much too soon. I wanted to change that.

• carefreeplants_2008
    14 years ago

Rita,
    Wow! Those are really VLs, having their FFOs today. I am taking notes of the cultivars, because I don't really have any VL plants.
    I do have Autumn Jewels, which is a bloom machine here.
    I really appreciate you're sharing your plans and the garden pictures. Not only are they beautiful to look at, but also they help in visualizing and then, adapting what can be done to improve the garden looks and prolong bloom time.

Bj

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have a tendency to say late bloomers or my late bloomers and by that I lump the lates in there. That includes the VL and VVL. I just say my late bloomers.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

FINIAL FRONTIER FFO

Registered as VVL. Isabel said on her website that this starts in August and goes until September. Not quite August yet but here it is. You have to remember that all there are new .