Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celestialrose_nh

Please don't give up on me.....!

celeste/NH
11 years ago

Hey everyone,

There just aren't enough hours in a day for gardeners in the summertime, are there? I get up early and go to bed late just to get all my chores completed but then there has been no time to sit and chat with you all. Sorry I have been missing-in-action but I'm still here. It has been a struggle to keep up with watering (it's very dry), deadheading, picking japanese beetles, weeding, etc. all the while trying to care for Mom, Connor, pets, and the dreaded housework. (My house is D-I-R-T-Y right now what with all the dirt tracked in and no time for housework).

But boy, do I have pictures!!! I have so many that even though I can't post many now, I will be able to continue to post right through fall by the looks of it. So please don't give up on me posting. Also, I wish I had time to comment on each of your posts personally but I can't and I hope you will accept my thank you for all the lovely photos shared here.

Here is but a sampling of what is blooming now but I expect many more weeks of bloom by the looks of things.

Celeste

LEDGEWOOD'S FIRECRACKER

BARNEY

NEFERTITI

EYES ON THE PRIZE (planted in the fall and has one of the best bud counts already)

SILOAM PLUM TREE

MARIETTA WARRIOR (these blooms are HUGE and radiant)

GILDED BY GRACE

WONDER OF IT ALL (I wish this one wasn't so darn pretty when it actually opens. I am trying to decide if I should keep it or offer it to someone in a warm climate. It only opens about 50% of the time here.)

BLUE VOODOO

ESKIMO KISSES

VIEW OF LEFT BORDER (taken before japanese beetles attacked the roses)

view of both borders....(I have gardens everywhere, on both sides of the house and in the back which can't be seen in this photo. That's where my raised daylily beds are. Will post pics of them once I actually have time to upload them to Photobucket).

COLOR FUSION

AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL (HUGE blooms!)

Comments (21)

• newyorkrita
    11 years ago

Oh Celeste, I don't know how you manage all that you do. The pictures will still be there when things slow down so you can post then. Do things ever slow down with a garden except in Winter LOL?

Love love, love the front views and those gorgeous gardens. Simply stunning! I can't say it enough, just stunning, stunning!

Love your daylily blooms with MARIETTA WARRIOR being my favorite.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

Your garden is to die for. What a wonderful setting- with all of the mature trees and the grassy lawns! Incredible amounts of work must be involved. Bravo.
    Renee

• avedon_gw
    11 years ago

You know we will never give up on you, Celeste. I'm sure most of the Daylily Forum group knows just how much you have going on in your life. So, whenever you can post, we are all very happy and thrilled because we know we are going to see beautiful pictures. This post today is a perfect example of that. Just unbelievable beauty with your gardens and flower photos, always worth waiting for. I always like Barney, and certainly who could miss Marietta Warrior? That is one stunning daylily. Avedon

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

WOW!!!!! Beautiful, just beautiful.Love that border out front on both sides of the driveway. SImply gorgeous.and I love all the daylilies, but, you know my favorite one is WONDER OF IT ALL. CELESTE,Give that bloom time., and if its not in full sun the whold day, then move it to all day sun.It does like HEAT, but its just so pretty when that bloom opens.Give it time to show its stuff., Take tons of pictures and then you will have some to post this winter when we have no flowers.
    jean

• nat4b
    11 years ago

Oh, I can't even imagine how you are doing all this! And I feel so ashamed that my house is dirty though my garden is small and I don't have nearly as many responsibilities..
    Your views are spectacular! And daylilies look great. Love Eyes on the Prize (post the bud count please!), Wonder of It All is gorgeous, love Marietta Warrior, Gilded by Grace!!, Color Fusion and so on and so forth :)

• jkayd_il5
    11 years ago

Beautiful, all of them are beautiful. I really like Color Fusion. With all that green I can see you are one of the lucky ones the drought has missed. Judy

• Julia WV (6b)
    11 years ago

Great pics and I enjoyed seeing MARIETTA WARRIOR. Enjoy the gardening time while it lasts. Too soon those little white flecks will be falling and we will wish it was summer again...well, without the unbearable heat and humidity.

JP's seem to have slowed here and the Bag A Bug is working. Not a full bag but it does work. I still find a few on the flowers here and there when I do venture out.

Julia

• organic_kitten
    11 years ago

Your blooms are gorgeous, Celeste. sometimes, time runs out. You have a lot of balls to juggle, and you have to dod what you can. Your garden is gorgeous. I did see the birds going after the beetles some this year. I think that would be the salvation. Hateful little beasts! I liked Blue Voodoo and Barney, and always really like Ledgewood's Firecracker, but Marietta Warrior is my favorite. The roses are gorgeous as always, in fact, the garden is.
    kay

• mantis__oh
    11 years ago

The stone borders really make your garden distinctive. What is that tree with the many trunks? It is quite a specimen.

• Edward_Kimball
    11 years ago

Great picture of Barney. Mine will be having its first bloom tomorrow. I can't wait. Ledgewood's Firecracker looks like is screams across the garden.

Edward

• jodikay
    11 years ago

Wondeful! love the purples, especially gilded by grace. thanks for sharing a garden view. it really helps me on how to place daylilies in my garden.

Jodi

• caliloo
    11 years ago

Gorgeous photos and I bet your gardens are breathtaking in person! Congrats for many jobs well done!

Alexa

• mizellie
    11 years ago

Celeste, I am looking forward to more photo's from you. It's hard to chose a favorite because they are all beautiful. Your flower beds look scrumpous..Take a break and relax because you need to take care of yourself too!! Ellie

• Waitforspring
    11 years ago

Celeste, I lknow how you feel. I'm way behind and don't have as much on my plate as you do. Your garden is fabulous. I don't know how you do so much. I can't pick a favorite. There are just too many beauties, but I do llove the garden shots.
    Val

• jean_ar
    11 years ago

Fotgot The kitties name for a little while, but, give ZEUS a extra hug for me,and FAT CAT NEMO, too.Hope they are both doing fine.

jean

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

It was so nice to check in this morning and read all the nice comments from you all. THANK YOU so much! I am praying that all of you who need rain will get it soon. It has been so hot and dry here too and dragging the extra-long chain of garden hoses around from garden to garden is getting tedious and tiresome. I do so love all my gardens but I realize I am in over my head right now.

I was not surprised that many of you chose 'Marietta Warrior' as a favorite. John Shooter sent me that one as a bonus and looking at the photo of it I wasn't all that thrilled by it (but happy because I would never spend $75 on a daylily...haha). Then it bloomed....and it was instant love and amazement. It has to be seen in person to fully appreciate it. The red is so bright and the shape is circular, with that dramatic green eye. It looks much bigger than the 6 1/2 inches it measures. I wisely planted it in the border by the road and I have had people pull their cars over to get a better look. Some have asked what 'kind of flower' it is and when I tell them it's a daylily they don't believe me because the only daylilies they have seen are ditch lilies or Stella...LOL.

Mantis...the huge tree with all the trunks is a white pine. It is enormous and unfortunately shades my gardens but it would be too expensive to have someone remove it, especially so close to the power lines. I have a lot of huge trees because my property was all wooded when I moved here.

Jean...I will give 'Wonder of it All' another year to shape up. It's my husband's favorite (even though I have to drag him out to look at my flowers). It's one of the only ones that is in full sun so I don't know what more I can do to get it to open better. I will make sure to include photos of the kitty family in my next post.

Once again, I appreciate your taking the time to comment as I know we are all busy lately.

Celeste

• kathy9norcal
    11 years ago

Love your photos! I am amazed you have time to post as I know how busy you must be and getting photos ready to post takes time. You are an inspiration to me.

• celeste/NH
    Original Author
    11 years ago

THANK YOU, Kathy. I appreciate your comments. I guess I won't be working in the gardens today since it's terribly hot and humid out there in the mid-90s, which us northern folks can hardly stand since it doesn't happen that often.
    This will give me a day to focus on uploading all the photos from the past week and hopefully get more caught up.

Celeste

• houstmag
    11 years ago

I don't know how you manage to do it all I'm exhausted just thinking about it. It may be a lot of work but what a pay off for you, your gardens are awesome.
    Linda

• User
    11 years ago

Gorgeous. I especially love the Blue Voodoo.

• pippi21
    11 years ago

Aren't you afraid somebody will drive by and dig marietta warrior up at night? That beauty would be right where I could see it at all times! Especially since it is priced at $75 on their website. How long have you had it and have you had to divide it yet?